Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Hoda is not an average mother or housewife.  She's a celebrity who makes her living on national TV.  It's quite a shock to see her looking so ordinary.  You'd think she'd want to maintain her image, especially since she's approaching the age where TV execs start to question her relevancy and ability to relate to a younger audience.

Celebrities walk around all the time without makeup. Half the time you wouldn't even know you passed them. HKs relevancy is hardly dependent on makeup. A younger audience doesn't click or not click with her due to makeup. And, no amount of makeup will change the fact that she's aging-- like the rest of us. Her relevancy is dependent upon her character and relatabilty.

Also, some of us don't equate wearing makeup with taking pride in ourselves or our self-worth. We're not that shallow.

Do you think when you die you'll be remembered for your makeup? If you are, well -- what does that say about your life?

ETA

FTR-- I don't care one way or the other about HK. I don't watch the show. My comments pertain to and about anyone. 

Honored Contributor

People B&M celebrities are ‘special’ & use makeup and wear false eyelashes while going to the gym HOW DARE THEY!!!

....then......

People B&M celebrities are ‘ordinary’ & use NO makeup and looking

so ‘bedraggled’ while going on social media HOW DARE THEY!!

🤷‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

Hoda is on maternity leave.  She's living a different kind of life now, and good for her!  I far prefer someone who isn't overly concerned with image and with what other people think of her.  She is one of the warmest, most wonderful people I have ever worked with.  Totally down-to-earth, easy to talk to, and she puts others at ease because she's as genuinely kind and real as a person could possibly be.  That's why she's been so successful - not because of how she looks after hair & makeup.

I couldn't care less if she - or anyone - wears minimal or no makeup.  She's enormously happy right now with her new baby, and her priorities are exactly what they should be.

Esteemed Contributor

Hoda's maternity leave seems endless. I assumed that she would return when Jenna had her baby. The show with both hosts gone seems useless to me.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls , I was thinking the same thing.  She left in April, so she is way past the 6 weeks most people get.  At one point I saw an article that said she was expected back middle of July, but that has come and gone.

Honored Contributor

She's just living her life in reverse. I remember when she was a serious journalist, my first thought when she came to Today was someone has lost their mind.  But she has the most sparkling personality of anyone who has ever been in that job  I really enjoy her.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

Hoda is on maternity leave.  She's living a different kind of life now, and good for her!  I far prefer someone who isn't overly concerned with image and with what other people think of her.  She is one of the warmest, most wonderful people I have ever worked with.  Totally down-to-earth, easy to talk to, and she puts others at ease because she's as genuinely kind and real as a person could possibly be.  That's why she's been so successful - not because of how she looks after hair & makeup.

I couldn't care less if she - or anyone - wears minimal or no makeup.  She's enormously happy right now with her new baby, and her priorities are exactly what they should be.

@NYC Susan :  I agree with you, althought I don't  know her personally.  I really wish she would go "solo" for her last hour of the show.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal Yes, Shawn has mentioned several times about not taking a bath/shower every day.  When she first got Jagger she posted she hadn't had time to shower in a few days.  Her DH was home (or wherever they were at the time) and babies do sleep a lot during the day.  It's her business I guess, but no need to tell everyone by posting.  TMI

Trusted Contributor

She's on the longest maternity leave I've ever seen. When is she returning?

Honored Contributor

Hoda has small children?   I thought she was about 65.