Honored Contributor

Re: How are your nails holding up

@lulu1 

Thanks but this method will destroy the coating on my ails that I am trying to preserve. Also I have no acetone polish remover and amazon is runing 10 days to two weeks to get the product out.

The drill is working well for what I need it to do

@lulu1 wrote:

There was an article posted from Allure about removing Dip Nails. It is much easier and less damaging than using a dremel.

If you have any added length from the dip powder, take your nail clippers and cut off the extension down to your natural nail length. Nail artist Ashlie Johnson says this is a hack for speeding up the entire process. Next, use the coarse side of your nail file (100) to remove the seal, the shiny top coat of your dip manicure, by buffing. "The thinner the (dip powder) layers, the less time you’ll have to soak your fingers later," says Johnson.

Before you soak your nails in acetone, nail artist Amy Le has a tip to help protect your skin: rub petroleum jelly on your fingertips and into your cuticles, avoiding your nail bed. "This will help prevent the skin around your nails from drying out," she says. Next, pour the acetone into a bowl and place both hands in, fully submerging each nail (you can also use two smaller bowls if it’s too crowded in there). In order for the dip powder to loosen, you will need to soak your nails for at least 10 to 20 minutes, says Le. A good indicator you’re done? The dip should flake off easily. If it doesn’t, she suggests soaking your nails for an additional five to seven minutes. Remember: Patience is your friend during the removal process.

Once the dip loosens and begins to flake, take the metal pusher or orangewood stick and lightly scrape off the polish, starting from the cuticle area to the end of your nail. "The dip should come off without applying too much pressure on your nail bed," says Monserrat Rodriguez, nail artist and owner of Shears and Laque nail salon in Rancho Cucamonga, California.

If there are tiny pieces of polish remaining, don't worry. Take your buffer and gently rub them off. Buffing will also even out the texture of your nail and create a smooth finish. If the shape of your nails is jagged and uneven, take your nail file (180) and create your ideal shape, but keep your length on the shorter side, especially if they seem weak. Johnson says this is the best way to prevent damaged nails from breaking or splitting.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Finished product it is not perfect but it is 100% better than it was

A8F87968-CE9B-4E8A-819E-278620488295.jpeg

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I do my own nails, so they’re holding up just fine.  I’ve always loved doing my nails and have a waaay too big collection of polish.  So this is one thing that the virus situation hasn’t changed for me.  

The only thing I’m doing differently is using up some of the colors that turned out to be a little bit too far out.  No one will see them, so I’m using them once and then tossing the bottle. Right now I’m wearing a rather neon looking light blue. I swear it didn’t look that way in the bottle 🥴

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I do my own nails so no issues there BUT my toes look pretty bad and need a pedi!!  I can cut them and keep them neat but painting is a real challenge.

Respected Contributor

I soaked my dip polish off yesterday without a problem.  Luckily, the color that had been on since late-February was very, very light so it didn't really bother me waiting til the salon reopened.  What bothered me was how long they had gotten and how it kind of hurt to type.

I suggest doing one hand at a time because it's easier to wrap your nails with the foil -- and it can be messy.

I used straight acetone just like how they do it in the salon -- soaked cotton with the acetone right on the nail and wrapped it with foil and put a plastic glove on.  Waited.  And waited.  Patience is not a virtue of mine, but you need to wait.  Remove the foil, resaturate the cotton with more acetone, refoil, reglove, and wait some more.  When you unwrap your nails, soak cotton in more acetone and really work at the dip which is now a little stretchy.  Keep doing that until all the old dip is gone.  For me, since I needed them cut badly, I was able to cut off the little bit of dip that was at the tip. I did not have to scrape my nails or anything which was what I was afraid of.  Nails look good, if I do say so myself.  I used a lot of hand cream last night to help moisturize my cuticles.  It was honestly easier than I thought it would be.  (Just remember to do one hand at a time.)

If you're going to try it, good luck!  You'll be happy you did, too!

Respected Contributor

My nails look great! No polish, just short, buffed, shiny, and healthy.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.