Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Would You Pay For A Haircut

Where I live, unless you go to a crummy place like Super Cuts,  most salons charge at least for a  ladies cut $50 easy. I usually give a $10 tip.

Valued Contributor

Mall salons have a high overhead to pay.  Booth renting is very high for a stylist.

Honored Contributor

Most salons charge "a la carte" ......   I used to go to a salon that started charging $15 extra for a blow dry after cutting!      

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I went to one of those walk-in places in the mall and asked for a trim just at the nape of my neck.  It took the woman all of 10 minutes, she took off about 1/8 of an inch.  I was charged $35.  It's ridiculous.

@Karnerblue

Yes, that was ridiculous .....   I saw a famous hair stylist address this question .....  he said it really doesn't matter if the client wants 1/4 inch or 2 inches off ....  the number of snips and the time it takes are the same.   Well, that was his justification, lol.

Respected Contributor

I live in north NJ, a NYC suburb, and prices are all over the place.  I tried some fancier salons ($60-$75 for a cut and blow dry) and was not pleased with the result.  It all depends on the stylist.

I go to a mall salon and pay $30 which is very reasonable.  My husband goes to Great Clips or Supercuts but he gets a very short haircut and he's not fussy.  I won't go to those places since I want the same stylist every time.

Honored Contributor

I guess the moral of the story is to have the stylist quote a price before you get in the chair, when you have the most bargaining power.

If you just sit in the chair and they do the work, they can ask what they want with no negotiation.    

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 justification my butt.  The number of snips for 1/8 of an inch off your neck is totally not the same as it would be if I had really long hair and they had spent an hour cutting it short, I would have been charged way more.  I don't mind paying for service, but I didn't really get any (or at least $35 worth.)

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 justification my butt.  The number of snips for 1/8 of an inch off your neck is totally not the same as it would be if I had really long hair and they had spent an hour cutting it short, I would have been charged way more.  I don't mind paying for service, but I didn't really get any (or at least $35 worth.)

@Karnerblue

I agree completely, and am sorry if that wasn't clear.

Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

My hairdresser went up  in her prices from $22.00 for a wash haircut  and blowdry to $32.00 I do like her so I don't mind, but a new hairsalon just opened in my area and the reviews are all soo good and the cuts do look good on their facebook page but I was shocked to see a wash haircut and dry was $65.00. Is this the normal pricing now? Or are they just super expensive? I don't know if I would ever consider this price.

@cuddlesmama That is NOT super-expensive, though it may be more than someone's budget can afford. $65 would be low in California for an Aveda salon, for example; the owner would get $80+

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 you were clear... I was just reiterating my point Smiley Happy

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."