Honored Contributor

Re: How Much To Tip The Shampooer

[ Edited ]

It depends on the set up of the salon.  Shampoo persons are usually apprentices.  They are under the direction of a stylist usually.  Some stylists who have a trainee for a month tip them out from their tips.  Some stylists let the customer tip.  I think 3 to 5.00 for the shampoo person is enough! 

Apprentices are selected and chosen by the owner of a salon.  They spend most of the time under the tutelage of the owner.  Then they are passed on and off to stylists for training, and to be shown coloring, wrapping, cutting, etc.  They can't cut, but they watch and learn.  They do help wrap highlights, help mix solutions. and shampoo.  Then they sweep, clean .  It is a long, hard job.  But it is worth it, if someone is willing to take you on.  You do not get paid for 2 years, so the tips can buy lunch, and put a gallon of gas in the car

Honored Contributor

I love my stylist!  She does it all for me.  Audrey was an apprentice and the other pro stylists would use her to do the shampoo.  I LOVED it then when Audrey did my shampoo because she KNOWS how to the job right and give me an AWESOME head massage.  I could lay back and let her do me for hours if I could.  I've told her that too, she would make a fabulous massuse (sp?) too.  If she even needs a second calling this is the field she could easily go into.  After Audrey puts a deep conditioner on my hair (after washing) she'll wrap my hair/head in a hot towel then she'll do a hand massage.  OMG - I'd have thought I died and went to heaven! 

Sorry, I digress.  Anyway, since Audrey does it all for me at least, she's the one who gets my entire tip - $20 and around the holidays whenever my appt falls I give her $30 or $40.  Audrey knows what she's doing and does it all very well.

Honored Contributor

I tip my stylist 20%; shampoo girl, nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, I am envious of your Audrey! When I lived out in the country, I used a stylist in a small town to cut my hair. She is young and hip and fun. When I moved into my small city, I continued to drive the 25 miles to get my hair cut because I was afraid to find a stylist who would cut my hair correctly. Plus, the stylist I use charges $15, and the going rate where I live now is $50+. My stylist always washes my hair herself. I always tip her at least $10. I never have a problem getting in, lol, she says if the ladies in town tip her, it's always a dollar or two.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

I tip $2-3.

Trusted Contributor

$2 for shampooer; $20 for stylist.  The shampooer does strictly that - does a good job but does not assist the stylist.

Honored Contributor

Two bucks for the shampooer.

Esteemed Contributor

I do my tipping when I check out and pay for services.  Do you all do that or do you tip when you are at the shampoo station?  I never see anyone tip there.  I give my stylist 20-30 percent plus $2 for the shampoo but I assume she pays her. 

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I do my tipping when I check out and pay for services.  Do you all do that or do you tip when you are at the shampoo station?  I never see anyone tip there.  I give my stylist 20-30 percent plus $2 for the shampoo but I assume she pays her. 

I do my tipping when I'm checking out.  I tell the receptionist how much tip for my stylist and how much for the stylist assistant.  She notates it on the bill so I know each person gets their tip Smiley Happy 

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

I tip my styist when she is finished before I go to change.  If I happen to see the shampoo girl, I tip her.  If not, I do it as I am checking out.  They have  little evelopes set out (printed with to/from) which you then put into a jar.