Valued Contributor

Re: How do you Choose a Concealer Color?

I can always find nice foundations, but dealing with concealers has always eluded me. Then I found Neutrogena Hdro Boost. It's a tube concealer. Goes on smooth, cost me about $9 I love it! Compared to my Benefit $20 concealer, which is tacky and hard to apply, this tube is wonderful. High end cosmetics doesn't necessarily mean the best for you.

I, for one, like a shade that matches my foundation. I don't want raccoon eyes by going too light. Why does it have to feel like rocket science, just gettting good makeup.

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC  I second Hydro Boost.  I was using that before I did my excursion and although they don't have a color that really covers my particular circles, I loved the product itself.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have had good luck with the Tarte product.  I have dark circles under my eyes all the time, and I have many sinus/allergy issues that likely makes it worse.  I don’t have issues with dryness with this product.  I will add that part of my am routine is to apply eye cream and let it sink in for a while.  Has anyone found an under eye product that has helped with circles?  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT  I will say it is better when I do the spackle or other primer underneath but I still find it drying for me.  Today I actually used some FAB cream to see if that helps it out.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried the Maybelline product pictured here in the neutralizer color and I just don't like it at all.  I don't find it works for my dark circles and it seems drying to my eye area.  And I do use good eye creams.

I don't dislike the Shape Tape itself really, it's just not working for my circles.  I think I have the wrong shade. Maybe I will contact them and see if they can help me.  I use their BB Primer as my foundation and love it.   

@PamfromCT, I have the same sinus issues which I think make my circles worse.  It's frustrating. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always thought you were suppose to use one shade lighter than your foundation?

I don't use concealer since I don't have any darkness under my eyes. It's the same color as the rest of my face.

I have allergies & dry eyes so my eyes are always red & running so I don't put anything under my eyes. After I apply what little makeup I wear I use a wet washcloth to wash around my eyes to keep them from itching, burning & running. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a huge fan of Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer as well, and Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer. I get the shades closest to my skin tone. I find the advice of one shade lighter seems to accentuate dark circles. 

Tarte Shape Tape didn't work for me because it was too drying for under the eye area. These two I mentioned work really well and give good coverage. 

With the Maybelline, I hate the sponge so I pull it off, then I use the amount I want from the click pump, and I don't feel like I need to clean that sponge. 

Oh, and no powder under the eye if you have lines or baking. It just makes them look worse. The only baking I do is in the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz

@Nightowlz wrote:

I always thought you were suppose to use one shade lighter than your foundation?

I don't use concealer since I don't have any darkness under my eyes. It's the same color as the rest of my face.

I have allergies & dry eyes so my eyes are always red & running so I don't put anything under my eyes. After I apply what little makeup I wear I use a wet washcloth to wash around my eyes to keep them from itching, burning & running. 

That's pretty remarkable that you don't have any darkness under your eyes........being such a "night owl!"   Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Nightowlz

@Nightowlz wrote:

That's pretty remarkable that you don't have any darkness under your eyes........being such a "night owl!"   Cat LOL

@2blonde

Used to be a niteowl but still kinda am since I don't go to bed til midnight. I do get my 8 hrs unless I just cannot sleep.

I don't even know what causes the darkness some women have under their eyes.

When I was kid I thought it was embedded mascara causing the problem.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  That's pretty funny (the mascara).  My problem is I'm very thin skinned.....you've always been able to see all my veins all over me.  As I've gotten older, my skin has thinned even more.  On the face, that means you can see the blood vessels around my eyes, which is what makes them appear red/purple without makeup.  I'm pretty scary in the morning!

Laura loves cats!