Honored Contributor

With all of the choices out there HOW do you even pick the right skin care products?!

I like using as close to free of harsh chemicals as possible.

But there are So many organic natural skincare lines of products available.

Seriously how do you even decide? Hate buying things and not liking and wasting money .

Is more expensive organic better? Does it matter the cost?

It is all too much lol.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I stay with the products that have worked for me. I do simple steps in my daily routine; therefore I don’t have hundreds of dollars tied up in products. My moms skin was beautiful but she took care of it and didn’t spend a fortune. She was raised with noxema and dove soap. 

I cleanse face face with purity and Clarisonic.

Use Clinique products for moisturizing and love Moisture Surge products.

i just want simple when I travel. Same with hair products.

i don’t get caught up in all the sale pitches and commercials.

Respected Contributor

I find this video of interviewing Paula Begoun very helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsrM7DTDB8M

There is one part of the interview that she busts the myth of that natural is better.

Respected Contributor

I try new things that are within my price range and focus on my skincare concerns. I have sensitive skin, struggle with non-Rosacea redness, occasional acne, more dryness in winter, and have dark spots.

I also don't worry about things being organic or "natural" or not. I know that zinc oxide, papaya enzymes, and pineapple enzymes all irritate my skin, so I avoid those. I can only use chemical sunscreen if I want broad spectrum protection. 

My whole life I've been allergic to organic things and it's been chemicals that I've used to keep breathing. I am all about better living through chemistry. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, it can be confusing. I belong to a few beauty Facebook groups which has helped me. You see women face to face and have come to know many of them. If you that is not an option for you, you may want to check out the favorites on Sephora's website. You can break down skincare, cosmetics, bath and body, etc.

Honored Contributor

If you go to a dermatoligist who is NOT one that sells products in her office to the gullible but is actually a person in the business of practicing medicine - they will tell you what products to use.You do have to be careful of derm. though because many are in it for how much they can make off you.My derm says Eucerine creme with sunscreen in the AM after washing with Dove soap. Being certain to get your upper chest and your ears and back of your neck. If your going to be out in the sun (pool, beach,park or yard etc) this is not enough and you have to use regular SPF 60 sunscreen in addition. All products she recomends are available at the drug store.

Honored Contributor

Expensive is not necessarily better, but neither is cheap. Organic won't make any difference. It certainly doesn't mean the product won't be harsh. And very few organic lines contain only organic ingredients. Using gentle products and ingredients that are beneficial to the skin will help, though.

A mild cleanser that doesn't strip the acid mantle, some sort of antioxidant treatment, followed by a nice emollient cream, topped with sunscreen during the day is all you need to be kind to your skin.

Mad Hippie, Drunk Elephant, and Mychelle have fans on this forum. They are known for having more natural ingredients in them. Prices are midrange. I'd say find a brand you can trust, and then find out more about their different types of products.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Check out Dr. Dray on YouTube. She's a dermatologist who advocates a simple, inexpensive, minimalist skin care routine and she lets you know what chemicals, additives, etc are safe and which ones should be avoided. She has saved me so much money and my skin has never looked better. 

Honored Contributor

I have tried many organic skin care products over the years and when I was in my 20's and 30's the products were ok. Once I reached middle age, I found they just did not work. I want products that will keep my skin looking good for my age and Isomers skin care seems to work the best for me at 67.

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

With all of the choices out there HOW do you even pick the right skin care products?!

I like using as close to free of harsh chemicals as possible.

But there are So many organic natural skincare lines of products available.

Seriously how do you even decide? Hate buying things and not liking and wasting money .

Is more expensive organic better? Does it matter the cost?

It is all too much lol.

First you identify what skin issues you want to address. Then spend a little time in researching what ingredients are most likely able to help with the issues.

If you don't do that, you'll be wandering from skincare line to skincare line, doing exactly as you wrote, "Hate buying things and not liking and wasting money."