Esteemed Contributor

Re: Holiday Tipping At The Salon

If I need a cut around the holidays, I usually double my tip, which is quite a bit of money (pricey salon).  If I don't need a cut in Dec or Jan I just skip the holiday tip.  I see some customers bring gifts.

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:
@Jordan2 I think that sounds very generous of you. I agree with others; you should just give whatever you like. (I, for example, do not give my hairdresser anything extra for x-mas)

I agree.  My hairdresser should be giving me a gift.  I tip her 20% every 5 weeks.  She’s lucky I’m her customer. 

Sheesh, what a crappy attitude.  

Honored Contributor

A relative of mine cuts my hair. She does it in a salon but because she's a relative and I get her a x-mas gift, I don't tip her anymore than I do on a normal visit. 

I do get my nails done but I only give her a larger tip if I'm in the salon right around the holiday.  This year I won't be.  I went through the calendar last night and I will be due to get my nails done the 13th of December then not again until right after the new year.   

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I know this subject has been discussed before, but it's getting to be that time of year. I have been going to a new beauty salon this year, I have gone about four times. I give the woman who washes my hair (she does one washing with hair dye) $5. My haircut, dye, and blowout is $88 and I give a $20 tip. I was wondering if $25 for the woman who shampoos my hair and $50 for the woman who cuts and colors my hair is a good tip?

@Jordan2  That’s always a tough question. I’m lucky that one stylist now does my hair start to finish. The salon I left had a different person for washing, one for dying & cutting & another who finished w/ the blowout. I was tipping all over the place and even in my small town, a $80 cut and $180 if cut and color before all the tipping was ridiculous and the reason I left. I finally ended up tipping the one who did color/cut 20% and asked her to share it w/ her “assistants” however she felt was fair. 

The main stylist could have done the job start to finish if not trying to squeeze in 5 other customers a day. I didn’t feel that should be at my expense.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, I give many of you credit for such generous tips during the holidays.  I give 20% tips all year long to my colorist and stylist  and, therefore,  don't feel obligated to give them more during the holidays.  My hair stylist gives me a free haircut usually on holidays to thank me for my business. 

Honored Contributor

My shop is a small operation.  Her prices are very low.  I tip her generously all year long, but I'll tip extra at Christmas, along with a little gift.  I also tip her husband, since he always turns my car around in their tiny parking lot so that I can get out more easily.  And they're great people.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I'll be giving my stylist a sizeable tip for Christmas! And yes she is the owner of the salon also. I just don't understand those who say they don't tip their stylist if she owns her salon. She performs a service on y hair so, yes, I'll happily tip her! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I tip all the time when I go, generally 20% as most seem to do.   They do however want their tips in cash, they will not process them on a credit card or in a check.  You know what I mean by this, they're taking it under the table and making out like bandits........meanwhile we are paying high fees for services.  JMO.  So I don't give extra at the holdiays.

Super Contributor

I tip the girl who does my hair all year for Xmas but each time I go there is a different shampoo person.  So that person only gets $5 each time... I think that is more than enough since the shampoo is quick and the scalp massage that is part of the package is less than a minute...Told the owner that the scalp massages were bad and she was supposed to take care of it - did not....They rush you out and this place is big bucks...My girl will be on maternity leave for two months and I will have someone else in her place - might be a better cut and color - see how this goes...Don't want to dump her but sometime change is better and for the best...

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I know this subject has been discussed before, but it's getting to be that time of year. I have been going to a new beauty salon this year, I have gone about four times. I give the woman who washes my hair (she does one washing with hair dye) $5. My haircut, dye, and blowout is $88 and I give a $20 tip. I was wondering if $25 for the woman who shampoos my hair and $50 for the woman who cuts and colors my hair is a good tip?

@Jordan2  That’s always a tough question. I’m lucky that one stylist now does my hair start to finish. The salon I left had a different person for washing, one for dying & cutting & another who finished w/ the blowout. I was tipping all over the place and even in my small town, a $80 cut and $180 if cut and color before all the tipping was ridiculous and the reason I left. I finally ended up tipping the one who did color/cut 20% and asked her to share it w/ her “assistants” however she felt was fair. 

The main stylist could have done the job start to finish if not trying to squeeze in 5 other customers a day. I didn’t feel that should be at my expense.

@Shanus, the salon I go to isn't fancy so I only have to pay my stylist and the woman who shampoos my hair. It must be tough knowing what to tip when different people do your hair. I feel tipping gives me good service in future appointments, and I do like the staff.