Honored Contributor
On 5/17/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 5/17/2014 azterry! said:

"high end" is a very subjective term. You can pay $8.99, $24.00 or $50 for a mascara. How come no one ever talks about "middle end" here? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} That's probably where most of us fall.

I am making a presumption, based on the fact this is a Beauty Board to say that most of us who do post here are interested in the subject of beauty. With that presumption, I will also suggest that most of us try products across the spectrum and make our choices based on what works best. I will also suggest that most of us have a mix of "low" "middle" and "high" end products in our arsenal. I know I do.

This subject comes up regularly and I can't help but think it's just an excuse for a little self-righteous preaching.

We need an image with a hammer hitting a nail on the head because you sure did azterry.

Take your pic (k):

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
No, I am in credit card debt because of Nars, Laura Gellar, Bare esentials, Dooneys and coach
Trusted Contributor

Bottom line, don't we continue to buy whatever works? Personally, I think the so-called "high-end" brands are really over-rated and not worth the extra $$. I lean more toward the "in-between $$-wise" and drugstore brands. But I suppose if someone tries a really, really "high-end" somethingorother and thinks they get great results, they'll stick with it, and, if necessary, cut back on another item - and that's fine!

I'm a real mish-mash of costs and brands for skin, make-up, and hair. Love and regularly use items from Olay, Pantene, Paula's Choice, Maybelline, Cover Girl, L'Oreal, Neutrogena, Clinique, Philosophy, Bare Minerals, and Laura Geller.

Again, we'll buy whatever works - or more importantly, lol, whatever we think works!!!

Valued Contributor
On 5/16/2014 chrystaltree said:

What difference does it make to you ??? Did anyone ask YOU to pay for their "high end" cosmetics? And, for your information, "high end" is subjective. Means nothing. A $50 lipstick might sound like a lot to YOU, it's chump change to someone else. I get what's behind so many of these silly judgemental posts. Get life. Or even better, go buy yourself some "high end", perhaps that will make you feel better about yourself.

Nice comments. You sound like a real sweetheart. I don't think the OP deserves to be insulted like this.

Super Contributor
On 5/17/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 5/17/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 5/17/2014 azterry! said:

"high end" is a very subjective term. You can pay $8.99, $24.00 or $50 for a mascara. How come no one ever talks about "middle end" here? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} That's probably where most of us fall.

I am making a presumption, based on the fact this is a Beauty Board to say that most of us who do post here are interested in the subject of beauty. With that presumption, I will also suggest that most of us try products across the spectrum and make our choices based on what works best. I will also suggest that most of us have a mix of "low" "middle" and "high" end products in our arsenal. I know I do.

This subject comes up regularly and I can't help but think it's just an excuse for a little self-righteous preaching.

We need an image with a hammer hitting a nail on the head because you sure did azterry.

Take your pic (k):

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Valued Contributor

i could go into a drugstore, supermarket, target, walmart, etc 1000 times and never walk out with 1 impulse beauty buy.

over an average of 5 years @ $8.00 a pop that would be 8000 dollars in impulse buys. those impulse (instant high) buys really add up.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Super Contributor

Simple.

Two words.

It's called: Economic Freedom.

Two more words.

Thank. Goodness.

Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
On 5/17/2014 Margo Channing said:
On 5/16/2014 maryebrown said:
On 5/16/2014 HisElk said:
On 5/16/2014 Margo Channing said:
On 5/16/2014 HisElk said:
On 5/16/2014 happy housewife said:
On 5/16/2014 chrystaltree said:

What difference does it make to you ??? Did anyone ask YOU to pay for their "high end" cosmetics?

Actually, when people buy on credit then don't pay for it we all DO PAY - in higher costs to all of us for use of banking services and credit card costs. So your very rude post doesn't even hold water.

Who said anything about people not paying for it? "rude post"? What's rude about it? Maybe you should take a long look in the mirror about the many rude posts you make. SMH

She's just an arsonist who likes to set internet fires...

Boy, did you hit the nail on the head with your post.

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Thank you, ladies! I had 4" of rain in my basement to clean up today, and you gave me my chuckle for the day. Margo, your post is priceless, so true! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Oh, I feel you pain. Two weeks ago we had an absolute monsoon and our basement was underwater. Are you in the NY/NJ area?

re: the cost of cosmetics--OP--I won't count your money, please don't count mine.

We're in NW VA. The last time our basement flooded was 10 years ago, when we got "the remnants" of 4 Hurricanes in 6 weeks. We had 70" of snow this season, plus a lot of rain in the last 6 months, so the water table is very high. Schools were closed yesterday due to road flooding, as were parts of I-81 - that hasn't happened in the 13 years we've lived in the area! DH said we got over 6" by Fri. morning. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Valued Contributor
On 5/17/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Simple.

Two words.

It's called: Economic Freedom.

Two more words.

Thank. Goodness.

Smiley Happy

OT, good to 'see' you here. I haven't seen any of your posts in awhile or maybe I missed some; anyhow, just wanted to say good to see a post from you.

Trusted Contributor

When I did not have as much money, I worshipped at the department store make up counter. (Clairins & Lancôme) Now that I can afford most anything, I could not care any less than I do about the high end names.

I shop at Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, Walgreens and the grocery store for what I buy that is not from television shopping. As for the television shopping -- if it's a good deal, I will purchase but lately the sales pitches leave me laughing rather than ordering.

As for my results? I wish I had a dime for every woman that has asked me about my mascara, lip gloss and nail polish. When I whip out a five dollar tube of NYX, they are amazed at the quality. I have had women offer to buy my make up right out of my handbag.

It's your money. Light cigars with $100 bills if you want to.