Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I stop hiding behind this mask?

I'm ok with wearing a face mask and mostly wear fabric ones of various styles as I like to try out different styles of masks. Sometimes I don't bother with makeup, just sunscreen since I am wearing a mask, but most of the time I like to apply a BB cream and undereye concealer as well as mascara. 

Masks aren't mandated in the province of British Columbia, Canada but a lot of stores require a face mask like Walmart Canada, Starbucks, and a lot of other retailers so I do see that more people are wearing a face mask in the malls now.

One thing I've noticed wearing a mask is that some fabric face masks make me itch. I think it's the inner fabric when it's a scratchy feeling cotton muslin or when there's a pokey seam down the middle of the face mask that really bugs me.

I do notice some beauty youtubers have makeup tutorials to deal with face mask wearing and those I do find helpful as I need to emphasize my eyes more so I don't look washed out with a mask on.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, wearing a mask has made me lazy.  I haven't worn any makeup, not even mascara, since late February.  It's so freeeing!  It sure takes me a much shorter time to get ready to go out - just finger-fluff my hair, put on my mask, and go.   I wonder if I even remember how to apply makeup???

(btw, I've never felt that I'm hiding behind a mask)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I wasn't all that good at doing makeup before all this, so I shudder to think what I will be like after we stop wearing masks!  I will be starting at the beginning --- Makeup 101!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I am loving not wearing makeup. The only makeup I wear is lipstick, obviously not when wearing a mask.

Before all this, I didn't like looking in the mirror at a makeup-less face; now I don't mind it at all.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

The only time I've worn any makeup is when I'm on a zoom call - when I'm wearing masks, there's no reason since most of the makeup would be covered.  I'm using lip balms regularly though- mask or no mask. Lipstick to me was always a lip treatment too.  So lip balms are part of  my skincare regimen.

Honored Contributor

I had to see my retinologist today and forgot just how annoying those masks can be. I cannot wait to be rid of it. 

I actually never realized how I tend to smile at people and miss the interaction. As far as makeup, I never wore very much of it and the older I get, the less is more approach seems to work best....

Honored Contributor

We havent had a cold in this house in six months

Six months?  I haven't had a cold in over 6 YEARS  I did get the flu in 1991 and that nearly killed me!  Not sure I could survive it at 61.  I can't imagine having to wear masks for the rest of our lives Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Why do you feel comfortable "hiding" behind your mask?  I'm someone that likes to have a smile on my face whenever I'm out and about.  It saddens me that no one can see MY smile and that I can't see other people's smiles...course I can't see other peoples frowns either Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@TY 

We wear Hanes Face Masks "wicking cotton masks".  No seam down the middle.  Washable. 

Honored Contributor

Honestly I only wear a mask when near someone in public or when I go into a store because I'm told that I must do so. 

I think they help a little but not as much as some think they do with helping control the spread of viruses.  Yes I know all about "the science" but the science can be spinned to make it what those in charge want it to be.  I've also read experts (from OSHA) who claim that the science says they aren't as effective as we are being told.

Anyway I don't wear a mask while in the car (including the drive in) nor when I'm out eating at an outdoor restaurant.  I've been out to eat all summer (trying to take advantage of the nice weather in the northeast) before it gets too cold out.

I also don't wear one in my neighborhood when out walking, or when I leave a store going back to my car I'll pull it down to breathe...my area is not as dense as some areas and I can keep my distance. I really don't like masks at all...I don't plan on ever continuing to wear them when we no longer must do so. 

Instead I plan on building and maintaining my immune system the best that I can make it.  It's too bad that we don't hear more about that as another tool to fight viruses and disease.  We only hear about social distancing, mask wearing & hand washing.

Anyway I continue to wear makeup like I did before....instead of a creamy lipstick I wear a lip stain so it doesn't smear on the inside of the mask and a light foundation.