Honored Contributor

Like some others, in Ohio we also have to pay tax on the s/h charges.

Respected Contributor
On 8/1/2014 MandySays said:
On 8/1/2014 Shogirl said:

Yes, the tax charged is what your state tax is - mine is almost 10%. And, yes, I just ordered an item for $199 that had free S/H, but the tax was atrocious! You can get away from S/H charges, but unfortunately you can't get away from tax charges. Although, now that I think about it... there's a company that I order jewelry from and they never charge tax. You can bet I'm not complaining about that!!

I think that if the vendor has any kind of warehouse or anything in your own state, they have to do tax? I think since I live in NC and QVC has a warehouse in our state that is why I pay tax? But for Amazon (which doesn't have anything here in NC) I am never charged tax.

I live in NC. Amazon started charging S/T in February (or so) of this year. As you said, Amazon didn't charge S/T in the past but now they do. We stopped buying many items from them because with S/T, Amazon was no longer price competitive. Now, we only buy what we can't get here or what Amazon offers at a much lower price.

Super Contributor
On 8/1/2014 meezerpleezer said:
On 8/1/2014 MandySays said:
On 8/1/2014 Shogirl said:

Yes, the tax charged is what your state tax is - mine is almost 10%. And, yes, I just ordered an item for $199 that had free S/H, but the tax was atrocious! You can get away from S/H charges, but unfortunately you can't get away from tax charges. Although, now that I think about it... there's a company that I order jewelry from and they never charge tax. You can bet I'm not complaining about that!!

I think that if the vendor has any kind of warehouse or anything in your own state, they have to do tax? I think since I live in NC and QVC has a warehouse in our state that is why I pay tax? But for Amazon (which doesn't have anything here in NC) I am never charged tax.

I live in NC. Amazon started charging S/T in February (or so) of this year. As you said, Amazon didn't charge S/T in the past but now they do. We stopped buying many items from them because with S/T, Amazon was no longer price competitive. Now, we only buy what we can't get here or what Amazon offers at a much lower price.

That is strange. I just placed orders this past week and no tax fees for me in NC. I just looked back at my order details from last week:

Item(s) Subtotal: $21.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
-----
Total before tax: $21.99
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $21.99

Respected Contributor
On 8/1/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 8/1/2014 SeaGal said:

I refuse to pay the prices the Q wants anymore. Here in Wa. state tax is on the s&h also, at 9.5% {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Ever since the 50 in 50 Tour, never taxed before that...

The state sales tax is actually 6.5% then the King County tax is 3% for a total of 9.5. Yup, it's far from cheap living here. This is an interesting chart by city. Wahkiacus (Klickitat county) is 0.5% for a total sales tax of 7.0%. Man that would be nice!

Right 6.5 & 3.0 - I am surprised about Klickitat Co. except maybe because it is mainly reservation area? That would be sweet tho huh 7%, I just basically figure 10% into anything I buy! (sans food).

Blues are in town, I just saw then heard them fly by. Weather is going to be perfect for Seafair. Smile

Trusted Contributor

You DO know you can buy Philosophy products elsewhere, don't you? Check out Amazon.com. You can almost certainly get free shipping and handling through some of their sellers.

Respected Contributor

MandySays--I sure hope that you are correct and that my order was a fluke! I am going to check again. The last time I tried to place an order was March of this year.

In any event, this was the article that I read (or another like it) when I first noticed that Amazon was charging S/T:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/20/4626454/amazon-to-begin-collecting-sales.html#.U9v4hH7D...

Honored Contributor
Super Contributor
On 8/1/2014 meezerpleezer said:

MandySays--I sure hope that you are correct and that my order was a fluke! I am going to check again. The last time I tried to place an order was March of this year.

In any event, this was the article that I read (or another like it) when I first noticed that Amazon was charging S/T:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/20/4626454/amazon-to-begin-collecting-sales.html#.U9v4hH7D...

I looked back through my Amazon orders and you're right! When I purchased an item sold by "Amazon" there is tax..but the majority of my orders are through other vendors that Amazon works with and there are no taxes on any of those purchases. Interesting.

Respected Contributor

S & H is totally on QVC. What bugs me is the inconsistency. They will charge a relatively small amount on a very heavy object (like philosophy), then charge ridiculously high amounts on cosmetics that weigh next to nothing.

QVC isn't responsible for the tax charges. That is a state government issue.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor
On 8/1/2014 SeaGal said:
On 8/1/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 8/1/2014 SeaGal said:

I refuse to pay the prices the Q wants anymore. Here in Wa. state tax is on the s&h also, at 9.5% {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Ever since the 50 in 50 Tour, never taxed before that...

The state sales tax is actually 6.5% then the King County tax is 3% for a total of 9.5. Yup, it's far from cheap living here. This is an interesting chart by city. Wahkiacus (Klickitat county) is 0.5% for a total sales tax of 7.0%. Man that would be nice!

Right 6.5 & 3.0 - I am surprised about Klickitat Co. except maybe because it is mainly reservation area? That would be sweet tho huh 7%, I just basically figure 10% into anything I buy! (sans food).

Blues are in town, I just saw then heard them fly by. Weather is going to be perfect for Seafair. Smile

Even central washington is much cheaper. I could handle 7% much easier than what we pay.

I've heard a bunch of helicopters buzzing around but haven't seen the Blues yet. Usually I can. I used to work down by where they land and park. So cool waving to the pilots as they taxied on by.