Honored Contributor

Re: How can I salvage my new Superhero mascara?

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SilleeMee  Interesting information re the mascara.  Since you are a chemist and know a lot about product.....what do you think of adding Copper to a facial moisturizing deck? 

Yes, of course. Copper peptides in a pH environment between 5 and 7 is best.  In other words don't add or use them with acids like Vit C or AHAs. Get a roll of pH test strip  (range 0.0-6.0) from amazon item number  B005OD7AEM . This you can also use to check other stuff like your vit C serum for quality. An effective (ready-to-apply) copper peptide product usually contains about .5 to 2% concentration. Higher amounts are not recommended because that has negative effects on the skin. @phoenixbrd

Honored Contributor

Thank youWoman Happy @glam_girl

Trusted Contributor

Look up the Wayne Goss Video, THE NEW WAY TO APPLY MASCARA!!!, on YouTube. It involves brushing the mascara onto a metal eyelash comb and then applying to your lashes. I think someone posted here in the Q forums some years ago. At the time I had a clumpy Rimmel mascara, and I was able to use it up with his method.

I tried the Superhero mascara from a TSV kit, and found it to be clumpy and far from super.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeeThanks...great information! 

@SilleeMee wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SilleeMee  Interesting information re the mascara.  Since you are a chemist and know a lot about product.....what do you think of adding Copper to a facial moisturizing deck? 

Yes, of course. Copper peptides in a pH environment between 5 and 7 is best.  In other words don't add or use them with acids like Vit C or AHAs. Get a roll of pH test strip  (range 0.0-6.0) from amazon item number  B005OD7AEM . This you can also use to check other stuff like your vit C serum for quality. An effective (ready-to-apply) copper peptide product usually contains about .5 to 2% concentration. Higher amounts are not recommended because that has negative effects on the skin. @phoenixbrd

Esteemed Contributor

Mascara is not supposed to last more than 3 months.  If goes bad after a while even if unopened.  I found this out the hard way a few years ago, when i hoarded several tubes on AD.  I now only buy what I will use.  If it's bad, I would trash it.  Why bother with mascara if it looks bad?  Wear nothing, and it's no trouble!

PS, I love the superhero.  It does curl a little without the curler.  I am going to try the Doll Illegal, it has really good reviews!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ this didn't work for me. It turned my superhero into a hot mess (literally). Didn't do a thing to make it less gloppy. I threw mine out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse  Sorry to hear it didn’t work for you.It does work for me. I’ve never tried it with Super Hero mascara. I do it all the time. I also swipe the wand through a tissue each time I remove it from the tube.I do this even on new tubes.This helps me control the flow.

Honored Contributor

i like their original mascara better than the superhero. superhero to me is very "gloppy" and too wet and too much product comes out on the brush when you want to apply it.

lancome makes the best mascaras, hands down.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee---what skin care do you make? 

Honored Contributor

I make my own BHA and AHA treatment solutions that I pour inside jars with ultra-thin cosmetic rounds. I also make my own vit C serum and a AHA cream. It's all sort of a mixture of stuff I buy from specialty stores, Walmart and the liquor store for the 90-proof Everclear...yes that is what I use (in tiny amounts). I can't seem to find a good commercial grade of organic ethanol around my neck of the woods and if I did it would cost too much.  All of the active ingredients I use are precisely measured using my digital scale. I also own a pH meter and several other pieces of labware...like the 'forks 'n knives' of a typical lab.Woman Very Happy @wagirl