Honored Contributor

Re: How can you tell what color blush/eyeshadow you'll get?

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus,   I was just thinking about Bobbi Brown when I first read this thread.  Her highlighters are in vertical order so you just sweep the brush over all colors like you said.  Which really makes more sense then having the colors in a mosiac.  The products the cosmetic companies come up with to introduce new products.  I bought one of BB's highlighters and returned it.  I am waiting to receive a luminous blush from BECCA which I tested out at ULTA before purchasing from BECCA online.  You only need a tiny amount.  When I think of the money I have spent on beauty products I no longer use!   OMG!

They make it look like "eye candy". Packaging is everything in marketing, right?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've only bought a few of those mosaic type products and I ended up just picking out a certain few of the colors in the pan. When they ran out, I tossed the compact out. Waste of money, imo.

With the Laura Geller blush product, there's no way to pick out one particular color unless you're using a teeny brush, because it's a mosaic of different colors. This makes no sense to me, and I'm thinking it's a waste of money, too. I don't understand why they don't swatch the products themselves. 

@noodleann  I purchase most of my makeup in dept. stores where there are testers. Yes, it's more expensive initially, but really not if you purchase it online or at a drugstore & don't like the color. Then the product is rarely used or tossed out. 

I haven't been in a department store in ages, and it's probably been 30 years since I went to a makeup counter in one. I'm leery of getting oversold.

I was trying to find out whether there was some secret everyone had to buying these products. Apparently there isn't. I'll just steer clear of them. One less temptation. Cat Wink

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've only bought a few of those mosaic type products and I ended up just picking out a certain few of the colors in the pan. When they ran out, I tossed the compact out. Waste of money, imo.

With the Laura Geller blush product, there's no way to pick out one particular color unless you're using a teeny brush, because it's a mosaic of different colors. This makes no sense to me, and I'm thinking it's a waste of money, too. I don't understand why they don't swatch the products themselves. 

@noodleann  I purchase most of my makeup in dept. stores where there are testers. Yes, it's more expensive initially, but really not if you purchase it online or at a drugstore & don't like the color. Then the product is rarely used or tossed out. 

I haven't been in a department store in ages, and it's probably been 30 years since I went to a makeup counter in one. I'm leery of getting oversold.

I was trying to find out whether there was some secret everyone had to buying these products. Apparently there isn't. I'll just steer clear of them. One less temptation. Cat Wink

...the "secret" is looking online to see the product swatches, lol. Then you'll know what color the combination of shades creates.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

There's really no secret.  You go in store to swatch things or watch people on Youtube swatching them or find a video/picture of swatches on instagram.  The internet has everything you need if you don't like going into stores.