Honored Contributor

Re: Homemade make-up pads using coconut oil

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

I was just going to start a thread asking about Coconut Oil as a deep moisturizing mask for the hair?...Has anyone done this and, if so, please share how you applied and your opinions.

OP, I hope you don't mind my asking this on your thread, since it still has to do with Coconut Oil.

Thanks so much!

@MyShadowLove I've used coconut oil on my hair as a deep conditioner since I was little (my mom used it on my first, of course, lol). If it is in its' solid state, I grab a little, warm it up in my hand or in the microwave (I prefer my hand) and apply on my DRY (not wet) hair because it penetrates the hair better when the hair is dry. I concentrate it on the ends, keeping it away from scalp. Then I leave it as long as I can (often overnight) and then cleanse my hair in the morning. You only need a little coconut oil- a little goes a long way HTH!

I put it on my scalp. Why don't you put it on your scalp? It's suppose to be good for your scalp. I have also used it on dry hair but wet was easier. Using it warm should help open the hair follicles or that's what I thought?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

I was just going to start a thread asking about Coconut Oil as a deep moisturizing mask for the hair?...Has anyone done this and, if so, please share how you applied and your opinions.

OP, I hope you don't mind my asking this on your thread, since it still has to do with Coconut Oil.

Thanks so much!

@MyShadowLove I've used coconut oil on my hair as a deep conditioner since I was little (my mom used it on my first, of course, lol). If it is in its' solid state, I grab a little, warm it up in my hand or in the microwave (I prefer my hand) and apply on my DRY (not wet) hair because it penetrates the hair better when the hair is dry. I concentrate it on the ends, keeping it away from scalp. Then I leave it as long as I can (often overnight) and then cleanse my hair in the morning. You only need a little coconut oil- a little goes a long way HTH!

I put it on my scalp. Why don't you put it on your scalp? It's suppose to be good for your scalp. I have also used it on dry hair but wet was easier. Using it warm should help open the hair follicles or that's what I thought?

Because it is high on the comedogenic scale and I don't want to risk getting pimples on my scalp and I dont have any issue with dry scalp so there is no need for me to use an oil on my scalp. Coconut oil works best on dry hair because it can penetrate better and more thoroughly- water repels oil and this can prevent the oil from penetrating (or not penetrating as well).

Super Contributor

Tinkrbl44 not to save money but control what i use on my eyes to remove make-up.  I did google "Homemade make-up pads", but I thought if there was someone already making their own I would get some in-put.  I did contact Mad Hippie about adding some drops of their Antioxidant Facial Oil to the coconut oil and water mixture.  Just trying to build a better mouse trap with what I already have.