Frequent Contributor

Hi, this is my first posting and it's about Wen

I am relatively new to the world of Wen, I really started using it since March. I have a question though please....I saw a thread about BGT v. Wen Kids....I like the rice based BGT but wanted to try something without menthol which Kids seems like the only option. The length of my hair is dry but it gets oily at the scalp pretty quickly. It's not fine and probably average thickness (kind of like the models Sheila/Hendrika?).

Do you think Kids would be moisturizing enough for me? I have tried SAM, TT and POM and while I thought they were ok I prefer the BGT (it seemed easier to rinse out).

Respected Contributor

Re: Hi, this is my first posting and it's about Wen

HI, welcome to the forum.

If you want to try one of the Kids' formulas, then SB is the most moisturizing. My husband thinks it is more moisturizing than Fig and he has curly dry hair.

SAM is very drying for me. Pom is okay if I mix it with Fig. I did not find TT moisturizing for my hair at all and had issues with the scent.

You might want to try mixing scents for each rinse. Many people find that it works best. Or you can use a different scent for each rinse.

I would definitely suggest trying the oils.

Have fun and happy wenning.

Honored Contributor

sugarina, welcome to the Wen forum and to the wonderful world of Wen!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I haven't tried the Kids CCs so I can't make any suggestions there, but I wanted to suggest that you take a look at CA. It's the most clarifying CC. It's formulated for people who have an oily scalp and dry hair.

I have shoulder length thin/fine hair and this is my regimin:

* first cleanse - TT (rotating CA and BGT in occassionally)

* second cleanse - I rotate using 613, BGT & all the seasonals.

-- bebeSmile Wen FAQ - key Wen links - Wen 101 - tips from Chaz Dean Studio

Honored Contributor

Hello, and welcome! The ladies have pointed you in the right direction. One other thing I would suggest to get the oily scalp under control is to start doing overnight oil treatments a few times a week, or the night before you plan to cleanse. It really made a difference for me. I've only had experience with WEN oils.

Take four droppersful to cover the entire scalp and give yourself a good scalp massage. If your hair is thick and/or coarse enough, you may be fine going to bed as is, but if it's finer/thinner, you may need to wrap your head in an old tshirt or a turbie towel to protect your pillowcase. The next morning, do your double cleansing. If you are consistent, the oil production should normalize.

Super Contributor

May I ask why you don't want menthol? Are you sensitive to it? If so, I understand. However, menthol is one of the ingredients that is in WEN for your scalp health. It helps normalize your oil production and calms your scalp down so it doesn't produce so much oil.

Definitely follow JeanLouise's advice to use the oils, but if you could use the TT it would really help with your scalp. To help get it rinsed out, after you work it into your hair, stick your head back under the shower for just a second or add several splashes of water and work it into a froth. You can feel it change from a creamy consistence to more frothy. That really does make a difference in the final rinse.

Honored Contributor

I had oily scalp and dry ends before I started using Wen. What I found was just getting rid of the shampoo solved the problem. My first year my ends were too dry for the kids so I used Fig. After the first year, I had no issues using kids on it's own and I do so now pretty often. I love the kids line and find all three of them work the same for me, but none are on the level of Fig as far as moisture.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I used Fig until I figured out that the menthol was an issue for me. I now use the Kids WEN. Strawberry Banana, for me, is the closest to Fig in moisture but not exactly there. I cleanse with SB and then use Fig as my 2nd cleanse but do NOT touch the scalp at all. Instead, I apply FIG halfway down and to the roots. I add oil too during the winter.

I have often thought about asking if they could bring out a super hydrating WEN for kids as I know friends have found that none of them are hydrating enough for their kids during the winter (those with very dry, coarse hair). In their case, they too add oils in with the product.

HTH : )

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I cannot help because I have tried Wen kids to date. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

For anyone who is new to Wen it is best to buy one of the discovery kits that are offered. It is a good place to start and try several different formulas.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you to everyone who responded, much appreciated! My skin can be extremely sensitive so that was the reason I wanted to try a non-menthol CC. I don’t have issues with menthol and don’t have anything against it at all but I just wanted to know how different a non-menthol CC feels if that makes any sense? Wen is all about experimenting to find the “right” one after all…right?

I guess I will continue to hope for OTOs so that I can pick up some other varieties as suggested. I have been using the TT oil for hair treatments (very fun thing) and it is amazing that after you cleanse how great your hair feels. And….I do think that the smell of SAM is just pure bliss J I can’t wait to receive my SHP so I can try that too!