Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you fight the frizz

My hair is not naturally curly. I describe it as normal, but a lot, or "heavy." Carol's Daughter Sacred Tiara (S&C, sulfate free) works consistently beautifully for no frizz (or breakage).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Advice from someone with 72 years of curly hair:  

I fought frizz (and the curls and waves) until about 10 years ago and then started the Curly Girl Method. NOT JUST FOR CURLS. I've backed off a lot of the strickness of these routines, but kept the basic "rules" of healthy hair which works for straight or curly. ***When I went silver, the texture of my curls changed and I had to amp up the conditioning and make sure to use deep conditioner more often. Some have said it's a pain to wash hair first, put the conditioner on for 30 minutes and rinse it out again. I keep an extra jar of Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask in shower and use it as my regular conditioner for 5 minutes in the shower when my hair seems really dry. 

The bad news is that hair that's dry and/or damaged by washing too often, bleach, keratin treatments, dye, flat irons, etc. is going to be frizzy. Oils and other surface smoothing products with silicones make the problem worse by preventing moisture to get to the hair shaft. It's a temporary fix that adds to a long term issue of permanent dry hair....FRIZZ.

If you have curly/wavy/frizzy hair, it requires special care. Check out YouTube for great info and product lists without silicones or sulfates. My best advice, that I've mentioned here before, is to embrace your natural texture or you'll be fighting against it with more damaging results. 

I embraced my curls (to fight the frizz) many years ago, brought it back to "healthy" & only very rarely straighten my hair w/ a blow dryer and large round brush. I wrap my wet hair in a microfiber towel, do skincare, etc., then apply Biotera Leave In Conditioner and then Biotera Gel (both alcohol free, no silicones, not expensive...Sally's & Amazon). I use a wet brush or recommended Denman brush (also videos on YouTube) to brush products through hair to make sure every hair is coated with this gel. The "healthy" gel coats the hair and prevents frizz. I can't stress enough the best frizz fighter is deep conditioning. I let it either air dry at least 50% and then blow dry with a diffuser on low heat. 

Good luck to those who keep encountering this issue and posing this question. BTW, damaged hair will frizz in summer's humidity or winter's dry air. It's a battle, but you CAN be a winner with some effort.

***If you've read all this, God bless ya. Questions welcomed.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Keratin is not damaging it is the opposite it is really good for your hair it repairs what we have lost, keratin in naturally in you hair. Keratin is not the same as chemical straightening

@Shanus wrote:

Advice from someone with 72 years of curly hair:  

I fought frizz (and the curls and waves) until about 10 years ago and then started the Curly Girl Method. NOT JUST FOR CURLS. I've backed off a lot of the strickness of these routines, but kept the basic "rules" of healthy hair which works for straight or curly. ***When I went silver, the texture of my curls changed and I had to amp up the conditioning and make sure to use deep conditioner more often. Some have said it's a pain to wash hair first, put the conditioner on for 30 minutes and rinse it out again. I keep an extra jar of Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Mask in shower and use it as my regular conditioner for 5 minutes in the shower when my hair seems really dry. 

The bad news is that hair that's dry and/or damaged by washing too often, bleach, keratin treatments, dye, flat irons, etc. is going to be frizzy. Oils and other surface smoothing products with silicones make the problem worse by preventing moisture to get to the hair shaft. It's a temporary fix that adds to a long term issue of permanent dry hair....FRIZZ.

If you have curly/wavy/frizzy hair, it requires special care. Check out YouTube for great info and product lists without silicones or sulfates. My best advice, that I've mentioned here before, is to embrace your natural texture or you'll be fighting against it with more damaging results. 

I embraced my curls (to fight the frizz) many years ago, brought it back to "healthy" & only very rarely straighten my hair w/ a blow dryer and large round brush. I wrap my wet hair in a microfiber towel, do skincare, etc., then apply Biotera Leave In Conditioner and then Biotera Gel (both alcohol free, no silicones, not expensive...Sally's & Amazon). I use a wet brush or recommended Denman brush (also videos on YouTube) to brush products through hair to make sure every hair is coated with this gel. The "healthy" gel coats the hair and prevents frizz. I can't stress enough the best frizz fighter is deep conditioning. I let it either air dry at least 50% and then blow dry with a diffuser on low heat. 

Good luck to those who keep encountering this issue and posing this question. BTW, damaged hair will frizz in summer's humidity or winter's dry air. It's a battle, but you CAN be a winner with some effort.

***If you've read all this, God bless ya. Questions welcomed.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   You need to be sure your keratin treatment is formaldehyde free. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Formaldehyde is no longer used at the salon I go to

@Shanus wrote:

@I am still oxox   You need to be sure your keratin treatment is formaldehyde free. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   That's good to know. They won't use it where I go either. In fact, keratin treatments and Brazilian Blowouts (not sure what the difference is) were taken off the salon menu years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   It's me again.  Also take a look at Mario Badescu spray on conditioner.  It is also a detangler and fights frizz.  25% off and if you spend $35 you get free shipping.  You end up getting one product for free.  Check it out.  He has wonderful moisturizers and toners (alcohol free).

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

Thank you I used the smooth infusion yesterday and it worked well, we had limited power since Friday,  although we did have hot water.

I washed my hair, let it dry in a towel, I did not feel like standing in the heat of the kitchen(the only room with power)  to dry my hair so applied the serum and pulled it back into a pony tail, when it was dry I brushed it out and added a bit more and my hair looked really good. The test will be later this week when I wash it again and dry it 

@Katcat1 wrote:

@I am still oxox    Aveda has a product called Smooth Infusion.  Check it out on their website.  It gets 5 stars.