Trusted Contributor

Re: Help me find new shampoo/conditioner/styling products

I've tried so many for my curly, almost frizzy hair and I still love Avon Shampoos.  My hands-down favorite is the frizz control one.  They also have other formulas for dry hair, colored hair, moisturizing kind, and it goes a long way and is rich and yet sudsy.  My hair is in great condition using these shampoos too.  About twice a year they offer the large bottles on sale, which I buy in fours and then I have it all year long.  I've tried expensive and cheap brands and this Avon seems to be the best in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

Even though I use Wen, I also like to use other shampoo sometimes.

L'anza has some great shampoo with different formulas. I also like the "Trauma treatment" leave-in conditioner.

Biolage is another one that I really like. They do have some good prices with both the shampoo and conditioner. Large bottles. You can check-out the beauty shop at Walmart.

I also like "Dumb Blonde" and it smells so good. I have found some of these products at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

I know this may sound crazy but VO5 makes a hot oil treatment that is helpful for dry hair.

No matter what you use, I think a leave-in conditioner does help the hair.

Respected Contributor

I started using the "It's a 10" with Keratin spray leave-in conditioner a year or so ago after receiving a free sample from Ulta.  When I went back to the store to buy another bottle because I liked it so much, it came with a free sample of the shampoo (also with Keratin).  I finally used that yesterday, and now I'm hooked.  My hair is fine, long, straight, lightened, and thinning.  Even worse, I'm outdoors a lot.  The leave in spray helps a lot to smooth it, but the shampoo really improved it so much more.  It was shiny and smooth even after doing it at home with the A/C turned off on a hot humid day!  I've now ordered the shampoo, conditioner, and shine spray from Amazon.  They carry all these things in Ulta, but they are very expensive........cheaper elsewhere.  There are lots of great reviews on these products too.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Rachb, if shopping at Ulta is preferred, I recommend Wella's Brilliance, and Enrich Moisturizing lines.  Wella offers both in formulas for fine/normal and coarse hair.  The coarse versions have more moisturizers in them, so if your hair is dry and dull they may work best for you.  The Wella brand is usually included when they have haircare specials, and it's eligible for use with store coupons.  

Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:

My hair is looking dull and a bit dry these days.  I have fine hair but lots of it.  I'm looking to revamp my products to see if I can get my hair to look better.  I feel that anything that provides moisture and shine leaves my hair flat, but anything that provides volume leaves my hair dry.  I've recently tried Living Proof's volume line which left my hair so ridiculously flat, and Alterna Caviar which left my hair dry.  I'm looking for suggestions OTHER THAN Wen, as I was using it for months and found that I couldn't skip a day of cleansing.  So cleansing everyday with Wen is just not a possibility.  I don't mind paying for great products but I feel cleansing everyday with Wen, for "just ok" results is both wasteful and uneconomical.  And yes, I've tried several combinations and techniques...so I'm really ready to move on from Wen.  I'd like to be able to get the products at Ulta or Sephora.  So please share your suggestions!  Again, I'm looking for volume and healthy looking hair!

Hello, RachB. Smiley Happy

Nick Chavez makes some good volumizing products.

For washing the hair:

Plump 'N Thick Shampoo and Conditioner

Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner

Advanced Volume with Expansion Technology Shampoo and Conditioner

Plump 'N Thick Shampoo and Leave-In Conditioner

For styling the hair:

Volumizing Hairspray - Extra Hold

Velvet Mesquite Hydrating/Thickening Styling Gel (no sticky, gummy mess with this gel)

Advanced Plump 'N Thick Expander

Actually, Nick is having a sale on his site for a volume product, so you might want to check it out.

Or, you can check out QVC's site. They have two kits from Nick Chavez.

One has Nick's Advanced Volume Shampoo, Conditioner and hairspray (hairspray comes in a spray bottle).

The other is Nick Advanced Plump 'N Thick 5 Piece Collection. That includes Nick's Advanced Plump 'N Thick Shampoo and Conditioner, Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening Hairspray, Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening Styling Mist and Plump 'N Thick Thickening Spray Gel.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

I'm heading to ulta today. Definitely going to pick up some Redken shampoo and conditioner. Just don't know which one yet....extreme, volume, color extend? I guess I'll decide when I get there. They're having a buy 2, get 1 sale so I'm also going to pick up Aerate08. Any other shampoo/conditioner revs I should look at while I'm there? I'm not opposed to buying multiple brands at once and experimenting Smiley Wink
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have very fine and thin and also poker straight hair with cowlicks. Yeah - it is everyones dream - NOT. Fortunately the current style trend is for hair to be straight  so I have chosen to embrace that and I pay for a very good cut then just have to blow my hair dry, then finger comb it. If it blows in the wind - no problem because I can just run my fingers through it and it falls right back in place. IMO the secret to fine hair is all about the cut. That is where I invest my money.I use Pert shampoo with light conditioning and I do not ever put any products other than that on my hair, because regular conditioner weighs my hair down as do products.Plus products take away all the shine that makes my hair look healthy. I also have pure white hair and I chose not to color it. I feel dyes really damage ones hair.My hair is shiny, bouncy and healthy looking, and soft to the touch. My DH loves to touch my hair. IMO - when someones hair looks damaged it makes the person themself look like they aren't healthy.

Trusted Contributor

You might like Nick Chavez' Advanced Volume Shampoo and Conditioner - the purple ones.  The shampoo gets hair squeaky clean but then the conditioner is super-conditioning and makes hair nice and soft.  I think the combination will make your fine hair good and clean yet still soft and full.  I'm a WEN girl but I tried this shampoo and conditioner and liked it and reach for it every once in a while.  It has a nice fresh-cut apple scent, too.  Smiley Happy  No matter what you go with, I hope you find the perfect formula for you! 

Honored Contributor

IMO - when you buy anything that says it adds volume it puts a coating of something on the hair shafts and those coatings build up and dull the hair - plus the hair can't support this extra weight and so just lies flat as that is all it can do. The hair shafts are so fine that they can't support the weight of extra coating on them. I have never been happier with my hair than I am now that I have decided to just accept it as it is and deal with it realistically.

Respected Contributor

Like you, I have fine hair and a ton of it. I mix things up a bit, changing often.

Here are some that work for me! I am just finishing up some shampoo and conditioner from Frederick Fekkai that were really rich and nice( Brilliance Shampoo and Color Technician Conditioner). Waiting in the stash is Pantene Sheer Volume both shampoo and conditioner, a "go to" for me. Lastly, I am a huge fan of Nick Chavez products, anything in his line is simply wonderful!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield