Respected Contributor

Re: How Are Appointments At Your Salon?

I'm actually going to my local Mall for salon appointment this afternoon.

Honored Contributor

No problem so far. 

I'm not surprised.  Among my friends, there's a fairly large percentage who are still close to voluntarily quarantined even though NY's infection rate has stayed below 1% for weeks now.

Valued Contributor

I get my hair cut every 4 weeks, we make my next appointment when she is done.  My stylist said about 30% of her customers haven't come back and she can get by with that.  The other stylists are only doing a couple people a day and she doesn't think they will be able to continue if more of their customers don't return. 

libby's folly
Valued Contributor

Since we were one of first to go out when pandemic started, I appreciate the new rules our State Board implemented.
Call from your car, mask for us is mandatory, one client to stylist, no waiting area, sanitizing stations, & we wipe down everything after each client.

Person that owns salon we rent from implement rule of customers wearing masks.We have some who are bothered by this but mostly ok.

Business is down but not just us.
Maybe the way its gonna be.
Respected Contributor

I normally went to a busy place with stylists and colorists.

After the reopening, I checked out if they had done anything other masks. There were no changes in spacing and all chairs were buzzing. 

So I found a small older shop off the beaten path. I explained that i wanted to be the first in or the last out. I washed my own hair and was in and out in under 30 minutes with no other customers.

It's not my favorite hair cut and I am doing my own color. I can make these adjustment a little longer. 

Honored Contributor

I’ve been to my hairdresser once. Appointment only. There was only my stylist and me in the shop when I went. She took my temperature at the door. We both wore masks. 

Trusted Contributor

Went to my first salon appointment since moving here. It's a place where each stylist has their own place inside a large place; the one I went to shares her place with another woman.

Masks must be worn in but once inside the pod (stylists private room), it's up to those their if they want the on or not. Place was PACKED, meaning, every person had clients and all were booked for the entire day. The person doing my hair told me how everyone had been working 7 days a week once COVID hit the news back in the Fall just in case; it was what saved her business and everyone else's when they had to shut down. 

Now, where my sons go is run VERY differently. Husband and wife team do only mens' cuts/grooming. You have to sign up OUTSIDE on a chalk board and then near your time, wait in your car till they text you. You then come in (all wear masks) and either he or she does the cut. 

I'm finding it truly depends on the place how it goes.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

Hair salons opened up in my area at the end of June. Appointments only, and temp checks were standard. There are no one waiting and everyone wore masks. At the beginning they weren't allowed to blow dry hair, but in subsequent appointments I saw them doing this. My hair is short so I didn't need one. 

I have yet to venture out to get a manicure or pedicure. I have been doing my own nails and I can live with that. 

Respected Contributor

Busines is doing very well at my salon with a few minor changes. They are keeping us further apart so no more double booking. Often when I would get a color while that was processing, my stylist would do someone else. Also when I get a pedi they can't schedule another pedi because the chairs are side by side. They also don't allow too many people in to wait for their service. Rather they are asked to wait outside and as soon as a chair is available then the client is called in. Not sure how this will go once the weather gets ugly. 

Contributor

They are slow getting back to "normal".   Call salon from your car upon arrival, they take your temperature, you wash your hands in their sink or use their sanitizer -of course all the time wearing your masks.

My hair is short, so last appointment i was in and out in less than 30 minutes--works for me!