Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?


@justashopper wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

 

Are you trying to use foundation to make your skin all one color?  

 

Or are you trying to use foundation to perfect each area?  

 

I don't think my face, neck or chest all match.  I am pretty fair and have a lot of pink in my skin and the chest area is definitely the pinkest.  Which I hate!  But like someone said, it's not the easiest to put foundation on the chest.... gets on clothes and doesn't really look great.  

 

So with all that, I match my foundation, concealer, powders etc to my face.  I don't put it all over... only in areas that need a little coverage (around nose, under eyes, above my brows and if I have a blemish) Then I use blur powder on my chest.  Nothing on my neck but skin care. That seems to work for me.  

 

I read somewhere from a MUA that our faces, necks, and chests don't match because the face and chest get more sun exposure.  the neck is shielded somewhat by our chins (unless you're laying out in the sun)


@justashopper

 

I'm not trying to put foundation any place other than my face.  I want a color that will be suitable to match my face and neck that are different complexions.  I don't want my face to look so obvious that I'm wearing make up.  So, like Mindy showed to match your color with the slides, that's what I've been doing trying to get a not so makeup look LOOk.

 

I don't want there be too much demarcation of where the makeup ends and my neck/chest begins. 





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,114
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

 

@gertrudecloset 

 

I think you've said no to every suggestion!  I am sorry you are afraid to see a professional.

 

Your post suggests I am recommending many products.  In fact, I mentioned I use only one, the IT CC cream illumination, instead of a foundation.  It is like a liquid foundation, but a little thicker.  It is buildable.  It doesn't have the variety of colors that Fenty has, but the color is very forgiving, meaning I can fade it into my lighter neck skin tone in its application.  I used the word blend in my previous post, I should have written fade, because it is only one product.  The color can be faded to the neck, where I don't apply any CC cream, only an SPF cream.  So my face is darker than my neck, because I apply the darker shade to my face because I prefer to match my arms and hands than to have a pale face, but the fading makes it not that noticeable.  I use a brush and fingers to apply.  It may be that if your neck and face are very different, a difference will still be noticeable, unless you apply makeup to face and neck, which I wouldn't do.  Like you said, your issue is common.  You can try a dermatologist to help even out the skin if you are self-conscious.  The CC cream has SPF.  I apply it on top of any anti-aging treatments/moisturizers I may be using.  Great on my dry skin.  Not matte!  Simple.  

This is QVC's post, but it also available elsewhere

https://www.qvc.com/IT-Cosmetics-Full-Coverage-SPF-50-CC-Cream-Illumination-w-Plush-Brush.product.A2...

 

I think you mentioned your eyebrows are disappearing.  If you are looking for a product, I find that powders look better than pencils when applied with the right brush.  I like the IT Cosmetics Brow Power Powder.  Macy's and Amazon have it.  I get mine at QVC on AD, but they don't have it now.  It Cosmetics also has a pencil, but I don't recommend it.  I got no color out of that, unless I pressed really hard, which then didn't give me the look that I liked.  Maybe the powder is too light for you.

 

The brush is this one, IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Brow-Transformer Brush #21, also available at Macy's and Amazon:

 

 

 

 

I hope you are happy with your results, whatever you choose to do.

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

 

@gertrudecloset 

 

I think you've said no to every suggestion!  I am sorry you are afraid to see a professional.

 

Your post suggests I am recommending many products.  In fact, I mentioned I use only one, the IT CC cream illumination, instead of a foundation.  It is like a liquid foundation, but a little thicker.  It is buildable.  It doesn't have the variety of colors that Fenty has, but the color is very forgiving, meaning I can fade it into my lighter neck skin tone in its application.  I used the word blend in my previous post, I should have written fade, because it is only one product.  The color can be faded to the neck, where I don't apply any CC cream, only an SPF cream.  So my face is darker than my neck, because I apply the darker shade to my face because I prefer to match my arms and hands than to have a pale face, but the fading makes it not that noticeable.  I use a brush and fingers to apply.  It may be that if your neck and face are very different, a difference will still be noticeable, unless you apply makeup to face and neck, which I wouldn't do.  Like you said, your issue is common.  You can try a dermatologist to help even out the skin if you are self-conscious.  The CC cream has SPF.  I apply it on top of any anti-aging treatments/moisturizers I may be using.  Great on my dry skin.  Not matte!  Simple.  

This is QVC's post, but it also available elsewhere

https://www.qvc.com/IT-Cosmetics-Full-Coverage-SPF-50-CC-Cream-Illumination-w-Plush-Brush.product.A2...

 

I think you mentioned your eyebrows are disappearing.  If you are looking for a product, I find that powders look better than pencils when applied with the right brush.  I like the IT Cosmetics Brow Power Powder.  Macy's and Amazon have it.  I get mine at QVC on AD, but they don't have it now.  It Cosmetics also has a pencil, but I don't recommend it.  I got no color out of that, unless I pressed really hard, which then didn't give me the look that I liked.  Maybe the powder is too light for you.

 

The brush is this one, IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Brow-Transformer Brush #21, also available at Macy's and Amazon:

 

 

 

 

I hope you are happy with your results, whatever you choose to do.

 

 


@NYCLatinaMeNo, my post does not suggest you are recommending products.

 

I was giving you insight to what I do and that I don't use a lot of makeup.

 

Yes, I have said no to all of the suggestions because they won't help me.

 

Thank you for trying anyway.  Note: It's not the end of the world.  I have identified shades that are more hydrating and I pray the colors will be more friendly to my un- uniform complexion (Face/Neck).





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,114
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

 

@justashopper I agree with what you said about the difference between face and neck, which is why I don't mind the difference.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?


@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

 

@justashopper I agree with what you said about the difference between face and neck, which is why I don't mind the difference.


@NYCLatinaMeI do.  Mines is a big difference.  Not slight.  Two shades.

 

If you had read my opening you would know that it is very noticeable.  Trying to find the perfect medium that doesn't look so silly has been my struggle.  That's just for me.  You and @justashopper can do what you feel is best.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

I will be buying Pat McGrath Labs and a shade from Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk.  Both are higher priced, but they have matched colors from my Estee Lauder that was too mattifying.

 

I will continue to use my setting spray, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, mascara (not always) and lippies.  That's all I do.  It's all I've ever done.  I don't need anything else.

 

I don't Prime

I don't conceal

I don't color correct

I don't want to blend

I don't bake

I don't use eyeshadow primers

Eyebrow glues (and I have sparse eyebrows)

I don't wear eye shadow much though I have some nice palettes never opened from Estee Lauder

 

I will see where my approach with the new formulas lands me.

 

Thanx to all.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,114
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

 

@gertrudecloset You have explained your issues many times.  I read each and every one of your posts and took the time to make a couple of suggestions.  

 

But the issue looks like something we can't help you on this board, as you have stated several times.  

 

Which is why I wrote if I were you I would see a make-up professional or dermatologist.  

 

But you reject that too.

 

Best of luck!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?


@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

 

 

 

Best of luck!

 

@NYCLatinaMethanks.  That's all I need from you.


 





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,778
Registered: ‎03-21-2010

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

@gertrudecloset 

Exactly. 

 

I took your post as you asking what others do and I was just sharing my perspective.  If it helps you or someone else, great.  If it doesn't, no sweat off my brow.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?


@justashopper wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Exactly. 

 

I took your post as you asking what others do and I was just sharing my perspective.  If it helps you or someone else, great.  If it doesn't, no sweat off my brow.  


thank you again, for chiming in @justashopper .





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life