Contributor

Help to plump up fine straight hair?

I’ve tried Nick Chavez with no luck. 

Salt sprays help a little bit but feels terrible. 

My hair is short too so it really needs help. 

My mom keeps pushing for a perm but I really don’t want to do that. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Help to plump up fine straight hair?

@Grammyto3  I use Aquage Thickening gel spray.  It sprays  (fine mist) on your damp hair and then you comb thru.  It works.

Yesterday I was reading about another product called The Ordinary which is sold at Sephora and the reviews were impressive.  I will look further into this product.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My hair is totally flat, straight and lays against my scalp. Has no volume or body unless I lift the roots to give it more volume. One the best things I have found is this hair tool made by Voloom. It's called the Rootie and it works by placing the tool close to your roots in the under lying layers of your hair, sort of crimping it there.  The effect is similar to what you get when you back-comb your hair but without doing that. I cannot live without my Rootie! It has changed the way my hair looks forever. But just a warning...its $125. But soOOO worth it that I would buy another immediately if mine ever breaks. I've had my Rootie for almost 2 years. I love it so much I can't even tell you. I bought mine from Walmart dot com and used my PayPal Credit to have six months to pay for it. 

VOLOOM  Rootie - $125

Rootie1.jpg

Honored Contributor

The Rootie gives me volume that lasts for days! Even after sleeping on it I wake up the next day and my hair is not flat at all. It's amazing. If you get a chance look for some Youtube videos on how to use it. People love this thing and it's top-rated.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Ask your hairdresser to cut interior layers.

Honored Contributor

@Grammyto3 wrote:

I’ve tried Nick Chavez with no luck. 

Salt sprays help a little bit but feels terrible. 

My hair is short too so it really needs help. 

My mom keeps pushing for a perm but I really don’t want to do that. 

@Grammyto3 , I swear by Drybar Southern Belle Voume Boosting Mousse. It gives great volume without feeling sticky or that it needs to be washed. Another poster here recommended this product and I bless them whenever I blow dry my hair. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I use a volumizing hair powder..."Not Your Mother's" Girl Powder Volumizing Hair Powder.  It's about $6.00.at Ulta. Walmart used to carry it too but I haven't seen it there for a while. There are other brands of volumizing powder but I have never tried them because they are more expensive.

Respected Contributor

I use either Aveda thickening tonic or Boldify Hair Thickening Spray for volume and fullness. When using either of these products my hair holds a style and feels and looks like I have twice as much hair.

Respected Contributor

I also have fine hair, but it has a little wave to it. Yet it can look flat at times. My hairstylist uses Oribe products on me, which are super expensive, but super awesome for my hair. She recommended R&COMPANY, which is the sister company of Oribe, at lesser price. I have bought R&COMPANY THICKENING SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER, and it definitely adds volume and fullness, while keeping it shiny and silky looking.
So I switch off between the 2 brands. I also start blowing my hair with my head down, then style with a large round brush. Honestly Oribe is the absolute best line I've ever used. I do not order from Amazon. I only buy from either their site, or my salon...and just this week ordered Oribe Brilliance and Shine from Lala daisy with 20%off, and I recieved it already, and it's the real product. Other than those, I wouldn't take a chance.
Honored Contributor

This is just going to be trial and error to find out what works for *your* hair.  Not what you want to hear I know.  LOL

I have fine, thin and poker straight hair.  I have tried most of the products that have been listed here with the exception of the Rootie (which I'm going to look into) and the volumizing powder and none of them did anything for me hair.  I wasn't even slightly tempted to buy them again.  So while they work for some, they won't work for others.

I have spent more money then I care to even think about and I cannot tell you the number of products I have sitting in my linen closet right now that didn't achieve the desired results for me.