Honored Contributor

Re: How Far Will You Go With Beauty Aids???

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@ECBG 

Not far at all.  I was never a vain person, for lack of a better word, and what with raising my children, working, taking care of my home and outside obligations, I never realized that when I finally got to retire I might be old. 

Now, that I am old (mid 70's) my biggest concern is paying for, and keeping my teeth.  Believe me, the cost of dentistry would probably pay for a facelift. Smiley Sad

@Georgiagrama, Ain't that the truth.  And dental insurance doesn't cover hardly any of it (even though they claim they do).  For some reason I don't deserve the quality of materials my dentist uses even though they're on the list of what's covered.  Seems if they don't think I'm worth it, they will only pay for the cheapest material available.  I suggested to hubby we not even bother with it this year.  Don't know why he didn't cancel it.  It's pretty much worthless.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Been down the road and still traveling. Why not if it works and I’m working, can afford it? I’ve had fillers in deep eye troughs, which helped fabulously, pretty much permanent improvement! Also have Botox in the #1, and always looking at more. Tria has helped facial hair a lot! Also amazing is the Braun IPL unit which has reduced my prickly, horrid leg hair to almost none- That thing is a gift from heaven!! Thanks to the poster here who told me about it- I didn’t know!!  Love the new tech to fix issues!  Keep them coming! 

@Skyegirl21, I didn't really think fillers would work for eye troughs or tear troughs.  I have both.  Neither are deep, but that is mostly where I use concealer.  I would be afraid that it would create a ridge which would look just as bad as a trough.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Here is a real kick in the pants, we don't have dental insurance.!!

We had it when my husband was working, if you can call it that. I agree, it paid almost nothing. My dentist even told me once to "just save $200 a month toward your dentistry" !!!!!!  What???

I am slowly, and I mean slowly, as I can afford it having work done, but it's just fillings and two, possibly three crowns. The estimated bill is a total of $8,000.  Like I said, slowly and a little at a time.  I don't know how people afford implants. The cheapest I found was $3500 each !!  

Respected Contributor

I would like to try fillers if I could be sure they would not make me look weird. So many celebs, who can afford the best, look very strange - chipmunk cheeks, duck lips, etc. Not really much better than sagging and wrinkles in my opinion.

I figure if people with money can’t get it done right, there is not much hope for me. 

Honored Contributor

I had my teeth bonded ... but because of worn enamel.  "Beauty" was a welcome side effect.  

Other than that and having my hair done ... I really don't need anything else.  I inherited good genes.

Esteemed Contributor

@ Montana   You are correct in being concerned about how it will look!  So much depends on the skill of the person who does it.

I have had Botox & Fillers for years from an excellent Dr who also specializes in Lazers. Unfortunately he is 2 hours away & it’s a terrible trip with traffic congestion. 🚙🚛

BUT, he is worth it! The few times I have tried other people I have had a droopy eye and the dreaded duck 👄 lips. (They were so bad I couldn’t drink from a glass for weeks ).

I have my appointment in May because the alternative is drooping.

Last time I almost asked him when I should stop. Then I noticed he had just dyed his hair!  🤦‍♀️