Respected Contributor

Re: Highlights too heavy and growth looks awful

"Beigey cool tones"  are created by an a violet based ash toner.  Toner will wash out, maybe she should use a a violet based demi-perm to tone... may get a month using demi.

i have always lightened and then toned. i had bayalage highlights once at Aveda and she didn't do toner, my lightened hair was daffodil yellow looked dreadful. she was kind of a jerk about toning it after  i texted her a few days later.  i just decided not to push it and waited a week or so and toned the yellow myself w demi-perm.

Honored Contributor

I just wonder why you continue to have her color your hair.  You say you never get the results you want, not even close.  Yet, you keep letting her do the color.

Respected Contributor

@Theresa1121 wrote:

Love how my hairdress cuts my hair as very thick and needs tapering and layering to keep it under control. I have never been happy with the highlights she does. I have dark brown hair and ask for cool/beigy highlights and it always turns out as brassy and yellow. She uses toner and it is almost ok, but after a few washings I feel it looks like the color of straw and makes it look dry. Because of how heavy she paints with the foil, the root growth is an obvious dark stripe. Last time just had a cut, and she said we will do low lights next time.

Why does it come up so brassy? I do use the purple shampoo which helps a bit but so drying to my hair. Never had a stylist depend on the toner to get it the right color. Love how she cuts, as their are few that could ever tame this thick slighly wavy hair but so disappointed in the color. I have little gray so don't need a double processing but feel I need an all over color to correct this.

Ideas and input appreciated.

Have you tried finding a photo of the color of highlights you want and take it to her/him?  That's what I do and it comes out a perfect match. 

It's hard to explain what color I want, but taking a photo works for me.  

I've found photos online of a person with highlights and lowlights exactly what I want.  Print it or send to your cell phone and show your hairdresser. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate , from tinker1121's description, it sounds like her stylist has observed and practiced the 'how-to' of highlighting, without learning the 'why'.

If she doesn't know the stages when lifting color, she shouldn't be doing it, period.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like she is not lifting the color enough thus the brassy look.  Try someone else for color.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Theresa1121   No, not all highlights require a toner.  If you are brunette and want red highlights, you would not need a toner.

If you have light to medium brown hair, you might not need a toner for blonde highlights.

if you have dark brown and want beige highlights, you will need to bleach to pale blonde, then apply a toner with a blue/ purple base.  It sounds like you are looking for cool color highlights and you're getting warm brassy ones.

That brassy color is not a good look on anyone.  We always called it prostitute yellow when I was in beauty school.  I remember the teachers telling us to always remove enough color and not stop at the prostitute yellow stage.  It is a difficult color to work with.  You might want to get a bottle of Roux Fanciful Color rinse.  It washes out after every shampoo, but it will tone down the brass temporary until you get it redone. Try Bashful Blonde...it's a beige blonde color. 

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Theresa1121   No, not all highlights require a toner.  If you are brunette and want red highlights, you would not need a toner.

If you have light to medium brown hair, you might not need a toner for blonde highlights.

if you have dark brown and want beige highlights, you will need to bleach to pale blonde, then apply a toner with a blue/ purple base.  It sounds like you are looking for cool color highlights and you're getting warm brassy ones.

That brassy color is not a good look on anyone.  We always called it prostitute yellow when I was in beauty school.  I remember the teachers telling us to always remove enough color and not stop at the prostitute yellow stage.  It is a difficult color to work with.  You might want to get a bottle of Roux Fanciful Color rinse.  It washes out after every shampoo, but it will tone down the brass temporary until you get it redone. Try Bashful Blonde...it's a beige blonde color. 

Thank you so much, I will try the color rinse.Wish you could fix this as sounds as if you are experience and good at what you do!

I showed her several pictures of the color and the cut but know she didn't leave it on long enough. LOL, I am not prostitute yellow but harsh brassy and feel like a high school kid who let her friend do her hair!

Valued Contributor

I have highlights and I use Kerastase Blonde Absolut and Oribe Blonde SHampoo.  They both help with brassiness.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi -- I haven't read all the answers yet but want to give you ONE tip:

Install a Filter on your shower head.  Your tap/regular water might be one culprit damaging your color and overall hair & skin.  Especially the nasty Chlorine.  Remember that the Salons use filtered or soft water to enhance the results of their 'work'.  (don't come after me, Hairdressers! I know you've trained and worked hard....usually).

In my own experience the day I installed a Shower Water Filter my hair (and skin) was BETTER.  It took a year to repair most of the damage (or trim it off as it grew out) and I stopped most of the highlighting.  Now after 15+ years my 'dirty' blonde/graying hair is long, full, healthy, curls are back, I trim it myself (dry), and avoid all damaging treatments ESPECIALLY the Hair Salon!

I've had too many disasters even with my regular hairdressers! Now I spend money on the best shampoo, moisturizers and post-shampoo/styling products.  No hairsprays or heat except a little low-heat from a good dryer at the finish == no blowouts or tools (I leave it alone after I add 2-3 gentle products).  I was born with good hair, and I think most of us were.  Now I look at photos of me when I was a salon regular and I can't believe how awful my hair looked (and was).  And -- I'd grown to HATE sitting in the salon for 2-3 hours, not to mention the rising costs and finding new hairdressers.  But I was addicted --- that's the Big Dupe.

So --- maybe you're able to take back control of your own hair (even if it's 'willfull'!) and be happy with it?  Just a suggestion....say "NO" for a year and see if/how you can survive without the Salon Addiction.  I HIGHLY recommend it, it's one more thing I've stopped putting my body through.  I still take good care of my skin, use some makeup, natural fragrance, etc, I'm a die-hard girlie girl but I can't poison myself any longer.  Try the SHOWER FILTER first though, it will make a difference, I promise.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

My hair's very difficult to cut, so I appreciate your dilemma. I'd stay with the stylist for the cuts, but look for a separate colorist.

Meanwhile, Chaz Dean (WEN) finally came out with an indigo product for correcting brassyness. Being WEN, it isn't nearly as drying to hair as other choices on the market. 

Brassyness can develop from many things including your water, despite the best color.

A lot of us posted before & after photos in the following thread, from the WEN Bella Spirit Indigo product launch last Sept.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/WEN/Indigo-Chat/m-p/4902967#M60949

https://www.qvc.com/WEN-by-Chaz-Dean-Bella-Spirit-32oz-Cleansing-Conditioner-Duo.product.A346243.htm...

Thank you to all who suggested Bella Spirit Indigo!!! It really mellows out the brassiness with no drying and was the perfect solution. I am going to let he do lowlights at my next cut in 2 weeks and then I need to find someone who can color my hair and let her just cut it.