Super Contributor

This year I wanted to make some homemade body butters for Christmas gifts with healthy organic ingredients and essential oils. I have beel looking at different recipies and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions from experiences. I watched the Farm House on Boone video and she had a great ideas for DYI giftbaskets. I have several friends and family members that like organic holistic products. My favorite products are Shea Organics but they get pricey for a long gift list.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

I've looked into it but never have decided to try.

Do you have a good source for empty jars?

Everyone seems to have the same idea around the holidays, jar choices & availability were scarce.    

If it were me, I'd take the plunge but have a back up gift, just in case.

@RhondaRena wrote:

This year I wanted to make some homemade body butters for Christmas gifts with healthy organic ingredients and essential oils. I have beel looking at different recipies and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions from experiences. I watched the Farm House on Boone video and she had a great ideas for DYI giftbaskets. I have several friends and family members that like organic holistic products. My favorite products are Shea Organics but they get pricey for a long gift list.

Honored Contributor

I buy some of my ingredients from Lotioncrafter dot com. They offer a butter kit there...look there for Body Butter Bliss Kit.

Valued Contributor

I use shea butter, coconut butter (refined so it doesn't smell like coconut, and olive oil. Use what ever essential oil you like. Put in a blender (I use my ninja) and blend until creamy.

I store mine in wide mouth mason jars. 

Super easy and makes great gifts. 

Super Contributor

Thank you for the wonderful ideas. I am loking at small mason jars I saw at our local Wal

Mart. I think I am going to try some pepermint first and have fun experimenting on myself first. I ordered organic Fair Trade shea and cocoa buter from Amazon. I purchased Olive Oil and Coconut Oil from Aldi. I have a good selection of Essential Oils on hand.

Floral Pillow
Esteemed Contributor

Waay back  20-plus years ago, I made most of my own bath and body products.  It was a fun (but expensive!) hobby for a while and soaps and lotions made excellent gifts for the holidays and birthdays -- so I love your idea.   Back then I found most of my containers, molds, and basic ingredients at Hobby Lobby.  Our HL still has an entire aisle of homemade bath and body ingredients, including instruction pamphlets and recipes.  The Internet wasn't all that available back then, but I did find some oils and fragrances thru Internet searches.

Before you go Googling everything, you might just take a stroll down the bath and body aisle at your Hobby Lobby for ideas.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt