Honored Contributor

How can I salvage my new Superhero mascara?

Yes, I had read a major discussion on the gloppiness of Superhero.  How bad can it be, I thought.  They've won three major QVC beauty awards.  I've used the sample sizes for a couple years and I thought I'll just switch one of those applicators into the new full-size tube.  Of course it doesn't work.  Now I'm stuck with two tubes of mascara that deposit large blobs onto my eyelashes.

Honored Contributor

Re: How can I salvage my new Superhero mascara?

Can you just send them back?

Honored Contributor

I think it is too old.

Won QVC Awards-give me a break?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

I tried it when it was launched and thought it was one of the worst macaras ever, returned it the next day.  So gloppy, impossible.

If you can't return it, try using a different brush, either one you purchase (they tend to be inexpensive and come in sets at Ulta, Marshall's, etc.) or one from an old tube of a brand you like.  That has helped me on more than one occasion when the brush was too huge to work on my hooded eyes, but I really liked the mascara.

You may be able to salvage it!

Esteemed Contributor

I have two methods that have worked for me. First: an eyelash brush. Once you get the mascara on you lashes give it a minute or two to dry somewhat and then brush through your lashes. It should pull the glops out. Second: if you can't find an eyelash brush then I'e used the stick part of a q-tip swab to remove glops Just run it under your lash line and it should pick up the esxcess. Tip: use a clean q tip for every swipe.  

Honored Contributor

In addition to trying a different wand as @author suggested, you could try adding a couple of drops of Visine or similar product. I read somewhere that this can extend the life of a mascara that is old. Maybe it will thin it out and reduce the gloppiness? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a chemist and I know what I would do with it. Since I make some of my own skin care products, I have on hand a few cosmetic solvents...one is called butylene glycol. I know, sounds scary but it's found in many cosmetic products including many mascaras. The solvent used in the Superhero is propylene glycol, a cousin to butylene glycol and has the same effect...it thins it out.

Esteemed Contributor

A long time ago a makeup artist told me to put the tube of mascara in a cup of hot water for about 10 minutes.That softens it up & thins it out.It works for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  Interesting information re the mascara.  Since you are a chemist and know a lot about product.....what do you think of adding Copper to a facial moisturizing deck? 

Regular Contributor

Superhero from IT Cosmetics is in my top five favorite mascaras (the other four are: Better Than S*x from Too Faced, Josie Maran's Argan Oil Mascara, Buxom Lash Volumizing Mascara and Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes), the only bad thing about Superhero is the brush.  I think they should improve either the brush or the tube (maybe adding something that cleans excess goop).  What I do in the meantime is wipe the wand of the mascara with a paper towel, which might become messy when the mascara is new because the brush comes out with tons of product, but when I've been using it for a couple of weeks I don't have that much mascara left anyway and is not that bothersome.

@SilleeMeeIn case I forget you are such an amazing contributor.  I am in awe by your knowledge and how eager you are to help others in these forums.  Thank you.