Help with Josie Maran products

I am a 62 year old woman - watched the past week and bought the TSV with the Reserve Argan oil /whipped body cream and then added the Pure Argan Milk Hydrating Treatment.

I think is was Jane Tracy who Gushed about how wonderful these were - she and her girls use the reserve combined with the Milk Hydrating cream all the time.

So I put one pump of the Argan Milk on a clean face and then a few minutes later add 1 or 2 drops of the Reserve Argan oil.

Problem is my face just appears kind of greasy all day long.  My makeup kind of cakes.

I don't think I'm using that much but wondering from the community if you have any tips on these Josie Maran products.

They win awards all the time - I was really hoping they would help my skin.

I'm mainly looking for an improvement of lines, wrinkles.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help with Josie Maran products

I love JM products and use them. I'm in the same age range as you. I can't put multiple products on my face at any one time. (I have sensitive & dry skin) I alternate between the sam & pm routine. I also only use a drop or two. I don't have the greasy situation that some state. I believe the less is more when it comes to serums, etc. I would use the milk for the day and the reserve at night. At least, that's what works for me.    

Respected Contributor

I’m in my late 60s and use Josie’s products.  I have never used the reserve and did not buy the TSV but only because I am using the Skin Dope oil and didn’t need another oil right now.  I am using her face cream in the morning and then her tinted spf.  In the evening I am using the Skin Dope oil and then her Divine Drip sleeping nectar cream.  I have used her face milk in the past and like it and was thinking that when I run out of my morning face cream that I would buy the milk to use in its place (I like to mix it up sometimes).  Long story short, maybe you could try using the reserve oil only in the evening?

Honored Contributor

You may want to try using one or the other and see what your results are, but not both together.  

I use many of Josie's products, but the only thing I use the oils for is pre-cleansing.  Like you, I find them too greasy to use as a moisturizer. 

I do use the Milk, which is my favorite product.  In the morning, I use it only if I'm not using her SPF moisturizer because again, the two together are too greasy for me in the daytime.  At night, I use the Milk and then usually the Divine Drip Sleeping Nectar.  I don't wear makeup anymore, but I'd suggest trying the Milk alone under your makeup, especially if you're using a liquid or cream foundation, which tend to be more moisturizing.   

I like the Milk because it's flexible.  I can use it alone when it's hot and humid and I want only a light moisturizer, or I can use it under a moisturizer when I want more hydration.

But that said, these products may not be for you.   Not everyone likes them.  They're not miracle workers, but I like them because I have sensitive skin and a lot of products cause problems for me.  And they have little to no fragrance, which is another problem for me.

However, I do have to say that even if your skin isn't actually "greasy" some these products do tend to leave a shine, rather than a matte look, that might look like greasy to you.

Honored Contributor

@jj20   I am not in favor of layering products.  At bedtime use one or the other.  ONe night use the milk and the next the oil and see which one you like best.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

One more thing--I believe even Josie says to use the Reserve at night.  It's a richer oil than just her regular argan oil.  It would be even more so on top of the Milk. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 62 as well.  I love and use most of Josie's products.  I am unable to use any of her oils in the day.  My skin would be very dry if I did not do my best to take care of it.  Even so, the oils do not absorb as quickly as stated, at least not on me.  I've used the 100% argon oil, the 50/50 skin dope oil, and the reserve that I got from the last TSV.   I use them at night only.  I do layer. 

Before I go to sleep I lay on my back for a little while to let the oil sink in my face and eventually turn on my side because that's the only way that I can sleep.  Even then, the oil is not fully absorbed.  Also, when I put it on the in morning, somehow there is always transference to my eyeglasses and then I gotta go and wash them.

I am a BIG Josie fan, but oils, for me, are for nighttime use only.

Respected Contributor

I use the milk at night, and, just recently found that if I added the body butter (especially on my upper lip) it helps with the lines. 

If I were to layer the milk and the oil, I would only do it at night and I have when I've thought of it. But that's just me and I don't have extremely dry skin.