Valued Contributor

How can I organize my makeup!

I am a makeup junkie and currently have bags from GWP filled in a large tote. I really need a way to organize so when I want something I can find it..

p.s. Not all my bags fillthe large tote there is fall out. Tx Magpie

Spoiler

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I organize my makeup!

If you have a large tote filled with makeup, my suggestion is that you start with a purge...then organizing what you actually use will be much easier...jmo

Valued Contributor

noooo! but thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 I have rectangular plastic baskets that I have in deep drawers and underneath my bathroom sink for tall and big items.  Then I bought really cute clear plastic trays (BB &B) for lipsticks, foundation, brushes etc. And put in shallower drawers.  Nice, neat and organized and I can see everything.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:

I am a makeup junkie and currently have bags from GWP filled in a large tote. I really need a way to organize so when I want something I can find it..

p.s. Not all my bags fillthe large tote there is fall out. Tx Magpie

Spoiler

I had drawers of makeup, cabinets full of backups...some nearing the "use by" dates because I had so much I couldn't see the rows behind or piles underneath. 

You really need to take a deep breath & go through everything! What you never used...definitely if still OK, you can donate. Check for products out of date...mascara once opened should be tossed after 3 mos. & lipstick only a yr. 

I go through all my makeup & skincare maybe twice a yr. if possible. These products are quite costly to waste because you didn't know you already had 3 when you purchased #4.

Respected Contributor

I'll tell you what I did. About eight years ago I bought lots and lots of china place settings on sale. They each came in their own box with a handle. I had nine of them, and I filled each one with cosmetics and toiletries, numbered them, inventoried the contents, and put them in a shelving unit in a closet off the bedroom. Then I lost the inventory sheet, put so much stuff in front of the boxes I couldn't get to them, and forgot they were there.

Recently I dug them out and rediscovered my mega stash. The toiletries, which I never opened, appear to be good, and I've started using them. Most of the makeup was fine. I pitched the mascaras because they were dried out, but everything else was usable. I rediscovered one I loved, Dr. Denese's Brown Sugar lip gloss. I have 40-year-old Yardley lip gloss that's still good, so 8 years doesn't faze me.

My advice, especially on GWP, is archive everything, forget you have it, and one day when you're feeling like breaking the budget with a beauty splurge, you can dig the stuff out of storage and enjoy.

P.S. I do have a nice Lori Grenier toile unit I keep on the vanity in the bathroom that keeps more current products to hand. You might look at her line, although I think the toile is no longer available.

Respected Contributor

I was starting to feel like a hoarder!  So I bit the bullet and pared down my makeup to ONLY items I use.  Anything old I tossed, except a few eye shadows (I didn't think they would go "bad").  Bought that wooden Lori Greiner makeup cabinet from the Q, and put what I use in it.  Now I see everything I have when I open all the sliding sections, and find I am using items that never saw the light of day before.  I have yet to look for something that isn't there...so I haven't missed what I tossed!

I just had to have a good talk with myself...how may tubs of the same brown eye shadow do I really need at one time?  Answer is one!

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I'll tell you what I did. About eight years ago I bought lots and lots of china place settings on sale. They each came in their own box with a handle. I had nine of them, and I filled each one with cosmetics and toiletries, numbered them, inventoried the contents, and put them in a shelving unit in a closet off the bedroom. Then I lost the inventory sheet, put so much stuff in front of the boxes I couldn't get to them, and forgot they were there.

Recently I dug them out and rediscovered my mega stash. The toiletries, which I never opened, appear to be good, and I've started using them. Most of the makeup was fine. I pitched the mascaras because they were dried out, but everything else was usable. I rediscovered one I loved, Dr. Denese's Brown Sugar lip gloss. I have 40-year-old Yardley lip gloss that's still good, so 8 years doesn't faze me.

My advice, especially on GWP, is archive everything, forget you have it, and one day when you're feeling like breaking the budget with a beauty splurge, you can dig the stuff out of storage and enjoy.

P.S. I do have a nice Lori Grenier toile unit I keep on the vanity in the bathroom that keeps more current products to hand. You might look at her line, although I think the toile is no longer available.

IMHO, a 40 year old lip gloss, Yardley or whoever, is never ever good.

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 

The first photo is a large rectangular clear storage box. I have Tarte and JM TSV boxes with items inside (makes the box look nicer).  Then, I have several gallon size Ziploc bags labeled with categories such as mascara, eyeliners, face creams/serums, brushes, lipstick, etc. stored inside. Many of these were to organize GWP's by category, along with various components of TSV's (I use the parts at differing rates). When I need a new mascara, cream, or lotion, I simply pull out the Ziploc and there it is!

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0007.jpg         IMG_0008.jpg

Also, in the master bathroom, I have a clear organizer with compartments ( from Overstock).  These are the items that I use daily.  All other make-up goes in a large drawer in the bathroom where I have Rubbermaid dividers (maybe from the home organizing section from Wal-Mart).

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

I also have other ways to stash my beauty library, but these have served me well!  

My Wen stash is in a huge,  plastic organizer that I found at Michael's (for crafts).

I am buying only what I need lately and trying to deplete my stock before I purchase more.  It is actually working!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take all those GWPs and group them together by skin care jars, mascaras, cleansers and makeup removers. Then I go to this site http://checkcosmetic.net/. and see which is the oldest product and put that first in the rotation to use.

All my eyeshadow palettes from Lancôme are grouped together and all my UD singles are grouped together. My eyepencils are in one holder and are alphabetized -- using an acrylic lipstick holder which holds 48 pencils plus has 4 drilled holes for 4 more pencils. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼