Honored Contributor

Re: How Do you Match Your Foundation?

I match my foundation to my neck. The reason is b/c there is more neck/dec to cover than there is face. In other words, if I matched it to my face then I would have to use a lot of extra foundation to cover my neck so that it matches my face and that's not necessary if I just match it to my neck and not have to cover my neck.

Honored Contributor

I got the color match from my neck too--am a warm light----went to Ulta and had it done---was spot on too. Used to go for medium---way to dark for me.

Honored Contributor

I match my face, but I'm a stickler for blending so there is no line of demarcation especiallly around the hairline.  Our scalps are always lighter than anywhere else on our body.  I became obsessed with that after being with a friend where it was obvious where her makeup ended at her hairline.  

My current foundation I used one of those online matching sites where you enter other brands/shades you had used to come up with a contender.  Then, I went to Sephora and they did a match on me and it ended up being the same exact shade as the matching site suggested.  Their matching gun gave a shade that was obviously not right, so the girl called the expert over and she just looked at me.  

As an aside, you know how all the foundation presentations claim their foundations are very forgiving and if they don't have your shade (out of the 7 or so shades they have available for all of America) to just go up or down a shade. It'll work.  Well, I often take pics of my makeup so one day I used a favorite Doll 10 HydraGel foundation.  I knew it was too yellow; all the shopping channel foundations are too yellow for me; but it wasn't a dress-up day so decided to use it.  

When I looked at the pic I thought it looked fine.....until I compared it to a pic with my correctly matched foundation. And one of the tell-tale signs was my neck was obviously lighter in the Doll 10 shade.  So, yeah, you can get away with a not exact match, but I certainly wouldn't go up or down a shade if my almost match wasn't available.  

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   First of all you are not wearing foundation on your chest.  It is best to test on your face near the jaw line and if it blends in that is your shade.  I know Clinique offers several shades in a test pamphlet but I am not sure about others.  So it is best to go into a Nordstrom or Sephora.  Test out at least 3 shades and select the one that blends in to your skin tone.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am another fan of neutral foundation colors and color match along my jawline.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@gertrudecloset - My pet peeve is "the line." I'm light complected, so I'm always careful about my neck not being lighter. Some mua's will try to get me to go a little darker in my foundation to give my skin more warmth, but I won't do it. I tell them I'll warm up with my blush (I'm not one much for bronzer, and if I do wear it at all it's in the summer!)

@Shanus is our resident expert and mua. She'll be able to give you the best advice!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom I don't use bronzer.  I don't need it.  I'm a caramel complected skin tone that is two shades lighter in the neck and 3 shades lighter on the chest.  There is a discernable difference.

Everything I've read and from all the youtube videos I've come across tell me to match my chest (wherever possible).

I think I'll stick with it and maybe just use a different brand.

I thank you for the advice and your attempts to help me.  Very kind of you!!!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I'm the same color everywhere.  I'm not an outdoor person and hate the sun.  I match my face.

Yeah this is my problem @monicakm .  I'm not the same color everywhere.  I do understand that it's not abnormal though.  LOL. 

I don't get a lot of sun and have been known to have to take Vitamin D to get my numbers up.  I tend to run low.  I don't buy products with SPF for this reason.

Even when we do go out in the sun, there will be parts of our body that the sun never hits unless we plan on tanning.  I don't indulge in that.  I just have 3 shades from the center of my chest up!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I am not a "cool".......I am an "ice cold".......and only use color correctors.    Too bad....very few brand options left.........

lots of color correctors on sephora and ulta right?  I don't do all of this though.  You gals take your makeup game serious.  I'm not in your league.  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 thanks for chiming in.  I have stark difference in the complexion of my face vs. neck then vs chest.  I'll just keep matching my chest.  I'm gonna try a new formula/brand.

What I have been using is really matte (which is not that great for me).  It oxidizes as well.  

I'll work it though.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Do you match your foundation to your: face, neck or the center of your chest?  Sometimes our faces are darker/lighter than our neck and/or decllotte!  How about you?

I have a hard time with this because of my coloring being different all over.  Neck color similar to face, but chest area is much lighter like the inside of my arms (parts of body that don't get that sunlight).

Matched the center of chest in a foundation made me look pale an yellow.  However, most of what I read says to match to the center of the chest so your makeup look won't be so askew...

Thinking of a lighter shade to match center of chest.  There will be different undertones though.  Face is neutral, center of chest is warm.....I'm about to give up and just keep using what I've been using which is Fenty color that I can't seem to balance the two (chest + face).

@gertrudecloset   Good morning. Foundation questions re: how do you match are common. If concealer or foundation is "off", the entire makeup look is "off". To match your foundation correctly, swipe the shade on the side of your face from cheek towards jawline. The correct one should almost disappear. If at a store, you can swipe a few shades next to each other and see which one is not detectable.  If your neck is a bit darker or chest a bit lighter, it doesn't matter. Foundation should always match your face and then use a bit of bronzer to warm up face if neck is a shade darker. 

The factors to consider when looking for a shade is undertone...cool, neutral or warm and level of color...very fair, fair, medium, etc. 

You asked about chest and body. Since foundation is usually not used anywhere else except the face  (transfers to clothing), I wouldn't worry about that. 

Hope this helps. Enjoy the last day of the holiday. 

Hi @Shanus .  I've read all kinds of stuff and looked at professionals on youtube suggest that someone in my situation should get as close to the chest as possible.  

I'll continue along those lines.  I think I'm going to skip the matte and pick up something more hydrating and lighter in weight (and hope it doesn't oxidize).  Leaning toward Pat McGrath or Giorgio Armani Illuminous....

Thank you so much for chiming in to try and aid me in my struggle.  Teehee.  It's real!!!Robot wink