Honored Contributor

How Much Of A Hair Product Should You Use?

JENNY YUEN

If you've ever asked yourself, How much of this stuff am I supposed to use? about any hair product ever, then you need this chart and the pro advice from John Friedahairstylist Harry Josh (who tends to the manes of Gisele Bündchen, Lily Aldridge, Kate Bosworth — the list goes on!) that comes with it.

JENNY YUEN | TARA RICE

1. Mousse. You want to make sure every single strand is covered, Josh says. To do so, divide your hair into four quadrants and apply an egg-size amount to each quadrant. Finally, massage or brush it through, and style as usual.

2. Serum. If you have finer hair, to keep it from looking greasy, use no more than 1/2 a pump, or about the size of two grains of rice. For medium to thick hair, which can handle more, use the size of a quarter.

3. Dry shampoo. If you're using it to soak up oil, it's best to target the roots by parting your hair above your left ear with your pinky, lifting the hair up, and spraying one burst of formula for every 4 inches of hair directly on the part. Continue to do this in 1-inch increments across your entire head until you reach your right ear. Then, repeat these steps from the crown of your head to the nape of your neck.

If you're looking to increase volume, flip your hair upside down, holding the nozzle down, until you've covered all of your strands. If your hair is on the drier side, focus on the roots only when you're building body.

4. Salt spray. With wet hair, flip your hair upside down and lightly mist it over all your strands. Then, scrunch from ends to roots, allowing it to air dry. With dry hair (to create that sexy bedhead texture), mist a few pumps all over and attach a diffuser on your hair dryer to rough up the cuticle.

5. Hairspray. Use a windshield-wiper motion, spraying continuously until you've reached your desired hold. Whatever you do, don't direct the spray in the same area for too long, or that spot will look overly shiny and feel crunchy.

6. Dry texture spray. This formula isn't meant for your roots, so only use several bursts from the mid-length down to your ends. Flip your head upside down, ruffling through your hair with your fingers as you spray it, so you apply it evenly.

7. Wax/pomade. These formulas are perfect for shorter hair and curly textures. For shorter styles, a dime-size amount will do. To apply it, emulsify the wax or pomade in between your fingertips, and using quick motions, piece out your short hair to enhance its texture. For curlier textures, warm the product in your hands and twirl your curls around your fingers to apply the product.

8. Hair gel. Based on the thickness of your hair, section your wet strands into quadrants, then warm a nickel-size amount (for fine hair) between your hands, applying it to each quadrant; use a silver dollar-size for thick or coarse and curly hair. Then, style as usual.

9. Hair oil. This product is best applied to the ends of your hair when it's wet so it can really penetrate the deep layers of your strands. "You want to be sure to keep it away from your roots, since they're the healthiest and most hydrated part of your hair," Josh says. If you hair is especially dry, you can also apply it to the middle, but your ends are what will benefit from it the most. Use the equivalent of one grain of rice for fine hair and a nickel-size amount for thicker hair textures.

10. Blow-dry cream. This product is designed for women with thicker, coarser hair that struggles to stay smooth after a blowout. It's also very thick, so to apply it without weighing down your hair, it's best to section your hair into quadrants and never use more than anywhere from a blueberry- to a grape-size amount per quadrant, depending on the thickness.

Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Of A Hair Product Should You Use?

Thank you @ECBG, good to know!❤️

Honored Contributor

Wow I didn’t realize how many products are available for the hair. 

I’m keeping my hair shorter plus letting the blonde fade so the gray/silver/white can take over.  May need to change my products depending on the texture of my hair.

Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG. Thank-you!!!! This was very interesting. I have been using too much serum and shampoo.......

Esteemed Contributor

The chart is a good reference and I believe most beauty schools include charts like this in their instruction to students as they train to work with a variety of hair types, but like skincare and everything else individual needs vary.  My hair is a tight sponge and over the years I have learned, and professional hairdressers who have worked on my hair quickly see that whatever amount they normally use on curly hair they have to add a bit more for me.  

Honored Contributor

Interesting chart, but that seems like a lot of mousse to us on your hair.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:
JENNY YUEN

If you've ever asked yourself, How much of this stuff am I supposed to use? about any hair product ever, then you need this chart and the pro advice from John Friedahairstylist Harry Josh (who tends to the manes of Gisele Bündchen, Lily Aldridge, Kate Bosworth — the list goes on!) that comes with it.

JENNY YUEN | TARA RICE

1. Mousse. You want to make sure every single strand is covered, Josh says. To do so, divide your hair into four quadrants and apply an egg-size amount to each quadrant. Finally, massage or brush it through, and style as usual.

2. Serum. If you have finer hair, to keep it from looking greasy, use no more than 1/2 a pump, or about the size of two grains of rice. For medium to thick hair, which can handle more, use the size of a quarter.

3. Dry shampoo. If you're using it to soak up oil, it's best to target the roots by parting your hair above your left ear with your pinky, lifting the hair up, and spraying one burst of formula for every 4 inches of hair directly on the part. Continue to do this in 1-inch increments across your entire head until you reach your right ear. Then, repeat these steps from the crown of your head to the nape of your neck.

If you're looking to increase volume, flip your hair upside down, holding the nozzle down, until you've covered all of your strands. If your hair is on the drier side, focus on the roots only when you're building body.

4. Salt spray. With wet hair, flip your hair upside down and lightly mist it over all your strands. Then, scrunch from ends to roots, allowing it to air dry. With dry hair (to create that sexy bedhead texture), mist a few pumps all over and attach a diffuser on your hair dryer to rough up the cuticle.

5. Hairspray. Use a windshield-wiper motion, spraying continuously until you've reached your desired hold. Whatever you do, don't direct the spray in the same area for too long, or that spot will look overly shiny and feel crunchy.

6. Dry texture spray. This formula isn't meant for your roots, so only use several bursts from the mid-length down to your ends. Flip your head upside down, ruffling through your hair with your fingers as you spray it, so you apply it evenly.

7. Wax/pomade. These formulas are perfect for shorter hair and curly textures. For shorter styles, a dime-size amount will do. To apply it, emulsify the wax or pomade in between your fingertips, and using quick motions, piece out your short hair to enhance its texture. For curlier textures, warm the product in your hands and twirl your curls around your fingers to apply the product.

8. Hair gel. Based on the thickness of your hair, section your wet strands into quadrants, then warm a nickel-size amount (for fine hair) between your hands, applying it to each quadrant; use a silver dollar-size for thick or coarse and curly hair. Then, style as usual.

9. Hair oil. This product is best applied to the ends of your hair when it's wet so it can really penetrate the deep layers of your strands. "You want to be sure to keep it away from your roots, since they're the healthiest and most hydrated part of your hair," Josh says. If you hair is especially dry, you can also apply it to the middle, but your ends are what will benefit from it the most. Use the equivalent of one grain of rice for fine hair and a nickel-size amount for thicker hair textures.

10. Blow-dry cream. This product is designed for women with thicker, coarser hair that struggles to stay smooth after a blowout. It's also very thick, so to apply it without weighing down your hair, it's best to section your hair into quadrants and never use more than anywhere from a blueberry- to a grape-size amount per quadrant, depending on the thickness.

Thank you for this very useful bit of information. I tend overdo it most of the time. My hair is thick so I generally use more than what the product recommends. After reading this chart, I am not too far off of the mark.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG:  Thanks for the great article.  I was using too little serum on my hair.  I did what the article said today and liked what the product did.  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ECBGThank you for this most useful information!

Trusted Contributor

That seems like an awful lot of mousse!