Respected Contributor

Help me find new shampoo/conditioner/styling products

My hair is looking dull and a bit dry these days.  I have fine hair but lots of it.  I'm looking to revamp my products to see if I can get my hair to look better.  I feel that anything that provides moisture and shine leaves my hair flat, but anything that provides volume leaves my hair dry.  I've recently tried Living Proof's volume line which left my hair so ridiculously flat, and Alterna Caviar which left my hair dry.  I'm looking for suggestions OTHER THAN Wen, as I was using it for months and found that I couldn't skip a day of cleansing.  So cleansing everyday with Wen is just not a possibility.  I don't mind paying for great products but I feel cleansing everyday with Wen, for "just ok" results is both wasteful and uneconomical.  And yes, I've tried several combinations and techniques...so I'm really ready to move on from Wen.  I'd like to be able to get the products at Ulta or Sephora.  So please share your suggestions!  Again, I'm looking for volume and healthy looking hair!

Valued Contributor

Re: Help me find new shampoo/conditioner/styling products

[ Edited ]

I figured out, with the help of a dermatologist, why my hair was so dry and dull at one point. I've always washed my hair daily (because I exercise daily and therefore sweat daily), but my hair had never been dry/dull before.

My derm explained that for many people, sulfate-free shampoos dry hair to a crisp. (I had jumped on the sulfate-free bandwagon at one point.)  My derm explained that there is no scientific evidence to back up the "stripping hair" claims made by some sulfate-free hair companies. Further, she explained that sodium laureth sulfate now used in most shampoos is completely fine. She also explained that sulfate-free shampoos add other chemicals to replace the sulfates and those chemicals can really dry hair out, which is what happened to me.  Within a week of going back to my old favorites, my hair was moistuized, shiny and happy again!

So, my two favorites (both work great for daily shampooing and both are sold at Ulta and Beauty Brands):

- Redken Color Extend Shampoo and Conditioner
- Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo  (I don't love the condtioner, so I just use Redken's)

Respected Contributor

Very interesting! Thank you! I'll do a little research on Redken.
Respected Contributor

You didn't say, but I wonder if you have tried any of the Nick Chavez products.  I'm not an expert on his shampoos, I mainly use his styling products, but he has a lot of formulas to choose from, including a hydrating shampoo. I believe you can get them at Ulta.  

Respected Contributor

I have a theory not all will agree with, but when you are using high end products and aren't happy with them, rather than going for more and more expensive hair care, go the other way and see if inexpensive products will satisfy you.

If you are not happy with results and spending a lot, might as well be unhappy and spend less is my rule of thumb.  I like the Suave Professionals products, especially the Moroccan infusion color care line and the Sea Mineral infusion.

Respected Contributor

I like Suave's sea mineral shampoo and conditioner but it gave me whitehead pimples all over my scalp and the back of my neck.
Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I have a theory not all will agree with, but when you are using high end products and aren't happy with them, rather than going for more and more expensive hair care, go the other way and see if inexpensive products will satisfy you.

If you are not happy with results and spending a lot, might as well be unhappy and spend less is my rule of thumb.  I like the Suave Professionals products, especially the Moroccan infusion color care line and the Sea Mineral infusion.

I guess I agree with that. When I was using the Suave Moroccan I really liked it. I also agree that sulfate free shampoo dries the hair. I was using Wen & my scalp got oilier. My scalp never did normalize so I stopped using it. I have lost lots of hair & my hair is now thinner so I started using Andalou for thinning hair. Love the shampoo & conditioner but my hair is now drier. I still use it & along with their moisturizing conditioner with the shampoo once per week & use Wen once per week until I get it used up. So far my hair looks a lot better. I would love to use the Andalou moisturizer only but it will leave my scalp to oily so I cannot do that.

Respected Contributor

I was in the exact same situation that you are in now about a year ago, plus have hair that is greying so the texture has changed.  

I took the plunge and ordered Nick Chavez Yucca shampoo and conditioner, and it is fantastic.  My hair has shine and body, don't have to shampoo every day, and it seems to do both:  moisturize and add body, something I could not get from other products I tried.  My hair is not dried out nor is it flat and limp and oily.

I also use his styling products, and have loved them all.  My hair looks great most days, is easy to manage, and my scalp feels so much less dry as well.  Great stuff!

Honored Contributor

I have used salon formulas as well as various formulas from WalMart, and outside of expense, have never seen a big difference.  However, I also realize the longest hairs on my head are only about 4" long.   I recently switched to Mane and Tail shampoo, and really like it.  

Honored Contributor

First of all, stop using sulfate shampoos that dry out the hair.  If you want to shop at ULTa just ask the Sa's for a good sulfate free shampoo.  Stay away from conditioners if you have fine hair because it weighs your hair down.  One product I swear by is aquage thickening spray gel but I don't know if either store carries it. It does not build up and is a fine mist. There are beauty salons that do carry this line but I buy mine on EBay.  after you shampoo, spray onto damp towel dried hair and comb through and blow dry.  It really thickens the hair giving volume too.  The shampoos I use are acure Organics, alba Botanica, avalon organics thickening shampoo (excellent) but I purchase from iherb.com.  When you spend $20 you receive free shpg.  Good luck to you.

Cat Very HappyCat Very Happy

kindness is strength