Super Contributor

Re: How are you diferent than your Mother?

I'm taller, my mother is smarter ... otherwise, two peas in a pod.

Honored Contributor

My Mom was a 1950's Mom. She graduated high school at 14. And then took off a year before she started college. She spent that year taking college courses. She was quite a smart woman. Her picture was often in the newspaper and college brochures.

As long as I knew her - she only ate and prepared "the right food". Lots of vegetables and fruits. Only on special occasions would there be cake in the house. Growing up no one had trouble with their weight. If we wanted a snack - there was always raw carrots or cut apples to munch on. Our meals were always balanced.

She also made sure she exercised everyday, even into her 80's. She and her lady friends went to the local Y and took an exercise swimming class 3 times a week. The other days they walked in a local park. I don't think she ever weighed more than 105 pounds (except when she was pregnant.)

She and I were complete opposites.

Honored Contributor

I don't compare myself to my mom. To compare myself to her is just not right. OP sounds like she's bragging (sorry, that's how I took it). I don't care what my mom or I look like on the outside or what we eat or how we dress. We are two intelligent, strong, determined, gracefully aging women, alike in many ways and different in many ways. Mom is weeks shy of 82 and I turn 60 in a couple of weeks. I'm the luckiest person in the world to have a Mom like her. I'm very lucky to have both of my parents still...they celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary in a few days.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/10/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I don't compare myself to my mom. To compare myself to her is just not right. OP sounds like she's bragging (sorry, that's how I took it). I don't care what my mom or I look like on the outside or what we eat or how we dress. We are two intelligent, strong, determined, gracefully aging women, alike in many ways and different in many ways. Mom is weeks shy of 82 and I turn 60 in a couple of weeks. I'm the luckiest person in the world to have a Mom like her. I'm very lucky to have both of my parents still...they celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary in a few days.

Your post made my eyes misty.

I miss my parents so much.

Do the math.
Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

OP sounds like she's bragging (sorry, that's how I took it).

That's how I took it too, but I was afraid to say anything. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I like thee word SashaMatthews used---"separateness". Even though I da younger sisters who were twins, I grew up solo. I stayed in my room (they called it the castle) and studied and read lots of books even in the summertime. I cleaned and cooked when Mom went to work when I was 6 years old. I worked to earn most of my yearly college tuition. Got straight A's in high school and Dean's List in college. Got a great job and married wonderful guy 47 years ago. My Mom never complimented me nor used any of the neat gifts I got her--I found a lot of them in her closet when she went into assisted living for her Alzheimer's condition. When she went into the nursing home, she couldn't remember my name nor most other folks' names. She took to calling me "Lovely lady." Somehow that made up for a lot of stuff.....
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Happy Mothers' Day: Mom, Aunt Rita, Sister Peg,SSJ,and Emily (DH's Mom)---the women in my life!!!! You each gave me something precious!!!!!!!??
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Happy Mothers' Day: Mom, Aunt Rita, Sister Peg,SSJ and Emily (DH's Mom)---you each gave me something very precious!!!!!!!!
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Sorry for the double post---I couldn't see it: thought I hit cancel by mistake.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

My mother has mental health issues and from the time I was 10 I was doing all the cooking and cleaning. I never felt I had a mother, per se. My other sibling has not visited my mother in over 12 years. I am very envious of those of you have loving, supportive mothers. On days like this it is painful.