Respected Contributor

Has anyone used henna from Henna Color Labs our of Portland, Oregon?  The product looks nice and I am ready to use something less harsh on my hair which has been thinning due to age and Tamoxifen. Does it cover gray?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @sonechko has posted numerous times on this subject. Hopefully she will see this and respond.

Respected Contributor

This is absolutely the site for everything about henna.  If you want to learn there is so much here, and also there are some very mistaken ideas of the colors. Henna is a plant and it essentially stains your hair and the color doesn’t go away, it grows out.  The different colors are because of the different plants, or something other than henna is mixed with them.  

This is used in Europe, and women go to the salons and it takes 4 to 6 hours because that’s how long the dying process takes. Some women I know put it on before they go to bed at night. Also be careful what it comes in contact with because it will stain.

But people all over the world use it with great success:

http://www.hennaforhair.com

Esteemed Contributor

I have used light mountain. It’s a two step process if your covering grey. Although the result was good henna is very messy and the process took all day.

Honored Contributor

A lot of henna sold today does not contain any or very little henna.  Read the ingredients.  Some of the faux henna dyes have caused burning and scaring.

Also,  be aware that if you do use real henna, you should not apply hair color on top of it.  You will need to grow your hair out before you color.

Valued Contributor

I highly recommend the site that @Bhvbum recommended: hennaforhair.com.  I have been using a combination of henna and indigo, sometimes adding cassia to color my hair for 2 years, which I buy from their partner site mehandi.com.  It is pure body art quality henna, which is what you should use because it has no metallic salts or ppd added.  If you use pure BAQ henna you can color over it without damaging your hair.  Pure henna is red but you can get other colors by mixing in other plant dyes such as indigo and cassia. 

There is a learning curve for using henna but for me it was totally worth it as I believe it has added volume to my once thinning hair.

Honored Contributor

I was curious about henna after reading about it on another post in this forum.  I've decided to let my hair go gray but thought henna might be an option.  After reading the directions for application, leaving it on for an hour???!!!, I decided it wasn't for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Has anyone used henna from Henna Color Labs our of Portland, Oregon?  The product looks nice and I am ready to use something less harsh on my hair which has been thinning due to age and Tamoxifen. Does it cover gray?

Yes @bargainsgirl. I have been using Henna from this company for a few month now after being natural grey for a few years.

I would not use chemical color ever again, besides it did stopped working for me anyways, i.e. did not keep grey covered.

On my search for a natural and more effective color I was lucky to find hennacolorlab and can't ask for a better product than this organic Henna.

I recently use Medium Brown and color completely covers my grey and keeps it covered - it does not come back, except my roots.

Esteemed Contributor

p.s. there is no step process in covering grey for me with hennacolorlab henna. This Henna does it right away. Future applications solidify the color and it's intensity. Henna stains your hair and it stays this color, so it is impossible going lighter color, unlike the chemical color that uses bleach, Henna does not lighten hair.

But this organic natural product conditions your hair really well and gives it body and some volume.

Hennas and other related natural dyes/conditioners are highly underrated in USA unfortunately - they are a gold mine for hair care and beauty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

A lot of henna sold today does not contain any or very little henna.  Read the ingredients.  Some of the faux henna dyes have caused burning and scaring.

Also,  be aware that if you do use real henna, you should not apply hair color on top of it.  You will need to grow your hair out before you color.

This is precisely WHY I use and highly recommend hennacolorlab pure natural organic product.

And with you CAN use this Henna if you still have chemical color in your hair. Hennacolorlab site gets you all the help you need, and you can contact them on the site and on the phone with any questions you may have.