Honored Contributor

Holiday Beauty Blockbusters; do you purchase them?

[ Edited ]

I remember back in the 80's ALWAYS purchasing my mom Private Collection by Estee Lauder and the Estee Lauder Blockbuster (it was with a fragrance purchase back then). She loved it and looked forward to it each year (she was an Estee Lauder everything).

One Auntie was the same but with Elizabeth Arden (had a standing appointment at the Red Door near her home).

I purchase the one from Lancome each year and have since the late 80's.  I think if you use the products, it's a GREAT deal. For those just starting out with makeup or someone who want's to be a freelance makeup artist, they are a great way to build up their kits.

Anyone else?

Respected Contributor

Re: Holiday Beauty Blockbusters; do you purchase them?

I have only recently started purchasing them.  Last year I got both the Estee Lauder and the Lancome.  This year I think I will just buy the Lancome.  Yes, it can really be a great value if it is items you use.  I had only used one Lancome product prior to purchasing last year, now I am hooked on a few, so it really is a good way to try out a makeup brand.  

Honored Contributor

Actually, I never have; however, I am not against it.  I have so many lipsticks, powders, tinted moisturizer that I don't need a kit.  Have fun with yours.  I did stock up recently on makeup and fragrance when Laura Mercier sent me a 25% off discount.  I bought hand creams, butters, fragrance, etc. so I don't need any more right now.  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

When I was younger, yes, but these days I am so picky with what I buy and I honestly feel like the quality of the eyeshadows in many of these beauty blockbusters aren't as good as the regular stuff by the same brand.

Esteemed Contributor

I never buy beauty blockbusters and I've never bought a holiday one from Estee Lauder, Lancome, or any other department store brand. I bought an IT Cosmetics one about 4 years ago but seldom used it.

While these kits always look nice I don't use enough of it to make it worth my while. I've been paring down what I use and getting rid of what I don't use or don't like so I'm limiting my eyeshadows and blushes and bronzers to what I like and that means individual purchases.

I do agree that those beauty kits are always gorgeously packaged and are eye catching when in the stores.

Honored Contributor

No, I never have.  I don't really have a need for anything like that. 

Between the drugstore and Avon ... I'm all set.  I don't have any issues where I need any special products.

Frequent Contributor

I have never bought any before, but I couldn't resist the Lancome one this year. It is truly an amazing deal. 11 full-size items and a travel size serum.  And the train case (and a smaller makeup bag) is BEAUTIFUL!  I calculated the value, all MSRP, including the outrageously priced brushes,  and it came up to $360.

It  is a purchase with purchase for $59.50, so I bought a rollerball perfume as my purchase.  You get your choice between the cool toned or warm toned set. There is a coupon code AUTUMN that gave me a small eyeshadow palette, blush, eyeliner, juicy tube, and face primer, plus I pick the toner as my one free sample.

Honored Contributor

I used to buy the EL blockbuster all the time or I'd receive it as a x-mas gift.  Now I cannot tell you the last time I bought one.

I quit buying them myself or asking for them when I realized that 1) the colors, especially lip colors, were always the same from year to year and often the same colors as were offered in GWP through the year and 2) I realized I wasn't using more of the items than I was using.

Now I buy what I will use.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

When I was younger, yes, but these days I am so picky with what I buy and I honestly feel like the quality of the eyeshadows in many of these beauty blockbusters aren't as good as the regular stuff by the same brand.

I found out years ago that at least in the case of the one offered by Elizabth Arden, they weren't really EA products in the blockbuster.  They were cheaper items made just for that kit by someone else.  The SA told me that.  That got me wondering about all the kits.

I remember when Tarte did a blockbuster on QVC and many who bought it said the quaity wasn't the same.   

Honored Contributor

Not sure I know what a beauty blockbuster is. Is it the bag full of stuff with a purchase of $500 at the dept stores? Just kidding. No I don't fall for those. I am in the process of getting rid of way too many make up items I don't use anymore.