Trusted Contributor

Re: Help me to choose a 2% bha?

I have oily skin and started out with the gel 2%. I then switched to the 2% liquid which I now prefer and have reordered multiple times. Even when using the smallest amount, the gel seemed to still leave a sticky film on my skin so I would use it only at night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I've used Paula's BHA 2% liquid for years.  I started with gel and tossed it and have used liquid since.  The gel is entirely too thick, heavy and doesn't absorb at all.

Same here and I didn' t like the gel either.

@CissyT- there are several Paula's Choice 2% Bha products. I would suggest you call or email PC as their CS is really helpful and will often send you you samples of a few to try so you can see which works best for you.

I have normal to dry skin but I prefer the CLEAR Anti-redness 2% BHA which is for blemish prone, more oily skin. It is more lightweight (read: not at all tacky or sticky). I can't use the RESIST 2% because for some reason it makes me break out, something I rarely do.

I think for you, the one @Brittany-QVC might be the best choice or the CLEAR anti-redness 2% if you want more lightweight feeling. Just remember to use sparingly and I suggest using it with your hands rather than with a cotton ball. Just pour a drop or two in your hands and pat on your face and neck. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Clean & Clear.....5 bucks

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found the ingredients for Clean & Clear spot treatment, which has 2% BHA (saliclyic acid):

Active Ingredients

Salicylic Acid (2%)

Inactive Ingredients

Water SD Alcohol 40-B Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water Polyacrylamide Glycerin C13-14 Isoparaffin Cyclopentasiloxane C12-15 Alkyl Lactate Alcohol Laureth-7 Phenoxyethanol Cetyl Lactate PPG-2 Isoceteth-20 Acetate Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate Polysorbate 20 Phenethyl Dimethicone Fragrance Dehydroxanthan Gum Propylene Glycol Benzalkonium Chloride Ammonium Hydroxide Tetrasodium EDTA Butylene Glycol Capryloyl Glycine Sarcosine Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark Extract Cedrus Atlantica Bark Extract Portulaca Oleracea Extract

Here are PC's ingredients for her 2% BHA liquid:

Key Ingredients: methylpropanediol, salicylic acid, green tea, BHA (beta hydroxy acid)

Product Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Methylpropanediol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Polysorbate 20 (solubilizing agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent)

I would not use a product with an ingredient list like the Clean & Clear Spot Treatment. Alcohol is the second listed ingredient, so I didn't even bother to consider the rest of the deck, other than to see a whole bunch of ingredients that I doubt I need or want in my BHA solution.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Anyone know if Clinique #2 clarifying lotion (the pink one) is a BHA?

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Southernfriedchick wrote:

Anyone know if Clinique #2 clarifying lotion (the pink one) is a BHA?

Thank you!

Gotta love the google :-)

Water, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Menthol, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Red 6, Red 33, Violet 2

It does contain salicylic acid, which is BHA, but I have no clue at what percentage. Personally, @Southernfriedchick, I avoid alcohol in skin care, unless it's the "fatty" type. It concerns me that alcohol is the second ingredient.

It also contains menthol, which is a potential skin irritant that is used companies because it provides that tingle that so many users equate with effective cleansing or exfoliating -- when in truth, it means only that it is causing a local reaction on the skin.

IMO, the ingredients are not at all impressive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Is Pixie Glow a comparable product? I have the Paula's choice & the pixie glow & I'm not sure which order to use them or if I should alternatate nights.
Super Contributor

suzyQ3,

Thank you for the info.

Perhaps, I do need a Drone to reach Google. Couldn't get it on my cell or computer. That's another thread perhaps. LOL