Honored Contributor

Re: How To Get Rid of a Patch of Chinny Chin Chin Hairs!

@CaliKat 

'Search' bar for this forum is located up top, just below your avatar/name.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CaliKat 

'Search' bar for this forum is located up top, just below your avatar/name.

@SilleeMee 

I must be blind. LOL. Thank you very much! 

Valued Contributor

Shaving is recommended prior to using the device. Do not epilate because the hair root needs to be there for the light to absorb its energy there. Without the root in place then the energy given off from the device has no where to go and will just get diffused. 

@SilleeMee 

I'm a little leary about shaving in case the IPL device doesn't work on my white hairs. If it didn't work then I would have more chin hairs because of shaving the whole area. What would happen if I used the IPL device without first shaving the hairs, if I just zapped the whiskers?

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

Shaving is recommended prior to using the device. Do not epilate because the hair root needs to be there for the light to absorb its energy there. Without the root in place then the energy given off from the device has no where to go and will just get diffused. 

@SilleeMee 

I'm a little leary about shaving in case the IPL device doesn't work on my white hairs. If it didn't work then I would have more chin hairs because of shaving the whole area. What would happen if I used the IPL device without first shaving the hairs, if I just zapped the whiskers?

@CaliKat 

Shaving will not make you get more hair...that's a myth. The reason why you need to shave away hair before using any IPL device is because the light from the IPL device will get absorbed by the long hair at the surface of your skin...that's not where the light needs to go, but it will if you don't shave first. The light needs to go below the surface, where the root of the hair is located. The root , not the hair itself, needs to be treated so the hair doesn't grow back.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@CaliKat 

Shaving will not make you get more hair...that's a myth. The reason why you need to shave away hair before using any IPL device is because the light from the IPL device will get absorbed by the long hair at the surface of your skin...that's not where the light needs to go, but it will if you don't shave first. The light needs to go below the surface, where the root of the hair is located. The root , not the hair itself, needs to be treated so the hair doesn't grow back.

@SilleeMee 

Thank you again. I appreciate you explaining how it works. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and shave my whiskers.

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat 

Treating white hair with an IPL device is difficult. What you need to know is that not any IPL device will work and that should be made clear in the description of the device when you look at it. IPL which incorporates RF (radiofrequency) technology will work. You need to look for that kind of device specifically if you need to treat white hair. Otherwise you will be wasting your time and money. Another thing you need to know about white hair removal is that it can take more treatments and longer time to remove. That's just how it is with white hair. I had a few white hairs in my bikini area and those took months of treatments to get rid of them. But once they were gone, they were gone for good.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CaliKat 

Treating white hair with an IPL device is difficult. What you need to know is that not any IPL device will work and that should be made clear in the description of the device when you look at it. IPL which incorporates RF (radiofrequency) technology will work. You need to look for that kind of device specifically if you need to treat white hair. Otherwise you will be wasting your time and money. Another thing you need to know about white hair removal is that it can take more treatments and longer time to remove. That's just how it is with white hair. I had a few white hairs in my bikini area and those took months of treatments to get rid of them. But once they were gone, they were gone for good.

@SilleeMee 

Thank you. It's so kind of you to point this out. I was planning on ordering the MeChic, since that is the one you had success with. I realize there's no guarantee. I appreciate knowing your experience with it.