Trusted Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Pay For A Haircut

I pay $65.00 + tip for shampoo, cut, blowout and style. I've been going to my stylist for 30 yrs.

Respected Contributor

I pay 135 for cut and color, I tip her well also even though she owns the salon.  Its a pretty decent price for where I live.  When I first started going to her I hadn't had a cut in a few years so she charged 60 for a haircut but she said that it was more since it took a long time since no cut for years, I have LOTS of hair.

Esteemed Contributor

About $20.  I go to the local barbershop with my hubby.  No problem, great service, and it reminds me of Floyd's Barber Shop on the Andy Griffith Show long ago.  Plenty of neighborhood gossip. 

Esteemed Contributor

Last salon cut I had was in Sept 2019; my hair is several inches below my shoulders with a bit of natural curl ( and I went grey so no color).  I bought shears, thinning shears and a hair cutting template from Amazon. Now DH cuts my hair about every 3 months; I cut his every 6 weeks.  Imagine the money we've saved in 3 years!  I used to go to my niece ( A very good stylist) every 3 mths; got a family rate for DH and me but I tipped $75.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk Just wondering why people do not tip the owner of the salon. Never heard of that before. 

Honored Contributor

I never get a so-called haircut or styling -- I just get a trim.  I went yesterday and with a senior discount it was $18.00. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Winkk Just wondering why people do not tip the owner of the salon. Never heard of that before. 

@panda1234 -- That is faily common practice.  I think it assumes the owner makes all the profits whereas the hair stylists are employees and don't have any say in how much is charged.  That's what I heard.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@panda1234 -- That is faily common practice.  I think it assumes the owner makes all the profits whereas the hair stylists are employees and don't have any say in how much is charged.  That's what I heard.

@Winkk  You are mostlikely correct. 

Honored Contributor

I pay $130 for a haircut, color (single process), and blowout. I give the woman who shampoos my hair $5 and tip my stylist $27. I could stand to go every 6 weeks but I stretch it out to 8 weeks. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on where I go. JC Penney salon charges me $40 for a cut and style.  I also use Great Clips which cost $16.  Both places have done a good job. Sometimes I feel like spending more money, other times I want to save more, so I vary between the two. 

The person who styles my hair also shampoos my hair if I need it. I find it interesting that some places have a different shampoo person as I've never seen it myself. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain