Valued Contributor

I used Philosophy's Hope in a Jar for many years until I could not find it at Ulta and on Philosophy.com.  QVC sold a giant jar but I thought it would spoil before I could use it up.  I saw this today; how does it compare to the original?

philosophy super-size hope in a jar multi-tasking moisturizer 4oz - QVC.com

Super Contributor

@Wobin 

Hi, so glad you posted this.  I purchased this product quite a while ago, at least several years. Used it maybe twice and forgot about it until a few days ago when I was cleaning out my linen closet and vanity drawers where it was stored. There is no expiration date on the jar. Would you or anyone reading this know the duration of shelf it may have?  My inclination is to discard it but it appears okay and doesn't have a funny smell.Thanks in advance. 

Honored Contributor

If you email Phil CS the code on the jar, probably stamped on the bottom, they can tell you how old it is and if it should be tossed. My personal rule of thumb is if it smells fine, color has not changed and consistancy not changed, I usually use it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hope in a Jar

[ Edited ]

Creams and lotions are good for around 2 to 3 years unopened and that depends on how they are stored, for instance, if they have been in a cool, dark place or not. Then after opened they're usually good for about a year again depending on how they were stored. Do a visual check for color change, separation into layers and also a sniff test to check for any funny odors. If everything seems fine then use it, regardless of the age of the product up to a certain point. I would have to say 5 years tops.

It's best to store unused large containers of products in the fridge and just take a small amount and put some in a small jar or bottle to use on day to day basis. Refrigeration prolongs the shelf-life of almost all skincare products and without harming them.

Respected Contributor

I don't know the expiration date for this but many years ago I fell for the hype and bought a jar. The smell was horrendous. Could not use it.  There were many reviews on this product that discussed the smell. It could have been a miracle cream but if the smell was as awful as I remember it was an easy toss. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Creams and lotions are good for around 2 to 3 years unopened and that depends on how they are stored, for instance, if they have been in a cool, dark place or not. Then after opened they're usually good for about a year again depending on how they were stored. Do a visual check for color change, separation into layers and also a sniff test to check for any funny odors. If everything seems fine then use it, regardless of the age of the product up to a certain point. I would have to say 5 years tops.

It's best to store unused large containers of products in the fridge and just take a small amount and put some in a small jar or bottle to use on day to day basis. Refrigeration prolongs the shelf-life of almost all skincare products and without harming them.

@SilleeMee   Would you say that it is okay to refrigerate oils also?  I have been doing it for quite a while and not noticed a difference, however I wonder if it alters it in any way.  TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   Would you say that it is okay to refrigerate oils also?  I have been doing it for quite a while and not noticed a difference, however I wonder if it alters it in any way.  TIA

@tends2dogs

Yes! Oils especially will benefit from refrigeration and w/o harm to them. Just bring them up to room temp before applying.

Trusted Contributor

I'll be interested to see reviews on this new/reformulated version of HIAJ. This is what the philosophy website lists:

WHAT IT DOES

our new hope in a jar multitasking moisturizer is clinically proven to treat dehydrated skin,*** uneven texture, wrinkles and dullness.** this face moisturizer is powered by enhanced hyaluronic acid from biotechnology to deeply hydrate, 2% high-purity glycolic acid to promote skin surface cell renewal and our exclusive radiance complex, featuring pro-vitamin p and responsibly sourced, upcycled tangerine peel extract for a healthy glow. this supercharged, vegan, eco- and dermo-responsible*formula delivers instant and long-term visible results, while respecting the skin’s natural functions. formulated without: Phthalates, BHT, Phenoxyethanol

Super Contributor

Thank you to all who replied.  I've decided to throw it away.  If I remember, it was too harsh on my skin which is why I never used it again.  It did have a "chemical" smell but nothing stomach-turning.  

Valued Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

I'll be interested to see reviews on this new/reformulated version of HIAJ. This is what the philosophy website lists:

WHAT IT DOES

our new hope in a jar multitasking moisturizer is clinically proven to treat dehydrated skin,*** uneven texture, wrinkles and dullness.** this face moisturizer is powered by enhanced hyaluronic acid from biotechnology to deeply hydrate, 2% high-purity glycolic acid to promote skin surface cell renewal and our exclusive radiance complex, featuring pro-vitamin p and responsibly sourced, upcycled tangerine peel extract for a healthy glow. this supercharged, vegan, eco- and dermo-responsible*formula delivers instant and long-term visible results, while respecting the skin’s natural functions. formulated without: Phthalates, BHT, Phenoxyethanol

Thanks for posting this.  At least I know what Philosophy intends it to do. Like you I was hoping to hear from people who are using the new product and could compare it to the original.