Honored Contributor

Re: How can I organize my makeup!

@Allthingsgirly67  I'm not sure how old you are, but another step that helped me was to establish a makeup "look".

By 68, I know fairly well which colors work and those that don't. I also don't buy large shadow palettes...never use all the colors and take up space. When I realized I'm always reaching for taupe/beige/grey/off-white, I purchased a few quads with those shades. Lipcolors and liners? I always reach for same colors there, too. Boring, but true. 

The 4 mugs on my vanity filled w/ makeup brushes & eye/lip pencils are now reduced to 2. Hardly used brushes cleaned and tucked away in a ziplock. Odd green, brown but not dark enough brown pencils...trashed. 

Having a a sense of what your makeup style is can save  you a ton of money and space.

Respected Contributor

Here is the Wen/Philosophy storage tote: (from Michael's)

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Those are 32 oz. sizes of Purity and Wen!  

Respected Contributor

I also would recommend a purge.  I try to only have what i am using.  I have no problem trashing anything.  I just realized i had a ton of brushes.  I organixed them and got rid of the duplicates and things i do not use.  So in answer to your question i would first go thru and organize in piles by category, then by frequency of use---daily, monthly, rarely.  See if you can get rid of anything that you rarely use and anything old.  Once you have done that think about what you want/need to have handy, probably just the daily use items.  It seems to me that is what you want in some kind of organizer.  The rest can stay in your plastic bins in plastic bags.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I also would recommend a purge.  I try to only have what i am using.  I have no problem trashing anything.  I just realized i had a ton of brushes.  I organixed them and got rid of the duplicates and things i do not use.  So in answer to your question i would first go thru and organize in piles by category, then by frequency of use---daily, monthly, rarely.  See if you can get rid of anything that you rarely use and anything old.  Once you have done that think about what you want/need to have handy, probably just the daily use items.  It seems to me that is what you want in some kind of organizer.  The rest can stay in your plastic bins in plastic bags.

Sounds like a great suggestion!! I faced the fact several years ago, there's no need to stockpile makeup & skincare unless you live in an area prone to flooding or severe snow storms. You can always get out for another jar of eye cream. The worst thing is not having it for a day or two...not earth shaking. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IKEA Alex drawers with optional in-drawer dividers:

108983b93b3474e8234039f7ddcbb3d8.jpg

@Allthingsgirly67

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I take all those GWPs and group them together by skin care jars, mascaras, cleansers and makeup removers. Then I go to this site http://checkcosmetic.net/. and see which is the oldest product and put that first in the rotation to use.

All my eyeshadow palettes from Lancôme are grouped together and all my UD singles are grouped together. My eyepencils are in one holder and are alphabetized -- using an acrylic lipstick holder which holds 48 pencils plus has 4 drilled hole for 4 more pencils. 

The Gift w/ Purchase is not really a "gift" unless you needed what you had to buy for enough money to be eligible for it. I also see if I'd use most of what's in the "gift" or will I just have another stack of Lancôme tote bags/makeup bags and could have waited 3-6 months before needing what I purchased. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  Now that's impressive!!!

Trusted Contributor

I think Sillimee is on to something! I enjoy playing with all my makeup- none that old.

Regular Contributor

Like jpie, I too use a combination of ziploc bags and scrapbook totes.  The key for me is that is MUST be see through.  Each ziploc contains a GWP/sample category - hair, peels, moisturizer, makeup, etc.  Every week or two, I pull out a few things to use - an item is discarded immediately if I don't like how it works.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I'll tell you what I did. About eight years ago I bought lots and lots of china place settings on sale. They each came in their own box with a handle. I had nine of them, and I filled each one with cosmetics and toiletries, numbered them, inventoried the contents, and put them in a shelving unit in a closet off the bedroom. Then I lost the inventory sheet, put so much stuff in front of the boxes I couldn't get to them, and forgot they were there.

Recently I dug them out and rediscovered my mega stash. The toiletries, which I never opened, appear to be good, and I've started using them. Most of the makeup was fine. I pitched the mascaras because they were dried out, but everything else was usable. I rediscovered one I loved, Dr. Denese's Brown Sugar lip gloss. I have 40-year-old Yardley lip gloss that's still good, so 8 years doesn't faze me.

My advice, especially on GWP, is archive everything, forget you have it, and one day when you're feeling like breaking the budget with a beauty splurge, you can dig the stuff out of storage and enjoy.

P.S. I do have a nice Lori Grenier toile unit I keep on the vanity in the bathroom that keeps more current products to hand. You might look at her line, although I think the toile is no longer available.

IMHO, a 40 year old lip gloss, Yardley or whoever, is never ever good.

Yeah, but Shanus, every time I open that little Pot 'o Gloss, I smell my misspent youth and glory in it all over again. Surely you won't begrudge me this little indulgence. Woman Wink

I've only applied the gloss once, to make sure it hadn't hardened up, and apparently lived to tell. But don't get me started on five-day-old chicken breasts.