Contributor

Re: Hormones after Hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy almost 20 years ago. I have been on hormones since, but I do a balance of estradiol and progesterone that Is custom compounded for me. It is a cream and I think between the two I pay about $60/month. Compounded hormones have never been covered by insurance (for me), but I would rather use the bioidentical form rather than the synthetic.

Super Contributor

I had a complete about 15 years ago at 45, and tapered myself off Premarin when the reports of heart attack came out. I did it slowly over about three months. I only took it about 2 years.
Honored Contributor

I was on Premarin for some 30 yrs after my hysterectomy. It was really wonderful. I had to be taken off because of other medical problems that might have caused cancer, so I was taken off cold turkey. that was in 2006.

Insomina, depression, up-down episodes. I have had to learn to live with this. I try to have good days, sometimes it works other times not so good.

I would love to go back on the hormones, I was so much better on hormones, but if I do go back on hormones I have a high chance of cancer, so it is go with or go without. I chose go without.

Regular Contributor

I had a total hysterectomy almost six years ago and took nothing....but was recently put on premarin cream due to dryness. The cost here with my insurance was close to $200! I get some of my RX from Canada Pharmacy and was able to get this through them as well. You may want to check into this. You will need a prescription from your physician. I can now get three slightly smaller tubes from the same manufacturer for around $55.

Honored Contributor

If you had a total hysterectomy, you only need estrogen. I used a patch called Vivelle Dot. It's half the size of regular patch which is nice. I was on it for quite a few years and one day decided it was time to stop & I had a few problems which stopped in a few days. I know what you mean about insurance costs - ridiculous is one word to use.

kindness is strength
Contributor

You do realize what premarin is made from? There are many (better) alternatives that don't involve abuse of horses.

Regular Contributor

After complete hysterectomy in 91 I've used the patch Vivelle dot. Love it

Super Contributor

My hyst was in '08 and I've been on the generic called estradiol for years now. I get it at Walmart - costs $10 for a 90-day supply. Seeing what some of you ladies pay, I couldn't be happier!!

Super Contributor

I think the insurance companies are trying to make it financially impossible for us to be on hormones. My Combipatch went WAY up to unaffordable and all my symptoms are back.

Super Contributor

On 3/18/2014 NOMEAT said:

You do realize what premarin is made from? There are many (better) alternatives that don't involve abuse of horses.

Why don't you regale us with them?