Valued Contributor

Help with new TSV Chi Styling iron

I have never used a styling iron before ----only a curling iron. I have been trying to work with the Chi TSV and I obviously need some product to help. I have short, fine hair. The iron does not seem to clamp tightly enough for me to get that curl roll like the demos. I use a styling product when I blow dry but feel like I need another product to spray on my dry hair before using the Chi.

Anyone else with this problem? I see that Chi makes several products. I'm not really looking for a hair spray, but something to spray on to add some body to my fine hair so that the styling iron works better.

TIA

Super Contributor

Re: Help with new TSV Chi Styling iron

My hair is not fine its actually quite thick and I had the same problem. Plus mine would not lock, it was obviously defective no matter how long I waited after I set the temp. It would not lock. When I tried curling my hair it wouldn't clamp down enough. I returned mine the same day I got it. I own the travel size chi and travel size blow dryer and Love it. I can't believe I like the travel size better because it doesn't have temp settings and its smaller. My hair is long about the middle of my back. But still prefer the smaller one easier to handle and makes nice tight curls.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QPrincess@shiloh 81.

That Chi TSV iron sounded so amazing, I have a great Chi iron and wanted the newest technology but when after seeing how high the 3 settings were on the new iron I had to pass, my hair would fry and be on the floor.  My Chi goes to the 170 up to 450 with multiple choices for heat settings.

Respected Contributor

I have this Chi and find that once I clamp down on the section of hair, I rotate the iron a quarter turn and pull straight up or out depending upon the side of my head I'm on.  I have a long pixie.  I use a bit of thermal type hair spray on each section for hold since I've got such fine hair.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information ladies. I am still in search of a product to spray on my dry hair to give it some body and something to hold onto so the Chi , which doesn't seem to clamp tight enought to me, can have some help.

Shiloh, if you come back here - did you purchase your travel set on the Q? Is it A330981?

Tigriss, what product do you like to spray on your hair???

Can anyone else help please.

Valued Contributor

I would truly appreciate some suggestions for a product to give my hair more body so my CHI can clamp down on my fine hair.

Is there anyone who  puts something on their blown dry hair to give it  more body when using the Chi???

Super Contributor

Yes, that is the travel set I have and I really like it.
Respected Contributor

@QPrincess wrote:

Thanks for the information ladies. I am still in search of a product to spray on my dry hair to give it some body and something to hold onto so the Chi , which doesn't seem to clamp tight enought to me, can have some help.

Shiloh, if you come back here - did you purchase your travel set on the Q? Is it A330981?

Tigriss, what product do you like to spray on your hair???

Can anyone else help please.

I'm sorry, QPrincess.  I have been out of town.  I use sea salt spray to give my hair texture and So Gorgeous Thermal Styling and Finishing Spray from Sally Beauty Supply.  Sally's has several different kinds.  I've tried many and like them all.  The combo of sea salt spray and the thermal spray works well.  I wash my hair at night and spray the sea salt spray in then air dry since I have to use a flat iron in the morning anyway even if I blow dry it at night.  My hair changes directions at night while I sleep, probably due to hot flashes and night sweat damping my hair and redrying in a kinked out way.  My hair is naturally straight but drying while sleeping does leave it at different angles, so why bother with two heat exposures.  I just flat iron in the morning anyway.  I can also get away with the sea salt spray at night and dry shampoo in the morning then flat ironing. The heat and dry shampoo gives it volume and keeps me from having to wash each night.  Since I started doing this, I can get away without nightly washing my red dyed hair.  I think my oil production is leveling out.

So Gorgeous Thermal Styling and Finishing Hair Spray

Valued Contributor

Thank you Tigress for sharing the product information. I was actually looking at some sea salt spray so after reading your post, I am going to try that. My hair is so fine it needs some help to give it body and texture.

Shiloh, thanks for verifying that A330981 is the set you purchased. I'm actually thinking of returning the Chi TSV and getting the set you have. I need a new travel blow dryer any way. I just hope the flat iron in the set will grab onto my hair a little better than the full size TSV one does.

Anyone else with product help?? What do you spray on dry hair after blow drying to give your hair body - something that gives the Chi something to hold onto better.

Valued Contributor

Would you be able to take it to your hair stylist to help you? And perhaps if it is defective she/he'd be able to spot that as well.