Trusted Contributor

How can I get volume and lift in the roots of my hair?

I recently bought a waving device that makes great waves in the rest of my hair (thank you to the poster that suggested this, sorry, I cannot remember your name), but I can't get the crown wavy or get any volume in it. My hair is very flat on top.  I've tried different mousse in the past and hair gels but nothing works. Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: How can I get volume and lift in the roots of my hair?

Talk to your stylist. They are the professionals who cut hair and can make recommendations. 

Honored Contributor

I use my Voloom Rootie on my crown area. Then afterwards I smooth out the outermost hair with my Calista Perfecter...just a little bit but enough to smooth out any frizzies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have fine, poker straight hair.  Although I've been told it's not thin by hairstylists, I would disagree.

I have found that the best products for my root area are root blasting foams that have a spray nozzle on them similar to hairspray and you spray at the root.  Right now I am using Redken Guts.  On wet hair, I spread my hair and spray a line of this foam along the root area in several spots and then work into my hair.  Then I blow dry.

I have also used TIGI Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day.  

I like the Guts a little bit more.  Even my hairstylist has commented about the increased volume.    

Occasional Contributor

I use Root Boost by TIGI. It is in a blue can. I spray a little in a few areas on the very top of my head where I want a little lift then dry as normal. Really seems to work and I have thick hair too.

Occasional Contributor

My new "go to" for volume is texturizing spray. I would call it a cross between dry shampoo and hair spray. It is much lighter than dry shampoo, but gives you the increased volume and body that dry shampoo does. It does not create a sticky/hard feelilng like some hairspray does. The orginal I used was Bumble and Bumble dryspun texturizer, but it is really expensive. After trying many substitutes, I found a product I think is equally good, and available on Amazon at a reasonable price. It is called Kenra texture spray. Happy hair days!

Honored Contributor

@newjersey Did you pit the gel on your roots or on the ends.   I have a lot of hair but it's fine.  I have to get gel on the roots before blow drying and blowing at the roots.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for the Voloom Rootie.  A quick and easy root lift.   

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use my Voloom Rootie on my crown area. Then afterwards I smooth out the outermost hair with my Calista Perfecter...just a little bit but enough to smooth out any frizzies.

Honored Contributor

@newjersey  Have you tried Aquage Uplifting Foam?  Apply to root for maxium volume.  Walmart sells it, probably Amazon and others.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@newjersey  Have you tried Aquage Uplifting Foam?  Apply to root for maxium volume.  Walmart sells it, probably Amazon and others.

I use this too. And Aquage Thickening Spray Gel. I buy at Ulta and have used coupon