Frequent Contributor

Re: How do you do a detox bath?

More detox bath info please Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

What is dry brushing?
Super Contributor

I generally do 2 cups of Epsom salts in a very warm to hot bath, I do not let the bath water go cold-I set a timer for 20 minutes- then shower off. sometimes I do 1 cup epsom salts , 1 cup bath salts. I generally put on my sweatshirt bathrobe and have a cup of tea, or lay down. I buy Dr. Teals scented epsom salts or plain made in USA salt at Target. I was buying some at the dollar store but it says made in China. i also purchase Epson flakes at Whole Foods which is the highest grade of Epson salts.

When I am really sick with a cold or sinus trouble I do a Dr. Singha's mustard bath. I order it on Amazon. Very pungent, but you do feel better =

these are the directions on the Dr. Teals bag of salts.

Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2015 all said: What is dry brushing?

This is a technique of stimulating the lymphatic system to drain and release toxins, exfoliate your skin, and release toxins from your body and pores. You take a natural bristle brush like a very large boar bristle, cushioned hair brush or a bath brush. YOu can find the bath brushes at WalMart, Target, TJ Maxx, etc.....You start at the ankle on one leg and brush up to your heart on all sides, then do the thigh, around your belly button, down the arm from the wrist, through the underarm and across the breast and then from the back on that side towards the heart. All the movements are towards the heart. Then you do the other side. Then you take a bath or shower. A detox bath afterwards is great. The brushing may seem rough to start with but you get used to it. You also don't have to go at it hard, so don't leave marks or raw skin. Some people use their Salux cloth. You can get those on Amazon, ebay or their site. It is a seemingly rough cloth used in Asia. The dry brushing is great in the winter to clear off the dead skin and open the pores for moisture. I use olive oil after I get out of the shower. It is natural, cheap, and works very well. It doesn't leave me oily either. I just lightly pat dry leaving damp skin and rub the oil in.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Love Kitten said: More detox bath info please Smiley Happy

Epsom salts are simple magnesium salts. Begin there and add 1 cup to very warm bath water. Personally, I like my soaking baths hot, hot to open pores. The salts work to draw out excess fluids from the body. Anyone with arthritis or fibro knows about swollen joints.

As the OP mentioned, you can add 1 cup baking soda to your bath. Soothes very dry/irritated skin and will help naturally soften skin. I found my body lotions work better.

Additives such as lavender and chamomile can intensify the calming effect. Best to plan this bath right before bedtime. You can add these yourself or buy an already blended epsom salts like Dr Teal's. Inexpensive and you can get them at WM.

If you have a problem with mobility and can't use the tub, a good hot foot soak is helpful, too. Adjust your salt amounts if using a pan or foot bath.

There are several types of detoxing agents you can use but epsom salts are by far the easiest and least expensive way to a healthful soak. Start slow and experiment with different therapies as you go. Give each one some time to evaluate before you move on to another.

Respected Contributor

Thank you Snowpuppy. I do know lavender is relaxing and I use the other one if my allergies are acting up. I do the lavender before bed. And I too am using Dr. Teals. I think I will try caninefitchi's idea of sipping water while soaking. I do it for sore muscles as well as getting magnesium since I take a PPI and that can deplete magnesium. I've also used plain Epsom salt. I do notice sometimes it makes me extremely tired and weak feeling but I suppose that could be caused by a number of things including medications. I will look up Herx reaction. Thank you for that information.
Respected Contributor

I will say that while I took my ginger bath on Friday evening and didn't sweat like the other detoxers say. I did take a big rounded tablespoonful in my bath with Epsom slats and baking soda. The others say to use a rounded teaspoon, so I'll cut back as not to be wasteful. I got them mixed up. I didn't sweat Friday but poured sweat like a racehorse yesterday shopping with my sister after dropping off the kids with the in laws for spring break. My clothes were all soaked in 40 degree weather! I was like a long hot flash/night sweat all day long! I feel great today despite being sore from walking all day with my fibro and 40 degree weather from 80 days before!

Contributor

On 3/28/2015 tigriss said:
On 3/28/2015 all said: What is dry brushing?

This is a technique of stimulating the lymphatic system to drain and release toxins, exfoliate your skin, and release toxins from your body and pores. You take a natural bristle brush like a very large boar bristle, cushioned hair brush or a bath brush. YOu can find the bath brushes at WalMart, Target, TJ Maxx, etc.....You start at the ankle on one leg and brush up to your heart on all sides, then do the thigh, around your belly button, down the arm from the wrist, through the underarm and across the breast and then from the back on that side towards the heart. All the movements are towards the heart. Then you do the other side. Then you take a bath or shower. A detox bath afterwards is great. The brushing may seem rough to start with but you get used to it. You also don't have to go at it hard, so don't leave marks or raw skin. Some people use their Salux cloth. You can get those on Amazon, ebay or their site. It is a seemingly rough cloth used in Asia. The dry brushing is great in the winter to clear off the dead skin and open the pores for moisture. I use olive oil after I get out of the shower. It is natural, cheap, and works very well. It doesn't leave me oily either. I just lightly pat dry leaving damp skin and rub the oil in.

This was very much appreciated as I too had a question as to what dry brushing was. In terms of oil - are you talking about regular olive oil or one specifically made for the skin (think many use regular) just to be clear?

Respected Contributor

I use regular olive oil that I use to cook with. It is great on my skin and for my eczema. I've tried lotions specifically for eczema, but find the olive oil works just as well as the lotions that have collided oatmeal in them. I do use those lotions at work and in the car since the olive oil doesn't travel well like that. After a bath and while you are still damp is the best time for moisturizers to really soak in. I get patches of eczema on my leg where my knee brace is and traps sweat there. The olive oil and band aids helps that greatly. I drop the oil on the little patch on the band aid and put that over it until healed. I forget the band aids and will end up with patches again. You get busy dressing at 530 in the morning!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for starting this thread tigriss! Now I feel like I want to try a detox bath as well.