Regular Contributor

Re: Hormones after Hysterectomy

Hi. It is nice to know I am not alone in this struggle.At about 48 I started having anxiety and insomnia.I do not like to take any kind of medication but when I started having attacks of depression I had to do something.I now take a small dose of Effexor, 1 tab of estroven(the one with magnolia bark) and use otc progesterone cream at night.

The hot flashes and depression are pretty much gone.The anxiety is greatly reduced.I am still having insomnia issues but they are not as bad. I was lucky to find a psych nurse practioner and this is the method she uses for herself.

I have not had a histo but am 2 yrs post menopause.I do not think most people understand how difficult this can be.

Respected Contributor

On 3/20/2014 DJ in FL said:

Thank you for your input. To answer some of your questions, I am 48. When I was first put on premarin, the doctor that put me on it told me there was a lot of opinions on taking hormones but the research she read indicated that the good outweighed the bad (which there are benefits for taking them but there is also research that links it to cancer). This same doctor then changed her medical opinion after becoming more of an advocate of bioidentical. She switched me to some cream I had to apply to my inner thighs and I hated it. I went back on my premarin and was back to feeling normal. I have now moved to another state and only have a GP and that one has since left the practice so I guess I will have yet a new one. I am interested in finding out more of the Vivelle dot and estradiol. Everyone is different and for me, I still need a supplement. Insomnia and overall feeling of being out of sorts is not something I want to wing it. I take good care of myself and get mammograms annually and do self checks as I know that is one risk. As I am finishing my month's supply of premarin at $3 a pill, I will be looking in to some the info you all have given me.

The vivelle dot is excellent. It works well and stays on your body. There is nothing worse than wasting money on a patch that won't stay on. BTW, an least one poster mentioned they used a generic estradiol patch. It must be working for her, but many people experience the generic patches won't stay on, I know this bc I used to be a certified pharm tech. Lots of patients returning them in order to pay for brand instead. There is also an estradiol foam, like a mousse that you rub on your upper arm, I think they still produce it. In addition, check out Estring. It is an intrvaginal soft ring you insert every three months. You can pull it out of your own and insert a new one. It works marvelously and also addresses dryness issues. The only reason it might. Not work is if you find due to your arm length or hand size you need to go to the doctor every three months and find it a hassle. I think it is the best thing I have used since my hyster.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Trusted Contributor

On 3/18/2014 dionline said:

My hyst was in '08 and I've been on the generic called estradiol for years now. I get it at Walmart - costs $10 for a 90-day supply. Seeing what some of you ladies pay, I couldn't be happier!!

Had my hysterectomy in Feb. 1999 and been on Estradiol-2mg per day (which is generic form of Estrace), and also couldn't be happier. A 90 day supply with my mail-in pharmacy through my work is $10.10.

Honored Contributor

Ladies, please also consider this .........

About ten years ago I was working as an insurance agent, enrolling employees in a hospital. Since the employees were having trouble getting away from their departments, we were assigned to sit in the departments to make it easier to help with their enrollment process.

I enrolled the Director of the Breast Ultrasound Department and she told me that LESS THAN TEN PERCENT of the women diagnosed with breast cancer showed a hereditary link. She also said that the number that had been taking HRT was quite low .....

All I'm saying is that there ARE other factors .... and sometimes it's the inexplicable roll of the dice. LOTS of women take HRT and never develop cancer of any type!

Respected Contributor

I think insurance companies have put a scare tactic on women that estrogen can cause cancer. 

Millions of women take estrogen.  It's costing them (insurance) big bucks and it's expensive.    

Bottom line:  The insurance companies want to save money and their tactics have worked.  

Trusted Contributor

@okBlonde. Some older past menopausal women use prescription vag. Premarin cream due to painful se?, the walls of Virginia thin with age. It helps with hot flames too.

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@okBlonde. Some older past menopausal women use prescription vag. Premarin cream due to painful se?, the walls of Virginia thin with age. It helps with hot flames too.

Not sure why this old thread got resurrected but "the walls of Virginia thin with age" and "it helps with hot flames" really made me chuckle.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GigiDana,  I had a complete hysterectomy and you only need to take estrogen.  Have your doctor give you a prescription for generic estrogen.  I actually was on the Vivelle dot patch but that may be expensive.  Ask your pharmacy about prices with your insurance for generic estrogen and the patch.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Just had my auto-refill of premarin shipped and this 90 day supply was almost $430 dollars.  This will be my LAST!  Something I had paid $30 a month to now this is unexceptable and it seemed to skyrocket when ACA began.  I will definitely look into this.  Hadn't visited this topic since 2014 and was suprised to see it back.  Thanks for KatCat1 for the suggestion!

Honored Contributor

@GigiDana wrote:

Ok ladies, I am looking for opinions. It has been over 8 years since I had my hysterectomy and have been happy on Premarin since the surgery. Two weeks ago, I went to get it refilled and due to changes in my insurance....my prescription went from $25 to $93 for a 30 day supply. {#emotions_dlg.scared} I have tried to just wing it and go without but I am no doubt feeling the effects. Insomnia is kicking in and today I just feel like I have unexplained anxiety. This is totally not the normal me. Is there anything effective OTC that others are using?? I have had a complete hysterectomy so there is nothing making any hormones. I also have a bad thyroid to boot. Any suggestions??

@GigiDana

Since you need a prescription, why aren't you discussing this with your gyno?    There are plenty of generics that meet your needs.