Regular Contributor

Re: Hormones after Hysterectomy

On 3/19/2014 happy housewife said:You do realize this is ESTROGEN ? And is significantly increasing your risk for breast cancer and pulmonary emboli????

Super Contributor

Had a total hysterectomy in 2010 at the age of 52, been in the Vivelle dot the lowest dose and it has been great. No issues and feel so good. The patch has been no trouble, you use 2 a week. My dr. feels this is a safe method so maybe a chat with your dr.

Nancy from MA

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2014 reiki604 said: For those who advocate a natural way of dealing with menopause is to do nothing. You are supposed to go through it as the natural cycle of life.

A hysterectomy is NOT a normal menopause & there's nothing "natural" about, particularly for a woman who isn't yet of menopausal age. If you go from having regular periods to having your uterus & ovaries surgically removed, it can really throw you for a big loop, physically, mentally & emotionally. With a normal menopause, as you age, your body gradually reduces the amount of circulating hormones over time as you age, which is not so, with a hysterectomy.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2014 aubnwa01 said:
On 3/19/2014 reiki604 said: For those who advocate a natural way of dealing with menopause is to do nothing. You are supposed to go through it as the natural cycle of life.

A hysterectomy is NOT a normal menopause & there's nothing "natural" about, particularly for a woman who isn't yet of menopausal age. If you go from having regular periods to having your uterus & ovaries surgically removed, it can really throw you for a big loop, physically, mentally & emotionally. With a normal menopause, as you age, your body gradually reduces the amount of circulating hormones over time as you age, which is not so, with a hysterectomy.

Was there anything in my post that referred to women who had hysterectomies? No.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

On 3/18/2014 nafecar said:

teainlondon I have been on the lowest dose of Premarin for 37yrs after my Histo. I have tried many times to wean off but the night sweats,hot flashes and terrible mood swings and other unmentionables are unbearable so I go back on them I have to pay 70.00 for a three months supply with my ins (which in itself is very high,) but it is worth keeping my sanity to me.

nafecar, I am right there with you. Ladies who can quit cold turkey or take an OTC are lucky. Other things don't work for me. So you and I and many others are in this together. Stay well.

tea

Honored Contributor

I was on Premarin for many years and the price went up and up ..... my gyno now has me on Estradiol, and it's great ... and cheap.

I think every woman needs to discuss her situation with her MD and evaluate the information. There are a lot of nuts out there that want you to think if you take a low dose HRT you're gonna die any day now. Don't believe them. Think for yourself.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2014 reiki604 said:
On 3/19/2014 aubnwa01 said:

Was there anything in my post that referred to women who had hysterectomies? No.

No, but the OP who started this thread stated she had had a total hysterectomy.

Respected Contributor

I took premarin for approx. 8-9 years after a total hysterectomy, too and in 2007 was diagnosed with breast cancer. I can only say I wish I had never heard of premarin because did it cause my diagnosis of cancer? I'll never know but I suspect so.

Super Contributor

On 3/19/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:

I guess I'm kind of dumb in this regard, or I've just been lucky....but do you only have to take HRT if you had a hysterectomy? I never had one, just went through menopause late in life. I turned 61 two months ago and I had my periods until age 58. Never had that first hot flash or anything wrong. Other than irritability but I've been irritable and a B~~~~ since my 30's so that's nothing new. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

I haven't had a hysterectomy and I'm 51---I've been having awful menopause for about 5 years now, drenching sweats (having to leave places because my shirt is wet), severe insomnia, blah blah. I toughed it out and I finally decided if I had to feel like that every day I might kill myself, so I went to my GYN, who prescribed Combipatch for me. Took care of all those symptoms within a week.

It would do no good for me to avoid HRT because of the off-chance I might get breast cancer, because the quality of my life was extremely low before HRT.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your input. To answer some of your questions, I am 48. When I was first put on premarin, the doctor that put me on it told me there was a lot of opinions on taking hormones but the research she read indicated that the good outweighed the bad (which there are benefits for taking them but there is also research that links it to cancer). This same doctor then changed her medical opinion after becoming more of an advocate of bioidentical. She switched me to some cream I had to apply to my inner thighs and I hated it. I went back on my premarin and was back to feeling normal. I have now moved to another state and only have a GP and that one has since left the practice so I guess I will have yet a new one. I am interested in finding out more of the Vivelle dot and estradiol. Everyone is different and for me, I still need a supplement. Insomnia and overall feeling of being out of sorts is not something I want to wing it. I take good care of myself and get mammograms annually and do self checks as I know that is one risk. As I am finishing my month's supply of premarin at $3 a pill, I will be looking in to some the info you all have given me.