Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much Would You Pay For A Haircut

I live in an area where prices are high. However, I've been going to the same GREAT sylist for 15 years. I have long hair. I pay only $40 for haircolor and trim. She just recently raised the price.

Respected Contributor

I don't like paying a lot for a haircut and I expect to have a perfect, precision cut.

Stylists go to school and take tests to pass in order to get a license.

I've found over 90% don't do a good job no matter what they charge.  They're busy talking and not paying attention. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing.

I cut my own and my husband's hair, have for years.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube that demonstrate how to cut your own hair.

I wonder how much $ we've saved.

I never did like going to the hair salon.

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

No more than $15.

Seriously.

I have wavy hair that's trimmed/cut dry, with sometimes maybe just a little spritz on the ends.

This is because wavy (& curly) hair 'shrinks up' a bit as it dries, so it's hard to tell what the exact results will be.

My fave places is the chain 'Great Clips', and if you get on their email and mailing lists, they'll mail you a few coupon cards each year.  8)

We go to a discount chain.

We used to pay more and we weren't getting that great of a cut-neither my DH nor me, so we started going to the discount chain salons when we moved here, and the cuts that we get are fine now. 

I've been growing my hair out and have been wearing it long again, so I am just getting it cut periodically now so that my layers can continue to grow out. 

Respected Contributor

I tip only if the service is beyond ordinary and the hairstylist does something extra.

When I go in for a simple haircut and it costs $50 why would I give more money?  I'm paying for a service of $50 and that's all that was done.  

Tipping has gotten so out of hand.  It's like people just give out money because they think it's expected. 

Esteemed Contributor

My prices are inner city Chicago.  When I was still relaxing my hair up until a about five years ago, my tab had crept up to $125 (haircut and relaxer).  If I had opted for deep conditioning treatment (a must with relaxed hair) another $26 would have been added to the bill.  Fortunately, I was deep conditioning at home with Ojon Restorative Treatment. and Aveda's Damage Remedy.  Funny thing I use an Aveda salon and Damage Remedy is the product which would have been used for the in-salon treatment. It was more cost effective for me to buy the Intensive Treatment and use it at home.  I do my deep conditioning treatments in the steamroom at my gym.  I think the results are better than under the dryer at the salon.  

I no longer get relaxers, my bill is still $75 for a haircut.   

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I tip only if the service is beyond ordinary and the hairstylist does something extra.

When I go in for a simple haircut and it costs $50 why would I give more money?  I'm paying for a service of $50 and that's all that was done.  

Tipping has gotten so out of hand.  It's like people just give out money because they think it's expected. 

I'd never not tip - unless something awful happened.  Maybe you only get very basic service because you don't tip?

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

The stylist does not get that $50.

Sorry, but unless you are not satisfied with your cut, the stylist deserves a tip.

Talk about setting yourself up for salon gossip.  I'd be embarrassed to walk through the door.

Respected Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

The stylist does not get that $50.

Sorry, but unless you are not satisfied with your cut, the stylist deserves a tip.

Talk about setting yourself up for salon gossip.  I'd be embarrassed to walk through the door.

My stylist OWNS her own salon and is the only person in there, she rents out a small section on someone's home, has it decorated all cute and is the only person in there. Her price is 40.00 and I always feel obligated to tip.... Even though she owns the salon so the 40.00 does go to her, not sure which is correct, has me thinking....

Valued Contributor

No more than $20.00. I usually pay around $15 or so. My hair is straight and fairly uncomplicated.