Respected Contributor

Re: How can I get volume and lift in the roots of my hair?

Redken Guts, Aveda Volumizing Tonic and Tweak's 2XL.

Valued Contributor

In my wonderful (NOT) old age my hair has thinned out on the crown so bad that my dermatologist told me to use men's rogaine which I have been using for years.  Then I use Nick's products for volume when shampooing.  For lift and drying I use WOW root lift on the crown and then lightly spray around the rest of my hair.  Never have had anything that works so good.....got WOW from my hairdresser but Wal-Mart, online, sells WOW root lift spray for something like $23....I highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use aveda  Invati. I got bought it on high recommendation for thinning hair.  I notice it lifts the roots right away.  It doesn't make my hair sticky like most hair root lifters

it has a directionalspray  nozzle.  On dry or wet hair,  lift hair in parts, spray on scalp and root.  Massage in a bit .  It makes my hair fuller instantly.  Plus it does help thinning hair. I like to use it on dry hair.  But if you use on wet and dry, it lifts really well.  I have naturally curly hair.  I use a curly gel first, spray this on hair roots, let dry naturally and scrunch a bit for lift only.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've given up on trying to get volume in my hair.  My hairdresser uses volume products before blow drying my hair and it helps a bit, but not enough to make much difference.  My previous hairdresser and I had a standing joke.  She would say what are we doing today?  I would always say I would like to get some volume especially in my crown, and she would say, and you know you're not going to get that right?  We would laugh.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat  I use Aquage Thickening spray gel for over 6 years now.  I tried a couple of other brands but nothing comes close to Aquage.  I love to run my fingers thru my thick hair after I blow dry.  LOL  It also gives some volume.  If you want additional volume then bring out the big guns with the Uplifting Foam.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Biftu  May I suggest Acure Volume Shampoo (no sulfates but gives volume) (there is also a volume conditioner if you need it) and use Aquage thickening spray gel.  Start off with that.  If you need additional volume use the Uplifting foam by Aquage.  My hair is short layers.  I only need the spray gel (it's a very fine mist).  I only use the Uplifting foam if I really want volume.  I have been using these products for over 6 years now.  My hair is thin/normal.  Normal all over but thinner on the top back (due to my age). lol  What's a girl going to do?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have tried several and my current favorite is Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume.  Haven't used it since I got my perm in October, but will have to start using it again soon.  I was actually surprsed how well it worked considering it doesn't contain ingredients I avoid (sulfates, parabens, most silicones, drying alcohols, & PEG's). It does have a silicone, but it's a water-soluble one.  

I'm getting low, so I'm wondering about the stick (looks like deodorant stick) on HSN by Tru Hair that you rub onto dry roots.  What I really want is volume on upper sides/back since my hair tends to flatten out there giving me a Gene Simmons look.  I want something more rounded, full on top, wispy on the bottom.

Super Contributor

Ever try TEASING your hair? I do it all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Think of a Nick Chavez presentation.......... lean over and blow dry your hair upside down.  Works for me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Joico and Unite both make wonderful root lift products. My hair is super thick but I still need lift at the root because it's so heavy. Unite's product is called Expanda Volume Root Energizer and Joico's is called Body Luxe Root Lift Voluminizing Foam. I have found with Joico don't overdo it. It can make the hair a little sticky. A few quick shots work great.