Honored Contributor

Re: How can I organize my makeup!

@mistriTsquirrel

All of the larger draws are divided in half, the smallest one at the top is not divided

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@I am still oxox  Are all of the drawers divided?  It looks like all of them are except for the top one.

And each drawer is just divided in half, right?  Not fourths?

I'm trying to figure out if this is something that could work for me.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Living in Hollywood CA had to have large amounts of makeup. Since retiring no longer have nor could imagine having. Less is more than enough for my needs. Found multiple uses for my makeup. Actually! Cindy Joseph's "Boom" products three simple steps. For more information YouTube or Amazon. Cindy also has her own website. Love her line! Good ingredients right amount of makeup for my 58 yr old face. You might enjoy her story.💁

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I'll tell you what I did. About eight years ago I bought lots and lots of china place settings on sale. They each came in their own box with a handle. I had nine of them, and I filled each one with cosmetics and toiletries, numbered them, inventoried the contents, and put them in a shelving unit in a closet off the bedroom. Then I lost the inventory sheet, put so much stuff in front of the boxes I couldn't get to them, and forgot they were there.

Recently I dug them out and rediscovered my mega stash. The toiletries, which I never opened, appear to be good, and I've started using them. Most of the makeup was fine. I pitched the mascaras because they were dried out, but everything else was usable. I rediscovered one I loved, Dr. Denese's Brown Sugar lip gloss. I have 40-year-old Yardley lip gloss that's still good, so 8 years doesn't faze me.

My advice, especially on GWP, is archive everything, forget you have it, and one day when you're feeling like breaking the budget with a beauty splurge, you can dig the stuff out of storage and enjoy.

P.S. I do have a nice Lori Grenier toile unit I keep on the vanity in the bathroom that keeps more current products to hand. You might look at her line, although I think the toile is no longer available.

IMHO, a 40 year old lip gloss, Yardley or whoever, is never ever good.

Yeah, but Shanus, every time I open that little Pot 'o Gloss, I smell my misspent youth and glory in it all over again. Surely you won't begrudge me this little indulgence. Woman Wink

I've only applied the gloss once, to make sure it hadn't hardened up, and apparently lived to tell. But don't get me started on five-day-old chicken breasts.

Sorry. A 40 yr. year old gloss (or any item of makeup) is just as bad as 5 day old chicken. 🙃

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I know that we should purge, for our mental or spiritual health or somesuch, but sometimes our things give us enough pleasure to justify the drawer or shelf space.

When I look at my eye shadow collection, for example, I'm just mesmerized by the colors. I actually bought one of every colorway in Milani's Runway Eyes collection with the little bars of shadow because I loved the colors so much. Never used them, and thought I'd someday put them all in a shadowbox and hang it in the bathroom just so I could see them.

I know that someday all this stuff will go south, to a person or a group or the trash. But for the time being, I enjoy coming across these little treasures. I should, I sure spent enough amassing them.

Have you ever tried the adult coloring books w/ colored pencils or markers? Sounds like you really enjoy color and you may enjoy them. I find it quite relaxing. 

Valued Contributor

I use the lock n lock appetizer tray with the 4 compartments for makeup . It has a lid and can be carried and stored , If you need more just get another one  ,It can be washed and kept wherever you want , Quite handy ,

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I know that we should purge, for our mental or spiritual health or somesuch, but sometimes our things give us enough pleasure to justify the drawer or shelf space.

When I look at my eye shadow collection, for example, I'm just mesmerized by the colors. I actually bought one of every colorway in Milani's Runway Eyes collection with the little bars of shadow because I loved the colors so much. Never used them, and thought I'd someday put them all in a shadowbox and hang it in the bathroom just so I could see them.

I know that someday all this stuff will go south, to a person or a group or the trash. But for the time being, I enjoy coming across these little treasures. I should, I sure spent enough amassing them.

Have you ever tried the adult coloring books w/ colored pencils or markers? Sounds like you really enjoy color and you may enjoy them. I find it quite relaxing. 

Neat idea, but I wasn't into coloring books even when I was in single digits. I just like looking at colors, juxtaposing them, playing with swatches. I have several paint decks that I've spent hours poring over, as well as an old Pantone book. I love to study patterned fabrics and work out the colorways and harmonies the designer used. So it's all passive. I marvel at people who have what amounts to perfect pitch with color.

And BTW, I'm not recommending anyone use 40-Y-O makeup products. I have tried that gloss myself, but just once. I also have an ancient eyeshadow compact and nifty silver brush from Zsa Zsa Gabor's long-defunct makeup line that goes back decades, but I'd never put that on my eyes. I have Charles of the Ritz face powder (unused, sealed) that goes back to the 50s, which I also bought because the scent of the powder brought up some positive childhood memories.

I have a hard time parting with certain things that have strong nostalgic connections. There are lots of things you can document and give away, but you can't photograph a smell.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

All of the larger draws are divided in half, the smallest one at the top is not divided

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@I am still oxox  Are all of the drawers divided?  It looks like all of them are except for the top one.

And each drawer is just divided in half, right?  Not fourths?

I'm trying to figure out if this is something that could work for me.

Thanks, @I am still oxox!!!

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I agree to start by purging some. Throw out the old stuff and give other stuff you don't want to friends or family.

I love lucite makeup organizers from the Container Store or Amazon. It is organized and put away but you can see what you have so you aren't as likely to forget about it and not use it. 

I think using a 40 yr old lipgloss no matter the brand is a terrible idea. I am not even the type of person to throw stuff out at exactly the date it probably should be but 40 yrs is way too old and could even have ingredients that were thought of as safe 40 yrs ago but not today.  Who knows what type of  preservatives they were using back then either. Throw that out!

You might want to check eBay to see what that particular 40-year-old lip gloss goes for. Unused pots have been sold for over $120, and even used can bring $50+. People want it for the same reason I do: They use it when they were young, and the distinctive scent of that gloss gives you a great heady rush that takes you back, without all the anxiety you actually had at the time. So no, I won't be tossing my Yardley Pot 'o Gloss!

I don't doubt you for a minute @noodleann. I get what you mean about the nostalgia about the smell and bringing back memories. Of course you are free to do whatever you like. My concern is that I see the problems daily people have from using old makeup that is a breeding ground for bacteria and many times it is a very expensive process and even painful to clear up some of the stuff we see at the dermatology practice I work for. That is all I was trying to say. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Neat idea, but I wasn't into coloring books even when I was in single digits. I just like looking at colors, juxtaposing them, playing with swatches. I have several paint decks that I've spent hours poring over, as well as an old Pantone book. I love to study patterned fabrics and work out the colorways and harmonies the designer used. So it's all passive. I marvel at people who have what amounts to perfect pitch with color.

And BTW, I'm not recommending anyone use 40-Y-O makeup products. I have tried that gloss myself, but just once. I also have an ancient eyeshadow compact and nifty silver brush from Zsa Zsa Gabor's long-defunct makeup line that goes back decades, but I'd never put that on my eyes. I have Charles of the Ritz face powder (unused, sealed) that goes back to the 50s, which I also bought because the scent of the powder brought up some positive childhood memories.

I have a hard time parting with certain things that have strong nostalgic connections. There are lots of things you can document and give away, but you can't photograph a smell.

I feel the same way about colors and get that feeling of excitement when I walk into Ulta or Sephora and see rows of colored makeup products.

I collect vintage makeup and containers. I have several from Charles of the Ritz and some really beauty compacts from the 1920's and 30s. I love that type of stuff @noodleann

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Living in Hollywood CA had to have large amounts of makeup. Since retiring no longer have nor could imagine having. Less is more than enough for my needs. Found multiple uses for my makeup. Actually! Cindy Joseph's "Boom" products three simple steps. For more information YouTube or Amazon. Cindy also has her own website. Love her line! Good ingredients right amount of makeup for my 58 yr old face. You might enjoy her story.💁

@Sweet_Serenity, why?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland