Valued Contributor

Here's what I don't understand about reviews

Well, one of the things anyway.

I see bobbi Brown items are free shipping thru 10-27,  I use a lot of products but buy mine from Nordstrom, always free shipping

Anway I was looking thru products and clicked on some reviews on foundation, One person stated she was returning hers because of the color, Now, that's okay, it is hard to pick colors without seeing them in person so I would not buy online unless I knew firsthand what color I wore.

But the part that got me was when she said I want to see my foundation in person when spending this much before I buy.  Ok, you just did buy this online so isn't saying that afterwards a little backwards? I mean,they will now have to throw that bottle away and it's just a waste. I dunno. Sometimes I think people just buy stuff online because they know they can return it but why bother if you just end up spending S&H both ways to try something? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Here's what I don't understand about reviews

I think we just can't make sense of some reviews. Some people don't understand the concept, some don't understand online ordering, and some just plain cannot write.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

QVC says "return it for any reason within 30 days" and some shoppers take them at their word.  That customer took a chance and ordered makeup online and it didn't work out for her, she realizes she has to see makeup up close and personal.  I don't see anything wrong about that.  What should she do keep something she can't use when QVC encourages returns?  I do think many people  order things that know they know aren't going to keep.  They "window" shop or they get caught up in the programs and convince themselves that they can afford it or that a size 8 will fit or that they'll look like the host in it.  Reality sets in when the item arrives.  But, I don't have a problem with that because QVC allows and encourages returns.  That's why I don't buy "as is" items.  

Honored Contributor

I think that a good many of the people who order makeup online order it to "see" what it is, "play" with it, or simply use it and then have buyer's remorse and get their money back and, as they see it, "no harm no foul" and they aren't out the price.

I have seen way too many postings about that issue here (I've been here since the beginning of the boards) not to believe that.  In my mind makeup should NOT be a returnable item online.  

You don't even have to face someone at a store to take it back in any condition, you just "play" send it back and it's ok.  Then someone else probably gets it or we all pay three times the price to compensate for it.

If you don't like the color of foundation, mix it with a little something from the drugstore and wear it anyway.  Or be way more careful if you can't get your money back.

It's makeup.  It isn't something you must have for your health.  It isn't a necessity.  It can't not fit like a pair of jeans.  You should be sure enough it's right before you order it or you should get it locally. 

Honored Contributor

I think there's now a space that asks reviewers if they actually purchased the item. I'd like to know if it's makeup, skincare, etc. if they tried it once or twice before returning it or gave it several weeks. That makes a big difference in a review. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

Well, one of the things anyway.

I see bobbi Brown items are free shipping thru 10-27,  I use a lot of products but buy mine from Nordstrom, always free shipping

Anway I was looking thru products and clicked on some reviews on foundation, One person stated she was returning hers because of the color, Now, that's okay, it is hard to pick colors without seeing them in person so I would not buy online unless I knew firsthand what color I wore.

But the part that got me was when she said I want to see my foundation in person when spending this much before I buy.  Ok, you just did buy this online so isn't saying that afterwards a little backwards? I mean,they will now have to throw that bottle away and it's just a waste. I dunno. Sometimes I think people just buy stuff online because they know they can return it but why bother if you just end up spending S&H both ways to try something? 

@PinkSunset  Re: BB free ship. They haven't had a presentation in forever and too many items online on QVC have been discontinued for over a year or more. I can't imagine where, in that case, the "fresh stock" is coming from. It's most likely in the warehouse getting spoiled. 

Honored Contributor

The cost of accepting returns is built into the price of the makeup.  These companies would rather have a happy customer for many years than someone who tries something once and gives up.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

The cost of accepting returns is built into the price of the makeup.  These companies would rather have a happy customer for many years than someone who tries something once and gives up.  

The companies aren't out a dime on returns.  We, the customers, foot the bill for it. 

Respected Contributor

The people who give a negative review because their size isn't available, I find very annoying. That shouldn't even be considered in the review. Instead comment on the quality of the item. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset Perhaps that purchase the "light bulb" moment where she realized it's not SO simple!  I need to see the real thing!Smiley Happy