Honored Contributor

Here is what I wish EVERY skincare ingredient list looked like

I know many of us wish we knew what % of certain ingredients are in our skincare products. I was looking at the ingredients from a few lines I'd never heard of and I noticed this one line called SmartSkin. They put the % of the majority of their ingredients in the list! I love that and wish they'd all do it for those that are kind of skincare obsessed like me and appreciate when companies are so transparent. Smiley Happy Here is an example of what it looks like:

Active Ingredients: Retinol (0.5%), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C: 2%), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C: 2%), Ascorbyl Glucoside (Vitamin C: 2%), Hyaluronic Acid (1%), Copper Peptides Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment (1%), Undaria Pinnatifida (Wakame Seaweed) Extract (2%), Thioctic Acid (Alpha Lipoic Acid) (0.5%), Squalane (4%), Vitamin E Tocopherol (0.5%), Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract (0.5%), Resveratrol (1%), Vitamin B3 (1%). Base: Purified Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Cellulose Gum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Grapefruit.

Respected Contributor

Re: Here is what I wish EVERY skincare ingredient list looked like

We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves!! Smiley Wink
Super Contributor

That would be nice! I also wish they would explain the ingredients they use. It's nice to know what each ingredient is supposed to do and where they get it from.

Trusted Contributor

Love this post, as this is one of my pet peeves. The formulation listed above shows that the total percentage of active ingredients is 18%. The rest is base ingredients. I'm sure this is pretty standard, as the base ingredients is what gives the product it's body. You wouldn't want 50% retinol anyway!

Wen's new body treatment, at $59+ shipping has a ton of ingredients, but the base is water, silicone and glycerin - which probably makes up 82%. If you were to divide the remaining 18% by the other 90 ingredients, the concentration of any of them would be too miniscule to be beneficial.

Super Contributor

Check out this one:

Ingredients: Glycolic acid, distilled water.

(ASDM's glycolic peel)

Edit to add: You can choose the percentage of the glycolic acid.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 MarenSeattle said:

Check out this one:

Ingredients: Glycolic acid, distilled water.

(ASDM's glycolic peel)

Edit to add: You can choose the percentage of the glycolic acid.

lol, that is pretty cut and dry! no mystery as to what you are getting there!

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 pas4116 said:

Love this post, as this is one of my pet peeves. The formulation listed above shows that the total percentage of active ingredients is 18%. The rest is base ingredients. I'm sure this is pretty standard, as the base ingredients is what gives the product it's body. You wouldn't want 50% retinol anyway!

Wen's new body treatment, at $59+ shipping has a ton of ingredients, but the base is water, silicone and glycerin - which probably makes up 82%. If you were to divide the remaining 18% by the other 90 ingredients, the concentration of any of them would be too miniscule to be beneficial.

IT cosmetics has some of their products with these ridiculously long ingredient list, worse than the WEN body treatment. To me, it is just wasting my hard earned money buying something with a million ingredients, even if those ingredients are "impressive" because you are right, the majority of those ingredients aren't beneficial at all due to the minute amount you are getting. they should call them trace ingredients, lol!