Super Contributor

Re: How do you store your Palettes?

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz, you're lucky.  Our double vanity in the master has one -- ONE -- drawer in eight linear feet. That single drawer has to be shared by me and my husband. The front of the vanity has five doors -- a pair under each basin, and one in the middle under the drawer. There are no dividers in the cabinets -- it's just one huge open space.

The spare bath has two smaller drawers in a smaller single vanity. There's a pair of doors in the middle under the basin, then single doors on each side underneath the drawers. Again, no dividers underneath - it's one large open space. I swear,

both bathrooms were designed by a man.

Super Contributor

@151949, "all that eyeshadow"? That's nothing -- you should see what some of us have.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kathie66, you hit on a problem -- palettes don't come in standard shapes. Even palettes from the same manufacturer don't come in the same shapes. Off the top of my head, my Bare Minerals, Laura Geller, Tarte, and IT palettes come in  numerous shapes and sizes. That makes storing and organizing difficult.

Right now, I have mine in a plastic organizer basket on the top of the bathroom vanity (it looks a lot like a mini laundry basket), and they're overflowing. Since they're not the same shape and size, it's like putting a puzzle together to try to get them to fit. I can't monopolize the entire vanity -- my poor husband needs space for his stuff, too. I keep some in the second bath, but I'm tired of cycling things in and out.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a Z Palette to keep just my most used favorite colors in. Once I destroyed my oldest palettes to get out the pans and put the magnets on & the work--I just never reach for that Z Palette. I'm using my newer palettes. Not sure why...Maybe I'm attracted to packaging, options or variety, even if I go ho-hum usual look.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the great replies and ideas!

I did end up ordering the byAlegory Acrylic Palette Organizer pictured in my OP. I need something with a small footprint to fit on my small makeup vanity (my bathroom has no counter space, much less any drawers to speak of!) and this fits perfectly. 

The organizer arrived today & I tried it both ways - standing and flat. There was no question which would be best for my needs; flat is best. I stand my palettes on end and they can be easily seen. All my palettes are different sizes - I have TEN in the organizer now and have THREE EMPTY ROWS! 

I've got a few SKINN palettes that have clear lids so you can see the shadow colors. I put those in front & the larger palettes, like Too Faced Sweet Peach, behind those. It is easy to see them all and to find the one I want. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@willdob3

Would never buy palettes for eyes, cheeks ...  whatever.   

I've found the 4 colors most flattering and that's all I use.   I've observed friends who buy them rarely end up using very much, and they are just more bathroom clutter.   Who needs that?   

Let's be honest .....   does any woman really need 85 different colors of eye shadow?    I doubt even Las Vegas show girls need that many shadows!    LOL             

4 colors only would bore me to tears.  To each their own. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 So glad this worked well for you! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I have more palettes than O/P does.  I store mine terribly--they are all piled up in my makeup vanity.  It's a MESS.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@willdob3

Would never buy palettes for eyes, cheeks ...  whatever.   

I've found the 4 colors most flattering and that's all I use.   I've observed friends who buy them rarely end up using very much, and they are just more bathroom clutter.   Who needs that?   

Let's be honest .....   does any woman really need 85 different colors of eye shadow?    I doubt even Las Vegas show girls need that many shadows!    LOL             

LOL

I certainly don't need 20 palettes.  It's about want and not need, LOL.  The color may be just a smidge different, LOL.  That's how they get me.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I love palettes even though I don't really need all of those colors.  But they just look so lovely when strolling through Ulta or Sephora I get drawn in!    I have 3 drawers down the center of my vanity between the 2 sinks.  In the top one I have a clear acryllic box and a small acryllic lipstick organizer.  In the box, I keep items I use everyday.  This drawer was getting too crowded with my palettes, so I rearranged and put all of the big palettes in the 2nd drawer, and extra hair stuff (like curling irons, etc.) in the bottom one.   Then on the counter in the space between the sink, I have an organizer I got at Michael's craft store that is really for crafting, but I keep all my hairspray, brushes, etc. in.  It has smaller pockets all around the outside so I keep all of my makeup brushes, eyeliners, and mascaras there along with some other products that I need handy.  This organizer is really good because it has handles and I could move it into the closet or somewhere if I ever wanted my bathroom to look really neat.  This  picture is similar to the organizer I have though mine seems wider.   Something like this would be good just to put makeup in.  You could put the big palettes in the center part.   9109042ALT1.jpg