Respected Contributor

Re: How do you store your Palettes?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@willdob3

Would never buy palettes for eyes, cheeks ...  whatever.   

I've found the 4 colors most flattering and that's all I use.   I've observed friends who buy them rarely end up using very much, and they are just more bathroom clutter.   Who needs that?   

Let's be honest .....   does any woman really need 85 different colors of eye shadow?    I doubt even Las Vegas show girls need that many shadows!    LOL             

Sometimes palettes help in figuring out what those best shades are. I bought the UD Vice lip palette (because I got a screamin' deal on it) and, in addition to figuring out that I love the formula of these lipsticks, there are shades I never would have tried that look fantastic on me. Similarly, there are colors/ combinations in eyeshadow that I never would have bought that I ended up loving after trying them from palettes. I have fair skin and dark brown/green eyes and I ended up loving a pink/mauve combo as well as orange shadow. NEVER would have bought those to try on their own!

Trusted Contributor

@WenGirl42 I totally agree with you. I have fair skin and blue eyes and have found so many combos that look great that I never would've thought of if I only bought a handful of standard colors.   YouTube helps a lot...there are so many good tutorials out there on the various palettes. 

I get it if people like to stick with basic colors, but for me the more colors the better! 

Esteemed Contributor

I keep the couple of Maybelline blush/bronzer palettes I own in drawers. The contour palette is in another drawer. I don't like that they are too big/long to fit very well in the drawers either. I have a 4 eyeshadow palette that I put away as it has matte neutral colors but I'm not using it currently.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3  Glad it's not just me with so many palettes. I'm overrun with makeup. Right now I'm using Joy Mangano roll up cosmetic bags and a few acrylic ones I leave out, some in drawers, But I lose track of what I have so I'm considering a huge thing my hairdresser actually was using, clear with drawers, on wheels.  Then roll it in and out of my closet???  It's a bit crazy actually. 

Respected Contributor

The Alex Drawers I bought from IKEA was one of the best choices I made for my makeup storage issues. I had a cheap plastic 3 drawer from Walmart  and it was just not good. 

The Alex series has many choices. I got the smaller one with 5 drawers. It's made very well. I got it on sale. 

I bought some of the Rubbermaid containers also for storage. I use the skinnier ones to store my blush compacts, individual eyeshadow, etc. I have a larger one that my eyeshadow palettes fit in. The Alex cabinet has 5 drawers, the top 2 are normal depth size and the bottom 3 are deeper. I love it and if I need to get another one they are sturdy enough to stack. 

Respected Contributor

What a timely thread.  I have been trying to find a good organizer for all of my makeup and just haven't found what I am looking for.  I found nice acrylic drawers at home goods one day but they were expensive. They were very big though, not the small organizers but still too much for what I am willing to pay for acrylic.  Just recently, someone at work put out an acrylic container and I grabbed it. Not even sure what it was used for.  It has slots and it turned out perfect for my palettes.  I love having them at my finger tips. Doesn't do anything for the rest of my makeup though and that still lives in my sterile 3 drawer container. So, work in progress. 

I like the first acrylic container shown.  Seems like it fits a lot of palettes and brushes. Hmmmm.  Brushes are another thing.  

I love the alex drawers. But don't have the room for them so I have held off. But, they would work for having all my stuff in one place. 

Esteemed Contributor

Fun topic!!

I saw a video on YouTube where someone was using a file folder organizer like this one to store their larger makeup palettes.

Image result for file folder organizer

I think it was on a video about repurposing items.

I haven't been buying makeup like I used to, so the amount I have doesn't require a lot of organization.  I use a cardboard desk organizer with drawers to store my palettes, lip color and random eyeshadows.  It's set up like the organizer below, except it has two large drawers on the bottom and no little drawers, and the organizer is probably smaller than this one.  I think I bought if from T.J. Maxx.

Related image

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I have a plastic fishing box for my not-very-much-makeup-anymore-since-retirement makeup.  Thinking about it, I might have to retire that box & just use a little Bare Minerals zippered bag.

The first side-opening tower looks perfect.   

Anything which is top-opening is a HUGE dust trap & counter space hog. 

Been there; done that.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I have a plastic fishing box for my not-very-much-makeup-anymore-since-retirement makeup.  Thinking about it, I might have to retire that box & just use a little Bare Minerals zippered bag.

The first side-opening tower looks perfect.   

Anything which is top-opening is a HUGE dust trap & counter space hog. 

Been there; done that.

Actually it looks like that Allegory palette holder can be used in either direction so I think that is why there are 2 photos. The sideways version would work better on a countertop, IMO.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 Yes thats it! It works well for me. I have 27 palettes of all sizes from very large to small in mine (three of which are large z palettes). I have a handful of eye brushes in it too. The brush compartment holds several Bobbi Brown skinny 6 pan palettes.    

The one that @momoftwo2007 pictured is like the ones I have seen at TJ MAXX, Homegoods and Marshalls. This looks like almost the same thing but not acyrlic.

I also would love Alex drawers one day soon! Good luck let us know what you ended up getting! 

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24