Respected Contributor

Re: How can I organize my makeup!

@SilleeMee wrote:

IKEA Alex drawers with optional in-drawer dividers:

108983b93b3474e8234039f7ddcbb3d8.jpg

@Allthingsgirly67

That's simply beautiful. I love organization, and that's so clean. Very nice.

Respected Contributor

I know that we should purge, for our mental or spiritual health or somesuch, but sometimes our things give us enough pleasure to justify the drawer or shelf space.

When I look at my eye shadow collection, for example, I'm just mesmerized by the colors. I actually bought one of every colorway in Milani's Runway Eyes collection with the little bars of shadow because I loved the colors so much. Never used them, and thought I'd someday put them all in a shadowbox and hang it in the bathroom just so I could see them.

I know that someday all this stuff will go south, to a person or a group or the trash. But for the time being, I enjoy coming across these little treasures. I should, I sure spent enough amassing them.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    What a great system you have!  I'll be keeping that in mind.  I also use Jo Malone fragrances, that I see on top of the unit. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@SilleeMee    What a great system you have!  I'll be keeping that in mind.  I also use Jo Malone fragrances, that I see on top of the unit. 

Thank you for your compliment @septemberWoman Happy That picture I posted isn't exactly what I have. My drawers are are only 5-high, wider and on wheels. I do have the dividers in them and they make all the difference.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   5 drawers would work for me.  I try to weed out my stash on a regular schedule!  

I like that that it's all in one place.  In my current home, I have some of my makeup in one place, some in another, and some...in another place.  I think I know where it all is, but routinely find unopened products  (they've been forgotten, as well)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee Beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

I recently threw a bunch of stuff out and donated some. If you have to store stuff in boxes in a closet where you aren't using it and forgetting about it, it's time to get rid of stuff. You can really only use so much. Have a big heartfelt convo with yourself and you will feel so good about getting rid of stuff. I promise. I told myself if it doesn't fit in the long vanity drawer in my bathroom at the new house I have to much. I think I am down to what I can actually use now.

Esteemed Contributor

Take photos of what you have and put them in a digital library but first do a purge of stuff that is old or that you don't want to use. Old or worn out makeup and makeup brushes, old skin care or anything that has gone rancid is tossed out.

I have Sterlite plastic drawers and I put 2 of them together so that I have a 10 drawer unit similar to the Ikea Alex drawers. I don't use dividers but I do keep that unit in the bedroom where I keep my hairdryer and smoothing comb. I keep makeup tools that aren't used much in there too. In the bathroom is a wooden stationary organizer that holds the makeup that I use nearly every day. Now that it's summer though I put serums, facial oils, and skin care items that would spoil in the heat downstairs and out of the upstairs bathroom.

I have decided that shimmery lipsticks don't work for me. They tend to emphasize lip lines and upper lip melasma so I tossed those out.

Downstairs I have another Sterlite drawer container that I keep extra beauty items like shampoos and makeup I'm not using. I frequently go through it and purge it though.

Trusted Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I recently threw a bunch of stuff out and donated some. If you have to store stuff in boxes in a closet where you aren't using it and forgetting about it, it's time to get rid of stuff. You can really only use so much. Have a big heartfelt convo with yourself and you will feel so good about getting rid of stuff. I promise. I told myself if it doesn't fit in the long vanity drawer in my bathroom at the new house I have to much. I think I am down to what I can actually use now.

@ccassaday..being a hoarder Smiley Sad with the thought "maybe one day I can use it" mentality (my sister and many makeup and hoarders think like that).

We need you as a COACH!

But honestly that was very helpful what you said it truly is the truth..for me and others it takes a complete overhaul...I do this in baby steps so it doesnt hurt as much with amny things I have kept ($$and nice) but do not use anymore.

Ive been donating so much it really is such a wonderful feeling esp. to help others like women in crisis.

Makeup is on teh bakburner for now.

Other stuff is moving out..it's hard but I'm doing it Smiley Happy

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Esteemed Contributor

Yowza!!!!!!  

All my makeup fits into one of those drawer-sized Rubbermaid silverware dividers you normally buy to divide kitchen utensils.  One section for lipstick, one section for mascara and eyeliner, one section for foundation and primer, one section for tweezers and tools..... etc.   Obviously, I don't own (or want!) that much makeup.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt